Windows 10: File explorer opening a very long time, because of external HDD

Discus and support File explorer opening a very long time, because of external HDD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I have external USB HDD (WD My Book 8TB) which acts as an archive of my raw footage (I'm videographer). Very often, when I open file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Cywilo, May 31, 2020.

1. /u/Cywilo Win User

File explorer opening a very long time, because of external HDD

File explorer opening a very long time, because of external HDD 9iCufPlwanM1Kf6WORds2lhnXUehZbltKieas2d1L2A.jpg

I have external USB HDD (WD My Book 8TB) which acts as an archive of my raw footage (I'm videographer). Very often, when I open file explorer, it takes like 10-15 secs to start, because this external HDD (when I don't use this drive for 10 mins, it turns off). I can hear it starting spinning, and only after that, my file explorer starts. It looks like Windows has to wait for every single drive to start every time I open explorer. It's a bit frustrating when you have this many drives plugged to your PC all the time. Is there any workaround, to force windows to "wake up" drive only when I want to access this particular drive?

https://preview.redd.it/nbb0q49fp12...bp&s=5389c062cdf51129a58cb155d3e4f1a82f8cb306

submitted by /u/Cywilo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Cywilo, May 31, 2020
  2. Zero Ice Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, May 31, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer has try to restart whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in

Windows Explorer has try to restart whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer

landaksparky, May 31, 2020
  4. D J S21 Win User

File Explorer opens to external HDD randomly

Since the latest update to Windows 10 File Explorer opens to one of my external HDD's randomly. Sometimes it opens full page and shuts 2 seconds later other times it opens as a smaller window and stays open. This happens regardless of whatever else is
    happening on the machine. I did have this occasionally with Windows 8.1 but since installing Windows 10 12 months ago I have not had the problem until installing the latest "anniversary" update. Yesterday there was a further update (Update for Windows 10 Version
    1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936)) but the problem is still there.

D J S21, May 31, 2020
Thema:

1. File explorer opening a very long time, because of external HDD - Similar Threads - File explorer opening

2. Windows boot time is very long and explorer hangs on boot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows boot time is very long and explorer hangs on boot.: I had just clean installed windows because I was having connectivity issues I had no issues with this pc for a while. They were resolved with a clean install but that’s not the issue at hand. Windows started taking about 3 minutes to boot and load the desktop screen. Not only...
  3. File Explorer will not show External HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer will not show External HDD: I have the latest updated windows 10 and I'm trying to access an External HDD that I was able to format for reuse. However, it will not show in file explorer. I've experimented and found that it does show in Disk Management and Device Manager, but I'm unable to access in...
  4. File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start.: Hello guys, Pretty simple question(i hope) whenever I open file explorer it takes ages as I have to wait for my external hard drive to start up. Rarely I ever use the external hard drive so is there a way to only make it turn on if I specifically click on it in windows...
  5. File explorer stalls when opening due to external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer stalls when opening due to external USB HDD: I have a couple of external USB HDD's connected to my PC. One in particular, a WD MyBook, seems to cause Windows File Explorer to hang temporarily when opened, even if I'm not accessing the USB drive. WIN+E opens WFE to My Computer, but it hangs until the USB drive spins up....
  6. External disk fixing takes very long time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External disk fixing takes very long time: Hi, I have Windows 10. I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though found as disk F:\. I restarted as sometimes it fixes such bugs. right at the start of booting, windows started fixing my...
  7. File explorer and WD external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...
  8. External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?): Hi all, I'm desperately trying to improve my boot times given I'm using SSD and when I used Win8.1 I used to have 8 seconds boot time. This is a clean Win10 installation and all drivers are up to date. I'm using an external eSATA HDD for backups. It seems that Windows...
  9. External HDD showing twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD showing twice in file explorer: My external drive(Samsung) connected via usb3 has started showing twice in file explorer. Opening either shows exactly the same files inside. Screen shot below, I've never tried this so I hope I've done it OK Any help with removing the "imposter" would be appreciated....
  10. Very long time to restart!

in Windows 10 Support
    Very long time to restart!: Hi all, I'm having this issue since I upgraded to Win 10: when I click restart, my laptop becomes stuck on the restart screen for ages, even the hard drive doesn't show any signs of activity. Its only after like 15 mins or so the hard drive comes into life and the computer...