Windows 10: File Explorer not opening while OneDrive is running

Discus and support File Explorer not opening while OneDrive is running in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I'm having this problem for a while now. Sometimes when I start my laptop, the file explorer doesn't open when I click on it. Even if I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HeitorCamarini, May 29, 2020.

1. File Explorer not opening while OneDrive is running

Hello,

I'm having this problem for a while now. Sometimes when I start my laptop, the file explorer doesn't open when I click on it. Even if I try to open some specific folders via the start/search bar. All of the times that it happens, the OneDrive program seems to not be working as well, because I try to click on the icon near the notifications button, but nothing happens when I do so.

I have tried to restart the file explorer via task manager, but it doesn't help, but if I shut down OneDrive via task manager, the files explorer starts working as usual, but without the OneDrive functions. If I start OneDrive after shutting it down and then opening file explorer, it works fine.

I have the always backup option on OneDrive enabled to the Desktop and Documents folders.

If I open a program, Excel for example, and try to access a file that is on OneDrive via that, it works normally.

Usually when I have this issue, I try to restart my laptop and it tends to go away, but I'm starting to have this issue more often, almost like a 50% chance of it happening when I start the computer.

Cheers.

:)

HeitorCamarini, May 29, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

You may try the steps listed below and check if it works.

Uninstall OneDrive:

• Search ‘CMD’ from the start menu and choose ‘Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy paste the following command and hit enter:

taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe
    • Copy paste the following command and hit enter once the command mentioned above is completed:

%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
    Delete OneDrive related files:

• Open ‘File Explorer’ and type ‘%UserProfile%\OneDrive’ in the address bar.
    • Select all the files and Delete.
    • Type ‘%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive’ in the address bar and tap Enter.
    • Right click the logs folder and Delete.
    • Delete all the files except the ‘Update’
      folder.
    • Type ‘%ProgramData%\Microsoft OneDrive’ in the address bar and tap Enter.
    • Delete all the files present there.
    • Type C:\OneDriveTemp in the address bar and tap Enter.
    • Delete all the files and restart the computer.

Reinstall OneDrive:

• Open File Explorer and type the following in the address bar:

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive
    • Double click the Update folder and run the
      OneDriveSetup file.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall OneDrive.

Check if the issue persists after reinstalling OneDrive.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Junaid_A, May 29, 2020
  3. Edwin Win User
    How can I "unhide" onedrive from file explorer

Open 'OneDrive' folder from the Start menu/AllApps list.

Edwin, May 29, 2020
  4. File Explorer not opening while OneDrive is running

OneDrive folders will not open in File Explorer

OneDrive folders (e.g. Documents, Pictures, etc.) will not open using File Explorer. File Explorer hangs. Folders and files using OneDrive app and OneDrive online work correctly. OneDrive folders do open correctly using a non-Microsoft file manager
    (TreeSize Personal).

donaldkaplan, May 29, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer not opening while OneDrive is running

1. File Explorer not opening while OneDrive is running - Similar Threads - File Explorer opening

2. OneDrive on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive on File Explorer: I have bought a new computer in Spain and finally got it set up in English, but I am having trouble with OneDrive on File Explorer. I have searched all the solutions, but the ones that say it should already be there you just need to sign in doesn´t help because it isn´t. When...
  3. Onedrive - Manually Loading always opens File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Onedrive - Manually Loading always opens File Explorer: G'day all When Onedrives loads at Startup it does so in the background. But when I load it up manually (ie: From the Start menu) everytime it will open File Explorer to see the Onedrive contents. Is there a way (even if done via batch file!) to prevent the File Explorer...
  4. .jar Files Open in Internet Explorer Instead of Running

.jar Files Open in Internet Explorer Instead of Running: I think this is a pretty common problem, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution. I need to run a .jar file, which I would normally do by double-clicking on it. However, the file now just opens in Internet Explorer, which tries to download it again. Does anyone...
  5. File Explorer takes a while to open

File Explorer takes a while to open: In the past few days I have noticed an odd behavour of File Explorer. If I try to open it from shortcut, Windows start menue or cmd it won't open. Also if i click on the windows start menue logo it won't open it opens only if I pres dedicated key on keyboard. After about 5...
  6. Onedrive Personal vault files open from explorer's recent files

Onedrive Personal vault files open from explorer's recent files: I have recently noticed that recently opend files from the onedrive personal vault can be opened from explorer recent files, despite the vault being locked. I my opinion that does not seem like a secure functionality Any explanation?...
  7. OneDrive in File Explorer

OneDrive in File Explorer: When I look at OneDrive in File Explorer, the only item in the OneDrive folder is my "Personal Vault" which is empty. When I open Excel, for example, I see a list of files I can open, all of which reside on OneDrive. I can open, edit, and save these files with no problem. But...
  8. Cannot open folders or files in Onedrive using Explorer

Cannot open folders or files in Onedrive using Explorer: This problem has been floating around the forum a bit but I never saw a resolution. When I try to open any files or folders in OneDrive using Explorer, it just sits and the blue circle pointer spins for a minute or two its painfully long then stops spinning ultimately and...
  9. OneDrive folders will not open in File Explorer

OneDrive folders will not open in File Explorer: OneDrive folders (e.g. Documents, Pictures, etc.) will not open using File Explorer. File Explorer hangs. Folders and files using OneDrive app and OneDrive online work correctly. OneDrive folders do open correctly using a non-Microsoft file manager (TreeSize Personal)....
  10. OneDrive and File Explorer

OneDrive and File Explorer: Users with permissions can view folders with OneDrive online. But not on their PC in File Explorer under OneDrive. How do I get them to be able to view that they see online in their File Explorer. I am able to see online and in my File Explorer....