Windows 10: File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Discus and support File Explorer not showing thumbnails in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dgo47, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Dgo47 Win User

File Explorer not showing thumbnails

My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps.
    When I browse folders containing pictures. at first it displays thumbnails ( as it should ) and then immediately all thumbnails change to default icon.
    When I double click any icon, it opens in its associated program correctly.

I have tried and checked all things commonly being referred when I have Googled my problem. .
    I have checked all the common places like organize folder -> view -> 'always show icons never thumbnails' is unchecked
    I have checked group policy settings.

Grateful if someone could point me in the correct direction to rectify this problem!

Many thanks,

:)

Dgo47, Oct 4, 2019
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Oct 4, 2019
  3. ste0 Win User
    PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 file explorer

In Acrobat Reader DC, go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

This should show thumbnails in File Explorer. For some reason, my selection got turned off (not by me). Check your settings again. I have done this same step for numerous computers now, and so far they all work.

The first time you do this, Adobe Reader DC actually has a pop-up saying something like installing a add-on or extension. If you don't see this, then I suggest a reinstall of the latest DC.

ste0, Oct 4, 2019
  4. d0gknees Win User

Thumbnail support for Adobe Applications within Windows Explorer

The OP doesn't want icons, they want to see thumbnails showing an image of the document contents for all the Adobe file types listed.

d0gknees, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer not showing thumbnails - Similar Threads - File Explorer showing

2. Explorer not showing thumbnails.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer not showing thumbnails.: Recently I noticed Windows 10 Explorer was becoming very slow. I followed some online advice to try and rectify this stupid of me - should have come here first. Now many thumbnails are not showing in Explorer. I would really appreciate any help....
  3. File explorer thumbnails not showing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer thumbnails not showing.: Recently file explorer stopped showing the thumbnails and showed a white file in its place. I tried going into view and changing the settings but it was all normal. [ATTACH]...
  4. Thumbnails not showing in file explorer

Thumbnails not showing in file explorer: I don't know if this is still happening to anyone else but recently all the thumbnails/icons for my files are not showing up. It happened either late last night or earlier today out of the blue and nothing is working to fix it. Does anyone know any methods to fix the issue?...
  5. File Explorer Not Showing Photo Thumbnails

File Explorer Not Showing Photo Thumbnails: Hello, I'm beyond frustrated. I'm trying to batch delete a bunch of photos at once but my file explorer is not showing the thumbnails so I am having to open each file to see what they are. This is way too time consuming. I've already done a search and followed some...
  6. Some File Explorer thumbnails don't show

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some File Explorer thumbnails don't show: Just a couple of days ago I updated Windows 10 to v1909 from v1809. However, since the update, some MP4 video files don't show their thumbnails in File Explorer like in the previous version. I have no problem with videos that have a thumbnail embedded in the file. But some...
  7. Windows 10 File Explorer Thumbnails not showing

Windows 10 File Explorer Thumbnails not showing: I have gone through all the suggested changes in views but I still cannot view the thumbnails of my photos. How do I change it from Icons to thumbnails - very frustrated...
  8. File Explorer is not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer is not showing thumbnails: My Canon camera has the updated firmware. When I downloaded to the PC and opened the File Explorer, I saw just icons rather than thumbnails. It is Canon RP file extension cr3. Other file extensions show thumbnails. How to solve this problem??...
  9. Picture thumbnails not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Picture thumbnails not showing in File Explorer: Hi, I installed a Preview program for 3D files and now for some reason JPEGs aren't showing a preview. I installed SageThumbs, didn't work. Changed the thumbnail options in Folders, didn't work! How can I reset the image previews for files? Or at the very least JPEGs?...
  10. Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer: I've ran Disk Cleaner to delete the thumbnails. I've deleted the thumbnail caches via command prompt (Admin). I've gone through View/Options/View and made sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was not checked. And still, I cannot get thumbnails for my .mp4...