Windows 10: File explorer not returning the same results on different computer

Discus and support File explorer not returning the same results on different computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, maybe somebody will be able to point me in the right direction. I have the following files in a folder: 123abcdef.txt 456abcdef.txt 789abcdef.txt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sylayo, Jan 9, 2019.

1. sylayo Win User

File explorer not returning the same results on different computer

Hi,

maybe somebody will be able to point me in the right direction.

I have the following files in a folder:
    123abcdef.txt
    456abcdef.txt
    789abcdef.txt
    abcdef.txt

On my own computer, I can open this folder in the file explorer and enter abc in the search box. All those files will be found.
    On some other laptop, entering abc will only return the file abcdef.txt. To have all the files, we have to enter *abc

I suspect it's a config somewhere but I can't find it.

Any idea?

Thanks

:)

sylayo, Jan 9, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 7 File Sharing between computers, PROBLEMS!!

Just do a file transfer in explorer from one computer to the other and see what speed you get. I would suggest avoiding homegroup and using a proper network setup instead.

newtekie1, Jan 9, 2019
  3. John Ado Win User
    File Explorer resetting to Details after Anniversary Update

Hi,

Let's get this sorted out. We suggest you try these troubleshooting steps:

• Start the Windows in clean boot. To do this, follow the steps
      here
    • Once in clean boot environment, change the settings again to set it back to
      List
      . Normally, changing the view style in the bottom right of the window and exiting File Explorer should do the trick. The next time you open File Explorer, it should default to the last view style selected.
    • If the issue persist, let's run SFC scan to look for corrupted files. Here's
      how
    • Restart the computer normally.

Share with us the results.

Thanks.

John Ado, Jan 9, 2019
  4. File explorer not returning the same results on different computer

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

File explorer not returning the same results on different computer

1. File explorer not returning the same results on different computer - Similar Threads - File explorer returning

2. File Explorer not returning any results when searching metadata of JPG photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not returning any results when searching metadata of JPG photos: Here's the setup:Running Windows 11Have added additional metadata to jpg photos, for example added the word "tree" to the Tags fieldGo to the folder where that jpg is at and enter "Tags:tree" into the search boxNo resultsForced a complete rebuild of the index, still no...
  3. File Explorer not returning any results when searching metadata of JPG photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not returning any results when searching metadata of JPG photos: Here's the setup:Running Windows 11Have added additional metadata to jpg photos, for example added the word "tree" to the Tags fieldGo to the folder where that jpg is at and enter "Tags:tree" into the search boxNo resultsForced a complete rebuild of the index, still no...
  4. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 "tests", same PC, different results...: If I want windows 11, How can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-tests-same-pc-different-results/264d9564-5134-4c5e-af64-edee3447b4f9
  5. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 "tests", same PC, different results...: If I want windows 11, How can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-tests-same-pc-different-results/264d9564-5134-4c5e-af64-edee3447b4f9
  6. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Exact same .txt files looks different on different computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exact same .txt files looks different on different computers: I have a barcode scanner that saves barcodes as .txt files , which we upload to a PC. One of my drivers .txt files however are not formatted correctly, for some reason the lines are double spaced on the files she emails in. I got the scanner from her and when I open the .txt...
  8. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results": Many times the Win10 File Explorer works fine, but some times it returns "No results" even if there are obvious matches in the list. Repeating the search does not help. Changing to other directories and doing different searches sometimes works, and sometimes returning to...
  9. Understanding different memtest86 results with same memory modules

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understanding different memtest86 results with same memory modules: Hi, First of all, I'm sorry in case this is not the right forum. I thought "general" was the best fit because the one with bsods requieres other information. I've had this PC since 2012 and never had a problem. I had 2 memory sticks same brand same speed (1333), 2gb each....
  10. File Explorer, different results for search then all folders set for

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer, different results for search then all folders set for: I have set all folders and subsfolders to view DETAILS - no matter what I do and I have spend three days searching for the answer - I cannot get a search result in Win 10 File explorer to show anything but the attached view. The search only always comes back with "Content"...