Windows 10: File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive

Discus and support File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I plugged an external "A" drive into my computer via a USB port with File Explorer open. The "A" drive shows up, but only for about 2 seconds and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tim1901, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Tim1901 Win User

File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive

I plugged an external "A" drive into my computer via a USB port with File Explorer open. The "A" drive shows up, but only for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. I changed USB ports and it does the same. I checked Device Manager under "Floppy Drives" and it shows the "A" drive connected. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!!

:)

Tim1901, Nov 12, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 12, 2019
  3. My External Toshiba DVD Drive doesn't show up

Hi Charsmann,

The above issue might occur if a drive letter is not allotted to the external drive.

Please reply, did you try removing and re-plugging the driver to the PC?

Since the drive shows in Device manager, I suggest you to remove the external drive and re-plug to check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, check if you are able to open the drive via
    Disk management
    by following the steps below:

• Connect the external drive to the PC, press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option from the context menu. Check if the drive is visible in the window.
    • If visible, right click on the external drive and select Open. Check if you are able to open the drive in
      File Explorer.
    • Close the Disk management window, open File Explorer (Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard) and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the external drive not showing in File Explorer on the PC for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 12, 2019
  4. gegjr Win User

External drives show twice in file explorer

In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in file explorer. Once under This PC and again under Desktop. How do eliminate one?

gegjr, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive - Similar Threads - File Explorer Showing

2. Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive: I just updated my Lenovo computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and all of my drives were there. Updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 this morning and now only have one of my external drives. The external 1 TB external is there and working but the 80 GB WD Passport isn't...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive: I just updated my Lenovo computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and all of my drives were there. Updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 this morning and now only have one of my external drives. The external 1 TB external is there and working but the 80 GB WD Passport isn't...
  4. File Explorer showing external drive connected to router as empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer showing external drive connected to router as empty: Hi, any help would be appreciated. I have CAX30 AX2700 modem router with USB connected external 8GB drive. I use the drive for playing videos only through Plex Media. The system is Windows 11 Home, 64 Until yesterday everything was working just fine. The external drive was...
  5. External Seagate Hard Drive not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Seagate Hard Drive not showing in File Explorer: My Seagate Plus Hard Drive was working fine, I went on a trip and took it with me. It was in a padded case and protected. I tried to plug it into my laptop which is running Windows 10, and it wouldn't show up in File Explorer. I came home and tried it on the computer that...
  6. External Hard Drive not showing up in File Explorer

External Hard Drive not showing up in File Explorer: I have an external hard drive that I can't get to show up in the file explorer, I can see the drive in disk management though. I was thinking the drive doesn't have a letter assigned to it so maybe that's the problem but it won't let me give it one or change it from disk...
  7. External drive not showing in Explorer

External drive not showing in Explorer: Windows10 l have plugged a fairly new Samsung 1TB external drive into two different computers but it doesn’t show up in File Explorer or Disk Management. The blue indicator is lit on the drive. When I click the icon on the status bar, it shows Eject Samsung M3 Portable....
  8. External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in...: External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in file explorer. Once under This PC and again under Desktop. How do eliminate one? According to support this isn't a flaw. I consider it to be a design flaw. The second appearance of...
  9. External drives show twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    External drives show twice in file explorer: In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in file explorer. Once under This PC and again under Desktop. How do eliminate one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drives-show-twice-in-file-explorer/252c30a0-b538-4b32-b172-cad98e68cee4
  10. du[plicate external drive showing up in file explorer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    du[plicate external drive showing up in file explorer: du[plicate external drive showing up in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-external-drive-showing-up-in-file/4160f493-796c-4b75-b191-dad4ec94c0b9"