Windows 10: File Explorer not opening when choosing from START

Discus and support File Explorer not opening when choosing from START in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm curious if others are experiencing the following anomaly: 1) File Explorer is "pinned" to the Start menu (Windows 7 style view, i.e., not full... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LanceAughey, May 7, 2019.

1. File Explorer not opening when choosing from START

I'm curious if others are experiencing the following anomaly:

1) File Explorer is "pinned" to the Start menu (Windows 7 style view, i.e., not full menu)
    2) File Explorer is opened from the Start menu (first time) -- File Explorer opens with no trouble or time delay
    3) File Explorer is closed
    4) File Explorer is opened from the Start menu (second time; attempt can be immediate, with N sec/min/hr time delay and/or even after a system restart) -- FIle Explorer does not open
    5) With or without a N sec/min/hr time delay (I've waited 5-10+ minutes), click on the Start menu button -- File Explorer opens immediately (without actually having clicked on File Explorer again)
    6) File Explorer pin is removed
    7) Repeat steps 1-5 with the same result

This does not happen when opening File Explorer by:

1) Taskbar

2) Search/select

3) Desktop shortcut

When this was first brought to my attention, I Initially thought it was just the 1 computer/user, but then I determined it's all computers in a single company. A few days later, I discovered this happens in another company (single corporate IT Department managing assets in multiple subsidiaries). Making things ever more strange is that my home desktop, laptop and tablet experience the same oddity. I've attempted numerous corrections (i.e., SFC, DISM, system recovery, etc.), on a single system and created a new user profile, only to end up with the same result.

Commonalities include:

a) All are Dell-branded products

b) All are running build 1703 or higher
    c) All are using Microsoft Office 365

Differences include:

a) Not all systems built via automation, scripting, etc.

b) Not all systems are new Windows 10 deployments (some are upgrades)

c) Not all systems are managed by group policy

d) Not all systems are running the same flavor of Windows 10 (i.e., OEM Home, OEM Pro, Retail Home and Enterprise)

:)

LanceAughey, May 7, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 7, 2019
  3. Ralph Sta Win User
    File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, May 7, 2019
  4. File Explorer not opening when choosing from START

Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

Hi Casey,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the files/folders. I also appreciate your effort in trying to fix the issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any specific error code/error message while trying to open the file?
    2. Are you aware of any recent changes made on the device?
    3. Which version of Windows are running on your device?

Refer the article Which Windows operating system am I running for the information.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1

Restart Windows Explorer

1. Click on Start, type in “Task Manager
    2. Now go to Process tab. Click on Windows Explorer and
      Restart.
    3. Then check the status of the issue.
    4. If the issue still persist, try with the method 2.

Method 2

I suggest you to try the suggested steps from the article Fix File Explorer
    if it won't open or start
    and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 7, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer not opening when choosing from START

1. File Explorer not opening when choosing from START - Similar Threads - File Explorer opening

2. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  3. File Explorer crashes when opening folder/file from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashes when opening folder/file from OneDrive: File Explorer crashes freezes on click or right-click folder/file from OneDrive. It works fine on other Windows users. I have already tried: reseting the OD reinstalling the OD System File Checker turning off the detail/preview pane off Any more ideas?...
  4. File explorer not opening from start menu (repost)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu (repost): [ATTACH] REPOST, ORIGINAL HERE I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for...
  5. File explorer not opening from start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu: [ATTACH] I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for solutions but they were...
  6. Choose a default location when opening File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose a default location when opening File Explorer: Hello, Is it possible to choose a default location/folder to open when opening File Explorer from the task bar? Default is that it opens Quick access. I use OneDrive a lot, and would really like to see that I could set that to open that location. Is it possible to set...
  7. start menu file explorer missing & choosing folder disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu file explorer missing & choosing folder disabled: In start menu file explorer is missing & in settings--- personalization---- start---- choose folder option appears on start is disable I have attach some photos then help me please how enable choose which folder appears on start [img] [img] [img] 16438
  8. Error msg when opening DOCX from File Explorer - but it opens ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Error msg when opening DOCX from File Explorer - but it opens ?: Sometimes when I double click a DOCX in file explorer to open it in Word 2010 I get this message [img] But Word opens the file OK. If I close Word and double click it again it's OK. It's not a particular DOCX, it happens on any DOCX. But it appears to be any DOCX on...
  9. Inability to open file explorer from start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Inability to open file explorer from start menu: I am not able to open the file explorer through the option on the start menu, or by clicking on the file explorer pinned to the task bar. When I click the pinned file explorer the window that pops up says "Windows cannot find ''. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and...
  10. File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu.: File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu and right click on files and folders (In file explorer and on desktop) is not working and causes explorer.exe to freeze. File explorer does open from desktop folder and shortcuts as well as "open file location" in task...