Windows 10: File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file

Discus and support File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am unable to open any Office files from File Explorer. I can open them if I am within the applications itself, but not directly from the explorer. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nicole Cox ncox, Jan 22, 2021.

1. File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file

I am unable to open any Office files from File Explorer. I can open them if I am within the applications itself, but not directly from the explorer.

I am able to open non-Office related files such as Adobe PDFs, etc.. When I do try to open an office file it will show "not responding" until I force close it and it restarts, but the same thing will happen again.

I have already reviewed answers to similar questions and have tried the following to no avail:

- Restarting PC

- Resetting thefile Explorer Process by accessing SYSDM.CPL, checked the Performance Options / Virtual Memory / etc

- Restarted Explorer this way: Right click Start button to open Task Manager, show More Details, then choose Processes tab, scroll down to Windows Processes, then further down to Windows Explorer. Right click to Restart, click OK. Restart PC

- Repaired Office at Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Microsoft Office > Advanced Options > Modify > Repair.

- Reviewed Display settings text size --- I saw this as a suggestion somewhere, but my text size was fine.

- Ran "scannow" command - no issues were found.

Any other suggestions?

:)

Nicole Cox ncox, Jan 22, 2021
  2. Noommii Win User

File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files

Every time I open File Explorer (Windows 10), it works perfectly fine until I click on a Word or Powerpoint document. The window freezes and is "Not Responding". This happens when I double-click to open the file, and even when I just click on the file to
    drag it into another folder.

I can open other files such as pictures and music with no problem. When I open the actual Word or Powerpoint programs and open the same file through there, it opens with no problem. File Explorer only crashes when I click on the Office document through my
    File Explorer. How can I fix this?

Noommii, Jan 22, 2021
  3. MS Office file taking too long to open in File Explorer. File Explorer shows not responding for atleast 5 minutes.

MS Office 2016 file taking too long to open in File Explorer. File Explorer shows not responding for atleast 5 minutes in Windows 10 Home.

online_raj, Jan 22, 2021
  4. Gabzee501 Win User

File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file

File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files

Every time I open File Explorer (Windows 10), it works perfectly fine until I click on a Word or Powerpoint document. The window freezes and is "Not Responding". This happens when I double-click to open the file, and even when I just click on the file to
    drag it into another folder.

I can open other files such as pictures and music with no problem. When I open the actual Word or Powerpoint programs and open the same file through there, it opens with no problem. File Explorer only crashes when I click on the Office document through my
    File Explorer. How can I fix this?

This is from the Control Panel Problem Reports:

File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file d3a70e4e-6705-454e-bf03-c00702b13609?upload=true.png

Gabzee501, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file

1. File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file - Similar Threads - File Explorer responding

2. File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach files: When I create an email in Gmail and try to attach a file to an email the file explorer opens a blank window and stops responding. The attach process freezes and I see the message Open Not Responding in the File Explorer window. I then have to close Chrome what the issue could...
  3. File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not responding, especially when trying to attach files: When I create an email in Gmail and try to attach a file to an email the file explorer opens a blank window and stops responding. The attach process freezes and I see the message Open Not Responding in the File Explorer window. I then have to close Chrome what the issue could...
  4. File Explorer Not Responding with MS Office Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Not Responding with MS Office Files: Every time I open File Explorer Windows 10, version 20H2, OS build 19042.630, it works perfectly fine until I click on a Word, Excel or Powerpoint document. The window freezes and is "Not Responding". This happens when I double-click to open the file, and even when I just...
  5. File explorer not responding when I open a specific folder

File explorer not responding when I open a specific folder: Hi, My file explore kept crashing when I try to open the download folder. No access issue with other folders, so I'm not sure what is going on. Thanks for the help....
  6. Whenever I try to open .docx any office file the file explorer crash and not responding...

Whenever I try to open .docx any office file the file explorer crash and not responding...: My laptop is Acer Aspire 3 Windows 10 Version 1909 OS Build 18363.778 Source Windows Explorer Summary Stopped responding and was closed Date ‎23-‎04-‎2020 14:23 Status Report sent Description A problem caused this program to stop interacting with...
  7. File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files

File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files: Every time I open File Explorer (Windows 10), it works perfectly fine until I click on a Word or Powerpoint document. The window freezes and is "Not Responding". This happens when I double-click to open the file, and even when I just click on the file to drag it into another...
  8. Why File Explorer not responding when I selected on Microsoft Office?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why File Explorer not responding when I selected on Microsoft Office?: Why File Explorer not responding when I selected on any file of[ATTACH]Microsoft Office? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-file-explorer-not-responding-when-i-selected/0a009638-e8f4-4dd7-9634-46b661ed0cb1
  9. File Explorer not responding when I try or after opening document

File Explorer not responding when I try or after opening document: Hello, I just bought a new notebook but after a week problem arise. Whenever I open document from File Explorer it became not responding. It happen when I tried and after opening document. I need to restart Explorer when I want to open document. Please help me and thank...
  10. File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files

File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files: Every time I open File Explorer (Windows 10), it works perfectly fine until I click on a Word or Powerpoint document. The window freezes and is "Not Responding". This happens when I double-click to open the file, and even when I just click on the file to drag it into another...