Windows 10: File Explorer Not Responding --> Desktop Background Crashes --> Cannot Force Open Task Manager

Discus and support File Explorer Not Responding --> Desktop Background Crashes --> Cannot Force Open Task Manager in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! I have recently been experiencing a very frustrating problem. I have to use File Explorer extensively for my job, and I often have to move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ben3797, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Ben3797 Win User

File Explorer Not Responding --> Desktop Background Crashes --> Cannot Force Open Task Manager

Hello!

I have recently been experiencing a very frustrating problem. I have to use File Explorer extensively for my job, and I often have to move files around between folders via my workplace's Google File Stream cloud. Recently, there have been times where I open a folder or start to do something in File Explorer and it doesn't respond and greys out. From there, if I wait long enough or if I try to close File Explorer, it will not close but stay greyed out and my entire desktop background will vanish to a white screen--no wallpaper image, no application shortcuts, and no taskbar.

I tried looking for fixes, and many said to use Task Manager to forcefully end the non-responsive File Explorer session and run "explorer" to get the desktop back. However, I can't do any of this because after using ctrl-alt-delete and selecting "Task Manager" Task Manager will not open. I will try more than once to open Task Manager, but it simply refuses to appear.

Ultimately, I end up having to hold down the power button on my laptop to force a shutdown and then reboot it. Can anyone help me fix this issue? It is making my workflow exceptionally slower, and it has also forced me to drop off important video meetings with coworkers to shutdown and reboot my whole computer.

Computer/OS specs:

HP Omen 15 laptop

Intel i7-9750H CPU

16GB RAM

Windows 10 Home, ver. 1909

:)

Ben3797, Sep 15, 2020

2. file explorer and desktop icons wont open

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. Don’t worry. We will assist to resolve this issue.

We got reports/feedback that we are seeing some issues where the desktop icons is non-responsive. Please try the following steps and check if it resolves the file explorer and desktop icon issue:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task.
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
    • Type PowerShell.
    • Type the following in the PowerShell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    • Close the PowerShell window.
    • Reboot.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to follow the suggestion given by DrTarr1962 on the below mentioned thread and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...lorerexe/39ce47f7-24d5-4050-99f8-34ea323a5f0c

Let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Explorer and Task Manager do not respond

This is a random bug that occurred when I did the following:

1. Request to "save as" a file using Google Chrome

2. Explorer window to select destination never opened

3. Tried to open Task Manager and restart Explorer, Task Manager opened and stopped responding (nothing ever appeared)

4. Tried to open File Explorer but it never opens the window

5. Tried to open Task Manager using Ctrl + Alt + Del (the same thing happened) and some of my taskbar icons disappeared (shortcuts are still there, but have no image). Groove, Store, Email, Netflix and Messenger still have their icons. Chrome, Paint, Task
    Manager, Discord and other don't

6. Sent termination signal to the process "explorer.exe" using taskkill /IM explorer.exe, that didn't do anything

Zefir Zdravkov, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

File Explorer Not Responding --> Desktop Background Crashes --> Cannot Force Open Task Manager

eShell opens explorer(desktop) instead of file explorer

Welcome to TenForums.

I really can't understand why you need your user to sign in automatically but not get their Desktop. I'll assume you have your own good reasons.

By default running just Explorer.exe will start the Desktop (useful if you Desktop has crashed and needs restarting). Run it a second time and it opens as File Explorer.

If you want to run it just once and get File Explorer directly, you need to run a shell: command.

To open File Explorer at This PC use:
    explorer.exe shell:MyComputerFolder

...or to open at Personal Documents:
    explorer.exe shellFile Explorer Not Responding --> Desktop Background Crashes --> Cannot Force Open Task Manager :personal

...or for Public Documents:
    explorer.exe shell:Common Documents

See the tutorial: Shell Commands List for Windows 10

Thema:

1. File Explorer Not Responding --> Desktop Background Crashes --> Cannot Force Open Task Manager - Similar Threads - File Explorer Responding

2. Background desktop not responding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background desktop not responding: Hey! so, most of the times i click the right click on the mouse the blue thing of the mouse starts rotating and it dont stops, and when u spam click it it just like refreshes but still a cannot do anything to my apps example: im trying to extract something, but the blue mouse...
  3. Background desktop not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background desktop not responding: Hey! so, most of the times i click the right click on the mouse the blue thing of the mouse starts rotating and it dont stops, and when u spam click it it just like refreshes but still a cannot do anything to my apps example: im trying to extract something, but the blue mouse...
  4. Background desktop not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Task Manager Not Responding.

Task Manager Not Responding.: Adobe Support were unable to complete their work because Task Manager on Windows 11 kept giving error message "Task Manager Not Responding" and then hanging. Eventually contacted MS Support suggested I try a work around -"Perform SFC Scan & Repair Windows Image" but this...
  6. File Explorer Crashing and Not Responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Crashing and Not Responding: It's been 2 days since my File Explorer started to create problems. Sometimes whenever I try to rename or delete a file, File Explorer stops responding and crashes. If I try to move that file then it would be stuck at calculating but copying it works fine. Please provide me...
  7. task manager not responding

task manager not responding: is it normal to have task manager not responding i am using windows since the old age of win 3.1 this is first time i have seen this error. 166423
  8. Explorer not responding, Task Manager not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer not responding, Task Manager not opening: Hi all, I hope someone here can help me because I'm at my wit's end. I have a Surface Pro 4, running windows 10 that I hadn't turned on in about 4-6 weeks. Yesterday I tried it and to my despair could not log in - the log in screens were super slow and when they came back...
  9. Explorer and Task Manager do not respond

Explorer and Task Manager do not respond: This is a random bug that occurred when I did the following: 1. Request to "save as" a file using Google Chrome 2. Explorer window to select destination never opened 3. Tried to open Task Manager and restart Explorer, Task Manager opened and stopped responding nothing ever...
  10. Task Manager and File Explorer won't open

Task Manager and File Explorer won't open: The OS is WIndows 10. Getting some issues trying to open the File Explorer. Other applications will open normally, but File Explorer won't open. I attempted to open Task Manager, first via ctrl+alt+del, then via Run. Neither method would allow the Task Manager to actually...