Windows 10: File explorer opening in new tab middle click

Discus and support File explorer opening in new tab middle click in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have windows 11, and I used to be able to click the mouse wheel over a folder in file explorer to open that folder in a new tab. But I added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Unsuriati, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Unsuriati Win User

File explorer opening in new tab middle click

I have windows 11, and I used to be able to click the mouse wheel over a folder in file explorer to open that folder in a new tab. But I added something to a registry to get rid of the "show more" button in the context menu and go back to the windows 10 context menu. I'm assuming changing the context menu removed the ability to open in new tab, but is there any way to have both? Oh, middle click works to open in new tab from the quick access menu to the left, but I would like it to work anywhere in file explorer. Thanks in advance for any help and education!

:)

Unsuriati, Feb 23, 2024

2. How can I disable middle click to open a new tab in File Explorer?

Recently we all got tabs on File Explorer. There is no option to disable these for some reason, so I use to just ignore them the best I could.

But now when I click on a folder with the middle mouse button, it opens a new tab instead of a new window like it should.

Opening a new tab is unwanted behavior, I don't even want to see tabs in the first place let alone have my workflow changed so that I have no choice.

I see no settings anywhere in the options menu to disable this unexpected middle-clicking behavior.

I use to be able to disable the tabs with ViveTool but this is causing a crash on insider builds now.

So how can I set middle click to open a new window instead of a new tab? Is there a registry key I can change?

Blain Gunter, Feb 23, 2024
  3. When will it be possible to open Desktop folders in new File Explorer tabs?

I love the new tabs in File Explorer, but there's a key feature missing that makes it much less usable for me:

When using the tabbed Explorer, I'd expect folders on my Desktop to open in a new tab if an Explorer window is already present, or to have the choice between opening it in a new window or a new tab. It would be extremely convenient to set up "Open in new Tab" as the default behavior for such situations or to be able to use middle-click like it is already implemented when opening folders in File Explorer itself.

Is this a planned feature for the future?

Iris Wallner, Feb 23, 2024
  4. File explorer opening in new tab middle click

How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default (instead of as new file explorer windows)

TRANSLATION OF ABOVE provided by Google Translate:

Jakub Belik, Feb 23, 2024
Thema:

File explorer opening in new tab middle click

1. File explorer opening in new tab middle click - Similar Threads - File explorer opening

2. File explorer opening in new tab middle click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer opening in new tab middle click: I have windows 11, and I used to be able to click the mouse wheel over a folder in file explorer to open that folder in a new tab. But I added something to a registry to get rid of the "show more" button in the context menu and go back to the windows 10 context menu. I'm...
  3. How can I disable middle click to open a new tab in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I disable middle click to open a new tab in File Explorer?: Recently we all got tabs on File Explorer. There is no option to disable these for some reason, so I use to just ignore them the best I could.But now when I click on a folder with the middle mouse button, it opens a new tab instead of a new window like it should.Opening a new...
  4. How can I disable middle click to open a new tab in File Explorer?

How can I disable middle click to open a new tab in File Explorer?: Recently we all got tabs on File Explorer. There is no option to disable these for some reason, so I use to just ignore them the best I could.But now when I click on a folder with the middle mouse button, it opens a new tab instead of a new window like it should.Opening a new...
  5. Open explorer in currently opened explorer as new tab.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open explorer in currently opened explorer as new tab.: Say i have explorer open and i select a folder on my desktop the folder opens in a new explorer window.Is there a setting to have folders open as a new tab in currently opened explorer instead of an entirely new window by default?...
  6. Open explorer in currently opened explorer as new tab.

Open explorer in currently opened explorer as new tab.: Say i have explorer open and i select a folder on my desktop the folder opens in a new explorer window.Is there a setting to have folders open as a new tab in currently opened explorer instead of an entirely new window by default?...
  7. new file explorer tabs unable to be clicked from the top

new file explorer tabs unable to be clicked from the top: I can't just move my mouse to the top of the screen in order to click a tab, like in any browser.The hitbox starts from a pixel below the top so I have to snipe it....
  8. new file explorer tabs unable to be clicked from the top

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new file explorer tabs unable to be clicked from the top: I can't just move my mouse to the top of the screen in order to click a tab, like in any browser.The hitbox starts from a pixel below the top so I have to snipe it....
  9. Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab: I have a Steelseries Aerox 3, recently the middle click has completely stopped working and I am wondering if its Windows or the mouse, I've looked on various sites for a fix to this but none work or even apply to me. I know ctrl click and other stuff like that exist, but its...
  10. Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab

Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab: I have a Steelseries Aerox 3, recently the middle click has completely stopped working and I am wondering if its Windows or the mouse, I've looked on various sites for a fix to this but none work or even apply to me. I know ctrl click and other stuff like that exist, but its...