Windows 10: File Explorer open containing folder not highlighting selected item

Discus and support File Explorer open containing folder not highlighting selected item in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In older versions of windows When i did a search and right click on a item and select open containing folder it used go straight to that item. But with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by audjack99aus8, Aug 4, 2015.

1. File Explorer open containing folder not highlighting selected item

In older versions of windows When i did a search and right click on a item and select open containing folder it used go straight to that item. But with windows it justs open the folder then you have to again for the same file.

Is there any way to get the old search functions back please.

Thanks*092

:)

audjack99aus8, Aug 4, 2015
  2. KenOates Win User

Unable to highlight files in File Explorer

When I open File Explorer, and navigate the folders in the left pane, they highlight. When I try to select a file or folder in the right hand pane they do not highlight. You can double click and the file of folder opens, but unless you are careful you
    cannot be sure which file you are actually opening.

KenOates, Aug 4, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Mouse double clicking

That is old school now. Hover to highlight and select, single click to open works for most of us. But if you really need double click--

Open File Explorer, Change Folder & Search Options, General Tab. More specific instructions--

Open Item by Single Click or Double Clicks on Windows 10

mlg63, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

File Explorer open containing folder not highlighting selected item

1. File Explorer open containing folder not highlighting selected item - Similar Threads - File Explorer open

2. Files in File Explorer are not selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files in File Explorer are not selected: Prior the issue File Explorer kept a selected file selected. I could select a file, then open it, save etc. without having to click on the mouse. Currently folder settings in File Explorer have changed because the file I have opened is not stayed selected anymore. I have to...
  3. How do you create a new folder containing multiple selected files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you create a new folder containing multiple selected files?: ... it is a very simple question. How do I create a new folder from a selection? I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out on my own, but hey, here we are. Anyone?...
  4. Change Windows 10 File Explorer items Highlight colors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Windows 10 File Explorer items Highlight colors: When I open File Explorer in Windows 10, using the dark theme, I want the colors of highlighted items to be different. Previous versions of Windows allowed much more granular customization of environmental items. Those options seem to be gone. When I click on an item in a...
  5. file explorer won't stay open at selected file

file explorer won't stay open at selected file: I would like the file tree to stay open at a selected file until I'm done working in that file! Is there a switch in settings that I can change?...
  6. Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer

Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer: I understand that older versions of windows allowed the user to move items to whatever order they wanted. I am trying to create playlists with my music and it's just impossible! I have to be satisfied with alphabetical or whatever and cannot simply move the items to the order...
  7. Problem with opening selected files/programs/folders

Problem with opening selected files/programs/folders: Heres my problem, Normally and befeore the problem starst - when I selected some files using CRTL or SHIFT button, and then double click lets say some photo, windows opens only the file i doubleclicked. Now when I select even 20 and more files and doubleclick the last...
  8. File Explorer reads the contents of the selected item - How to avoid ?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer reads the contents of the selected item - How to avoid ?: Hi, In File Explorer, when I select an item, be it a folder or a file, I see the hourglass appear twice and I think that File Explorer is reading the file or folder contents in order to determine which information it should display in the bar below the menu. I don't want...
  9. Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders: Since a couple of weeks when I open a file or folder in my Windows Explorer i see for maybe a couple of seconds a wristwatch pointer appearing and disappearing before opening that file or folder. Not a big deal but annoying. Can anyone help me please? 103092
  10. Creators Update Files in explorer no longer highlighted when selected

in Windows 10 Support
    Creators Update Files in explorer no longer highlighted when selected: After the latest Creators Update, when I open a folder and select a file (Or select few or all files) the selected files are no longer highlighted like before. You can't see what file is selected. Even in "my computer" selecting a drive C: D: etc dose not highlight the...