Windows 10: File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Discus and support File Explorer not showing thumbnails in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dgo47, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Dgo47 Win User

File Explorer not showing thumbnails

My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps.
    When I browse folders containing pictures. at first it displays thumbnails ( as it should ) and then immediately all thumbnails change to default icon.
    When I double click any icon, it opens in its associated program correctly.

I have tried and checked all things commonly being referred when I have Googled my problem. .
    I have checked all the common places like organize folder -> view -> 'always show icons never thumbnails' is unchecked
    I have checked group policy settings.

Grateful if someone could point me in the correct direction to rectify this problem!

Many thanks,

:)

Dgo47, Oct 4, 2019
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Oct 4, 2019
  3. ste0 Win User
    PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 file explorer

In Acrobat Reader DC, go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

This should show thumbnails in File Explorer. For some reason, my selection got turned off (not by me). Check your settings again. I have done this same step for numerous computers now, and so far they all work.

The first time you do this, Adobe Reader DC actually has a pop-up saying something like installing a add-on or extension. If you don't see this, then I suggest a reinstall of the latest DC.

ste0, Oct 4, 2019
  4. d0gknees Win User

Thumbnail support for Adobe Applications within Windows Explorer

The OP doesn't want icons, they want to see thumbnails showing an image of the document contents for all the Adobe file types listed.

d0gknees, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer not showing thumbnails - Similar Threads - File Explorer showing

2. Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing: I've tried everything for fixing this. Clearing the cache of the thumbnails, unchecking the always show icons not thumbnails, and a lot of the things online. I still can't find a solution. One thing I might think it might be is that the thumbnails arent loading which I...
  3. Why aren't my video thumbnails showing in file explorer?

Why aren't my video thumbnails showing in file explorer?: [ATTACH] no links to websites please. no one wants to read it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-arent-my-video-thumbnails-showing-in-file/4bbdcc10-ece9-4000-984c-7fcb906d33ed"
  4. Why aren't my video thumbnails showing in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why aren't my video thumbnails showing in file explorer?: [ATTACH] no links to websites please. no one wants to read it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-arent-my-video-thumbnails-showing-in-file/4bbdcc10-ece9-4000-984c-7fcb906d33ed
  5. File Explorer doesn't show thumbnails for photo files such as JPEGs, TIFFs, or others?

File Explorer doesn't show thumbnails for photo files such as JPEGs, TIFFs, or others?: When I open File Explorer instead of showing a thumbnail of the picture it shows an icon representing the picture file. This is rather recent and I suspect another "new and improved" update. I remove the last update but that didn't help. Also, this same thing happens on mu...
  6. File explorer missing thumbnails

File explorer missing thumbnails: How to find thumbnails instead of icons in file explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-missing-thumbnails/57dcfeb0-3cff-4a19-9a9a-2dcd3f113775"
  7. Windows 10 File Explorer not showing video files in thumbnail format

Windows 10 File Explorer not showing video files in thumbnail format: I've seen this question asked several times before within the community, as of yet I've not seen a solution to my problem. Until several days ago I wasn't having this problem, File Explorer was working correctly and all my video files were being shown in thumbnail format....
  8. Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes: Hello, I noticed yesterday that after using File Explorer for a short while, it stops showing any thumbnails, and only shows a plain white icon, not even the default icon for a file type. I tried all the usual methods for showing thumbnails, but to no avail. Then, after...
  9. .PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    .PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer?: I use Windows 10, but ever since upgrade from XP to windows 7, PSD thumbnails are not showing in windows explorer, as jpg and gif does. Tried this solution but nothing changed: How to enable Thumbnail view for Photoshop PSD files in Windows 7 any solution? 27245
  10. Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer: I've ran Disk Cleaner to delete the thumbnails. I've deleted the thumbnail caches via command prompt (Admin). I've gone through View/Options/View and made sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was not checked. And still, I cannot get thumbnails for my .mp4...