Windows 10: File Explorer oddities and unresponsive since 1809

Discus and support File Explorer oddities and unresponsive since 1809 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 1803 was working fine. Last night I (finally) got the upgrade pushed to me. I had to reset a bunch of settings, very annoying. I had to re-install one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SaladGoat, Feb 10, 2019.

1. SaladGoat Win User

File Explorer oddities and unresponsive since 1809

1803 was working fine. Last night I (finally) got the upgrade pushed to me.
    I had to reset a bunch of settings, very annoying.
    I had to re-install one program. Why?
    I had to re-add little hacks that make things work right.

For instance: I often open a bunch of images at once - highlight 20 or 30 in File Explorer and Enter and open them in my image editor. But for some reason if I highlight more than 15 images, nothing seems to happen. Except my Desktop wallpaper changes to one of the highlighted pictures. Like Microsoft thinks I want to change the folder for my Desktop wallpaper. Huh?

So I found a Registry entry to fix that. Which I had found before. Why does Microsoft erase such things when upgrading?

Today it happened again - opening 27 images and nothing happened and the wallpaper changed. I checked (Windows re-started the computer again overnight), but that Registry key was still there. Hmm.

The problem was that, among the 26 jpgs, there was one gif. Un-highlight that gif and the rest open fine. Or highlight the gif with only 14 or fewer jpgs and they all open fine. Huh? I don't know how to fix that. Can you help?

The thing that is really annoying me though is that File Explorer becomes unresponsive - without ever saying so.

I tried to delete a handful of items a few times. The delete window comes up and says it's "calculating" but it's not.
    After using Task Manager to restart "Windows Explorer" a few times I noticed that if I highlighted four items, the red X (for deleting) in the File Explorer toolbar would go grey, and then I couldn't delete anything.
    It's really frustrating and I'm hoping someone can help, but I'm just about to hit the Go Back button, because this is unusable.

Edit/Update: I just highlighted three files only and deleted using the red X. Now the red X is grey. Must restart Windows Explorer just to delete something else!

Thanks!

:)

SaladGoat, Feb 10, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

File Explorer oddities and unresponsive since 1809 [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Feb 10, 2019
  3. HELP: Photoshop unresponsive and unsaved files

I found the files, it's

Photoshop Temp93423479

and some files like this:
    ~E6AB56.tmp

And I also dumped the whole process to a DMP file.

EDIT: hotkeys didn't work because the process was unresponsive

RuskiSnajper, Feb 10, 2019
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer oddities and unresponsive since 1809 - Similar Threads - File Explorer oddities

2. File Explorer & Task Bar Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer & Task Bar Unresponsive: Whenever a second user logs in on my machine, they do not have access to FIle Explorer and the Task Bar is unresponsive. I am able to fix the issue by forcing the other account to sign off in the User portion of the Task Manager. If the initial account then logs back in, it...
  3. Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903): Hello! I'm encountering a bit of odd behavior when working with the Start Menu in Windows Server 1809, but I've verified the issue in Win10 1903 as well. All in all, it's a two part issue. Part one: Start layout width does not seem to be saved when using Export-StartLayout...
  4. Lost 'View' of files since 1809 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost 'View' of files since 1809 upgrade: Since last update (1809) I have lost any "view" of drives and files except 'General' in File Explorer. If I try to change the view to Music or Documents, Pictures or Videos, it just goes back to General. Is there a setting anywhere that will correct this? Thanks for any...
  5. Applications unresponsive since 1809 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Applications unresponsive since 1809 update: Hi, 2 weeks ago I autoupgraded to 1809. (i7, 16gb ram, ssd) Things like installing apps would hang the machine and restrting wouldnt work either, and it would just sit their saying 'restarting' and never do anything, shut down is the same. Do I rebuilt my pc using the...
  6. Windows Explorer unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer unresponsive: My windows explorer is frozen and I can't fix it. Everything seems to work except the explorer.exe. I tried restarting, sfc /scannow and the first 2 recommendations in this page but nothing worked...
  7. Windows Explorer Unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer Unresponsive: I am finding that, after an unknown period of time, Windows Explorer becomes completely unresponsive. I cannot open the Start menu or the task manager. The mouse pointer will move around the desktop area; but, the pointer is only what I believe is the cursor file for waiting....
  8. HomeGroup and network connectivity oddities since upgrading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HomeGroup and network connectivity oddities since upgrading: Update Aug 15th: The network issues have been resolved by modifying SMB2 settings in the registry, as per my posts on page 2. Now, just a persistent HomeGroup error remains. ------------ Ok, first off, a quick run-down on my setup - the "core" of my network consists of a...
  9. Windows Explorer unresponsiveness

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer unresponsiveness: I'm having strange Windows Explorer problems. Right clicking may cause it to freeze up, or attempting to load folders that contain certain file extensions (in particular .iso). Out of curiosity about it, I'd even renamed an existing file to .iso. Though the rename succeeded,...
  10. No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities)

in Windows 10 Support
    No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities): Hi, a botched Win7 update on windowsupdate forced me to reinstall Windows, so I went Win10 10130. Got most of the stuff working the way I want by googling and the help of way cleverer People than I. Here's what I cant - for the life of me - figure out: I cannot drag...