Windows 10: File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach Word file to Gmail

Discus and support File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach Word file to Gmail in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem attaching Office files to a Gmail email. When I create an email in Gmail running in Chrome and try to attach a Word or Excel file from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mike_B23, May 28, 2019.

1. Mike_B23 Win User

File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach Word file to Gmail

I have a problem attaching Office files to a Gmail email. When I create an email in Gmail running in Chrome and try to attach a Word or Excel file from my documents folder, the attach process freezes and I see the message Open (Not Responding) in the File Explorer window. I then have to close Chrome and restart it. The issue is sporadic but has been getting much worse in the last few days.

I sometimes get the same problem just in File Explorer; as soon as I select an Office document File Explorer freezes and see <path> Not Responding.

I get the same issue running Gmail in Edge.

PDFs, JPGs etc attach OK.

Switching off the preview pane seems to help in File Explorer (I don’t know if it is completely solved) but not in Gmail attach.

Sfc/scannow run in safe mode gave this report:

“Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.”

I have run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, ScanHealth and RestoreHealth with no problems reported.

I am running Windows 10 and my installation is up to date (May 19, 2019—KB4505064 (OS Build 17134.766) - applies to: Windows 10, version 1803. C: has 236GB fee space

I would appreciate specific help on the next steps.

:)

Mike_B23, May 28, 2019
  2. susan44# Win User

can't attach word doc to gmail in Windows 10.

I'm unable to attach a Word doc to gmail in Windows 10. Never happened in Windows 7. File explorer doesn't respond, freezes and then Chrome crashes when I try to close Explorer. Is there a workaround or fix for this? Don't send attachments very frequently,
    but think I have been able to do so in Windows 10 on another occasion.

susan44#, May 28, 2019
  3. File Explorer Not Responding

Hi,

I am following very clear instructions online in order to fix File Explorer Not Responding on my brand new computer. Instructions I am following are at this link: https://www.****/knowledge/windows-10-file-explorer-wont-open-solved/

I can get as far as Step 4 where I try to right click on Quick Access within the File Explorer but because it is Not Responding this action does not work and I have to close File Explorer.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get around this when File Explorer is Not Responding?

Alternatively, should I consider storing larger files in a different drive of the computer?

A little background: I have had this computer that came loaded with Windows 10 for about 1 month. The File Explorer would not respond when I first started using it (transferring in new files), and again recently when I have tried saving several (large) design
    files from Illustrator. This may be the culprit for it's bogging down; either that or perhaps because I just deleted 1000's of emails off of gmail? My text display size is at 100%.

Thank you.

ps I am not very computer savvy so please dumb down your responses!

CarlieBall, May 28, 2019
  4. File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach Word file to Gmail

New files or folders do not show up in the attachment window for email and sometimes not in File Explorer

Hi. Since changing my laptop I have been unable to easily attach files to my emails. It seems that new files do not show up when the attachment window opens. This happens with Gmail using Chrome and Firefox, and also Thunderbird. This suggest to me that
    there is a problem with Windows itself as it is not able to access the new files.

Nor are the files currently showing up in File Explorer!!!!! They never show up even after restarting the laptop.

These are Word documents and they do show in the Recent File list in Word and in the Recent Files window in File Explorer - just not in the folder I have saved them to. Also I created a new folder which does not show in File Explorer.

I have tried to follow the suggested fixes which seem to concentrate around showing hidden files - the hidden files box is not checked when I look at the properties.

Please help. I want to email some files right now and I can't work out how to do so.

GillianCalvert, May 28, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach Word file to Gmail

1. File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach Word file to Gmail - Similar Threads - File Explorer responding

2. File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach files: When I create an email in Gmail and try to attach a file to an email the file explorer opens a blank window and stops responding. The attach process freezes and I see the message Open Not Responding in the File Explorer window. I then have to close Chrome what the issue could...
  3. File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach files: When I create an email in Gmail and try to attach a file to an email the file explorer opens a blank window and stops responding. The attach process freezes and I see the message Open Not Responding in the File Explorer window. I then have to close Chrome what the issue could...
  4. File Explorer freezes in Windows 11 when I am trying to attach a file over Gmail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes in Windows 11 when I am trying to attach a file over Gmail: Hello , Each time I try to attach a file over gmail , file explorer freezes or takes a lot of time to respond . It takes a lot of time to navigate across folders of the desktop or the PC drives . Earlier I was facing this issue when I click on the Downloads folder to attach a...
  5. File Explorer freezes in Windows 11 when I am trying to attach a file over Gmail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer freezes in Windows 11 when I am trying to attach a file over Gmail: Hello , Each time I try to attach a file over gmail , file explorer freezes or takes a lot of time to respond . It takes a lot of time to navigate across folders of the desktop or the PC drives . Earlier I was facing this issue when I click on the Downloads folder to attach a...
  6. File Explorer/Onedrive - Word and Excel Files not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer/Onedrive - Word and Excel Files not responding: I had been having trouble opening OneDrive Word and Excel files from File Explorer. A search led to this post: File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding - Microsoft Community. My solution was to repair Office, as advised by the A. User post -...
  7. Searching and attaching files in Gmail File explorer HELP??

Searching and attaching files in Gmail File explorer HELP??: Has anyone had this issue in Gmail and can you help. When I am in Gmail and go to attach a file. The file explorer comes up , but when I try and search for a file. It Types the wrong letters in not allowing you to search correctly. I have windows 10. This only occurs in...
  8. File explorer not responding with word docment

File explorer not responding with word docment: When I go to delete a word file in file explorer it freezes and says not responding however i can delete other files what can i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-responding-with-word-docment/a4cac504-0bbe-4ce6-b642-1c0d7a85fb5b
  9. File Picker UI Host not Responding when attaching Excel or Word doc's to Gmail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Picker UI Host not Responding when attaching Excel or Word doc's to Gmail: Shortly after installing the latest Win10 updates in Feb 2019 I started receiving the File Picker UI Host not Responding error when attempting to select an Excel or Word document to a gmail when using Chrome, IE, or Edge. I can attach pdf doc's. I have even installed EasyMail...
  10. File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding

File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding: When I open File Explorer I can see all my folders and documents. If, for example, I open a folder in One Drive and choose a word or excel file, it will not open. I get the message that the file folder is not responding. I am able to access the files by using Excel or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file picker ui host freezes

2. attachment gmail crash chrome

3. attach a file in chrome working on it

4. file picker ui crashing,
  5. gmail file explorer not responding in google chrome,
  6. search in file explorer when attaching to email,
  7. ui file picker freezing,
  8. excel not responding as soon as it opens,
  9. file picker,
  10. ERROR WHEN fILE ATTACH IN GMAIL,
  11. unable to attach .txt document to word file,
  12. file picker ui error,
  13. windows explorer preview pane word document one drive www.windowsphoneinfo.com,
  14. how to fix file picker ui host,
  15. file picker ui host