Windows 10: File explorer or maybe disk c?

Discus and support File explorer or maybe disk c? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This morning my computer's screen froze up, so I had to turn it off. After starting it again I found out that the file explorer wasn't showing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoseXD5, May 9, 2021.

1. JoseXD5 Win User

File explorer or maybe disk c?

This morning my computer's screen froze up, so I had to turn it off. After starting it again I found out that the file explorer wasn't showing the icons and folders on the left menu and I even checked the navigation panel to be checked, also the icons of folders appear black, and is very hard to find a folder, I have to open the file location of an app and from there start browsing. All the programs and folders still work but I don't know how to fix this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

JoseXD5, May 9, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

File Explorer

What I saw from the Disk Management, You did not do a clean install, you probably did an in place upgrade. The 100MB System Reserved is normally used in Window 7. For a fresh install the Disk partition scheme should be as follows:
    1. 500 MB System Reserved partition
    2. C- Drive.
    Since you did not have to many apps installed, I would re-install Windows 10 as suggested above. It is better to have your Windows installed on the first sata port (Disk 0) so I suggest to open the case and connect the cable from disk 0 to disk 2 where you have C: drive. Disconnect the other cables for now and do the steps below:
    1. Boot up with Windows installation media
    2. On the first screen. Press SHIFT + F10 and type
      diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
      exit
    3. Continue with Installation, select the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not create partition/format. Let Windows create the needed partitions.
    4. Once done, reconnect the other cables for drive D and E.
    5. Reboot, your Disk 0 should contain 500MB system reserved and C drive.

topgundcp, May 9, 2021
  3. Jezzer56 Win User
    File Explorer

Thanks for your input topgundcp. I don't have any installation media as such, as my upgrade was the freebie (from Win7 Ultimate).

As a thought though, if the C was sited on Disk 0 instead of Disk 2, wouldn't the issue then be that the C drive wouldn't be visible outside of 'ThisPC'?

Jezzer56, May 9, 2021
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, May 9, 2021
Thema:

1. File explorer or maybe disk c? - Similar Threads - File explorer maybe

2. C:\ is not showing on file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\ is not showing on file explorer: C:\ is not showing after last windowa update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-is-not-showing-on-file-explorer/ef310090-c41f-4093-a043-dcec4477bed6
  3. Desktop Appearing as C: in File Explorer

Desktop Appearing as C: in File Explorer: In File Explorer the desktop shortcut redirects to my C: drive, as well as the name "Desktop" being changed to "C:" Any help would be appreciated! In case it helps I'm running Windows 10 1909...
  4. Windows Explorer Slow. How to debug maybe?

Windows Explorer Slow. How to debug maybe?: Hi, somehow this thread is exactly describing my issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/windows-10-file-explorer-opens-slow/d6f773f9-3d94-496b-897d-face8ff924af?auth=1 So basically my entire explorer.exe is lagging. It feels like...
  5. File Explorer shows correctly the volume C: and F: of my 1 TB hard disk while only C...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Explorer shows correctly the volume C: and F: of my 1 TB hard disk while only C...: My 1 TB hard disk is split in two Volume C and F. After a Windows 10 update a few months ago, the volume F vanished from File Explorer and there was no restore point left to go backward. Instead I used RECOVERY to go back to the previous version of Windows 10 and stopped the...
  6. C: Disk and D: Disk

C: Disk and D: Disk: I recently got a new computer running on Windows 10 which is awesome but there is something I wanna change and I don't know how. So, my problem is the download and save paths with the quick access folders. Downloads was set on default to save to the C: Drive, so I went into...
  7. disk is not acessible not in file explorer but pops up in disk managemnt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk is not acessible not in file explorer but pops up in disk managemnt: one of my disks that I use to store all my stuff is acting up its saying its not accessible but it shows up and disk management. its either set to read only or something. it happened when I updated it idk whats going on. can somebody control my pc with a remote desktop app...
  8. Show local disk C: as "expandable and collapsible" On navigation pane in file explorer in...

Show local disk C: as "expandable and collapsible" On navigation pane in file explorer in...: Hey! I'd like to display my local disk C: as an "expandable and collapsible" drive on the navigation pane in file explorer in Windows 10. Is this possible? [ATTACH]...
  9. File Explorer Suspected Disk Corruption

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Suspected Disk Corruption: I had an unexpected and frightening error with file explorer in Windows 10 Pro. I have a Western Digital My Book Duo for saving backups and found it was formatted Raid 0 instead of mirroring. I started the process to convert it to mirroring, but first had to backup the...
  10. Expanding C: drive with File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Expanding C: drive with File Explorer: I need to replace the personal.xlsb file to my Excel XLSTART folder on my C: Drive but I do not seem to bore down to XLSTART using file explorer. If I go to this pc and choose C: then Users, then my user name I get only such things a Documents, Favorites, One Drive, etc. I...