Windows 10: File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File

Discus and support File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am facing a weird problem, where everything was fine and then every time I click a file in my File Explorer, it stops working and turns into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Karen Geraldine, May 1, 2019.

1. File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File

Hello,

I am facing a weird problem, where everything was fine and then every time I click a file in my File Explorer, it stops working and turns into "Not Responding". Opening folders work well. It happens only when I click on a file and try to delete it or move it.

I am running the latest version of Windows 10.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

:)

Karen Geraldine, May 1, 2019

2. File Explorer Not Responding

Hi,

I am following very clear instructions online in order to fix File Explorer Not Responding on my brand new computer. Instructions I am following are at this link: https://www.****/knowledge/windows-10-file-explorer-wont-open-solved/

I can get as far as Step 4 where I try to right click on Quick Access within the File Explorer but because it is Not Responding this action does not work and I have to close File Explorer.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get around this when File Explorer is Not Responding?

Alternatively, should I consider storing larger files in a different drive of the computer?

A little background: I have had this computer that came loaded with Windows 10 for about 1 month. The File Explorer would not respond when I first started using it (transferring in new files), and again recently when I have tried saving several (large) design
    files from Illustrator. This may be the culprit for it's bogging down; either that or perhaps because I just deleted 1000's of emails off of gmail? My text display size is at 100%.

Thank you.

ps I am not very computer savvy so please dumb down your responses!

CarlieBall, May 1, 2019
  3. File Explorer, Right click not responsive

Regarding your concern with File Explorer, we suggest that you follow these steps to resolve your query.

• Open File Explorer and click the View tab.
    • Click Options, and select Change folders and search options. The
      Folder Options window should pop up.
    • Click View tab and check mark “Always show icons, never thumbnails.”
      File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File 0a0866ea-811b-444d-836e-f29ca744e5b5.jpg
    • Click Apply and click Yes, when it asks, “Do you want all folders of this type to match this folder’s view settings?”
    • Click OK to close the Folder Options window and you may now use your File Explorer.

Let us know if the steps provided worked for you.

Genevieve Cri, May 1, 2019
  4. dustyb10 Win User

File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File

Win10 File Explorer r-click file properties "not responding"

One year old laptop upgraded to Win10 several months ago was working fine until about a week ago. Right click for file properties in file explorer results in "not responding" that never returns. Right clicking on either a file or folder result with the
    same problem. Right click can't copy, move or check properties with the mouse, because the context menu never shows. Left click and drag works OK to move files. Otherwise PC seems to work fine. Virus protection is current. Any suggestions?

dustyb10, May 1, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File

1. File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File - Similar Threads - File Explorer Responding

2. File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Not Responding: I can't upload or attach anything from file explorer regardless of browser. I can open File Explorer on its own but it doesn't respond when I want to upload files online or attach files to email. I tried changing to Microsoft Edge and Opera, and it's still the same....
  3. File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Not Responding: I can't upload or attach anything from file explorer regardless of browser. I can open File Explorer on its own but it doesn't respond when I want to upload files online or attach files to email. I tried changing to Microsoft Edge and Opera, and it's still the same....
  4. ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding: Hello, ive got a question, i cant RIGHT CLICK or DOUBLE CLICK or anything on files in explorer, if i do it makes it not responding, and also the cmd/powershell "run as administrator" is cant be open, it was working a while ago, but suddenly i have this problem, PLEASE HELP ME...
  5. ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding

ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding: Hello, ive got a question, i cant RIGHT CLICK or DOUBLE CLICK or anything on files in explorer, if i do it makes it not responding, and also the cmd/powershell "run as administrator" is cant be open, it was working a while ago, but suddenly i have this problem, PLEASE HELP ME...
  6. ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. File Explorer not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not responding: I have a 6 year old Lenovo desktop running Windows 10 with build 19041. Yesterday I installed a second hard disk that I plan to use for backups. My primary disk is a 2tb sata disk while this one is a 500mg sata drive from previous pc where it was the primary drive and ran...
  8. File Explorer not responding

File Explorer not responding: I have a 6 year old Lenovo desktop running Windows 10 with build 19041. Yesterday I installed a second hard disk that I plan to use for backups. My primary disk is a 2tb sata disk while this one is a 500mg sata drive from previous pc where it was the primary drive and ran...
  9. File Explorer- Not responding

File Explorer- Not responding: I have been getting frustrated lately as i have been trying to get my file explorer to work by finding solutions online. I've been attempting to drag and drop,delete and open files/ items. I am able to open things such as word documents but as soon as it opens file explorer...
  10. File Explorer Not Responding

File Explorer Not Responding: Hi, I am following very clear instructions online in order to fix File Explorer Not Responding on my brand new computer. Instructions I am following are at this link: https://www.****/knowledge/windows-10-file-explorer-wont-open-solved/ I can get as far as Step 4 where I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folders are not responding when i click on a file

2. File explorer not responding when double click on a file