Windows 10: File explorer problem - searching opens new window

Discus and support File explorer problem - searching opens new window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I start to type in the search field, I never get to finish typing because explorer opens a new window right away after the first character.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eliptats, Jan 13, 2016.

1. eliptats Win User

File explorer problem - searching opens new window

Whenever I start to type in the search field, I never get to finish typing because explorer opens a new window right away after the first character.

EDIT: Also, double clicking folders opens a new window as well.

:)

eliptats, Jan 13, 2016

2. File Explorer opens new window for each sub-level folder

Hi Camelia,

In File Explorer, folders either open in a new window or in the same window depending on which setting is enabled in Folder Options. To resolve your concern, follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on File, and then Change folder and search options.
    • Under Browse folders, click on Open each folder in the same window.
    • Click Apply to save changes, and then OK.

File explorer problem - searching opens new window [​IMG]

Let us how else we can help.

Patricia Yu, Jan 13, 2016
  3. File Explorer opens new window for each sub-level folder

When I open File Explorer and click on a folder to access files. Each click opens in a new window. If I have documents 2-5 levels down, each level opens a new File Explorer window. Example: click on folder icon; click on desk top folder (opens new window);
    click on sub folder church (opens new window); click on sub folder art work (opens new window); click on folder bulletins (opens new window); etc. etc etc. How do I make it stop, so that each click opens in the same window?

CameliaEaves, Jan 13, 2016
  4. KeithM Win User

What is the bolded option when you right-click?

KeithM, Jan 13, 2016
  5. KeithM Win User
    KeithM, Jan 13, 2016
  6. eliptats Win User
    Yes, double-clicking or using the Open option would open a new window. I reset the file type associations, and that seems to have stopped the searching issue. The opening folders in a new window problem seems to happen mostly to folders that are in Quick Access, but not all of them. I don't get it.

eliptats, Jan 13, 2016
  7. eliptats Win User
    I take it back, the searching problem still exists, but only if I try to search the folder that opened in a new window. *Sad

A new window is also opened for any folder under 'This PC' > 'Desktop'
    This is odd behavior to me, and didn't start until windows updated last night.

eliptats, Jan 13, 2016
  8. KeithM Win User

I forgot to ask the obvious. Have you checked Folder Options to make sure Open each folder in a new window is NOT checked???

Keith

KeithM, Jan 13, 2016
  9. eliptats Win User
    Yes, that was the first thing I looked at, and it isn't and never has been checked. Everything else behaves correctly except for folders in Quick access, and any folder under 'This PC' > 'Desktop' on the left sidebar.

File explorer problem - searching opens new window [​IMG]

eliptats, Jan 14, 2016
  10. KeithM Win User
    KeithM, Jan 14, 2016
  11. eliptats Win User
    Thanks Keith, that was the cause of the issue! Wish there was more than just a temp fix though.

eliptats, Jan 14, 2016
  12. KeithM Win User
    You're welcome. I wish there was more info about what's in that registry key....

KeithM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer problem - searching opens new window - Similar Threads - File explorer problem

2. "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems: Hello!I've recently got a new laptop, and a new install of Windows 11. I've *always* had issues with searching for files in Windows, its always been too slow or just grinds to a standstill completely and I've never *really* been sure what the problem is but anyhowIts about 70...
  3. "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems: Hello!I've recently got a new laptop, and a new install of Windows 11. I've *always* had issues with searching for files in Windows, its always been too slow or just grinds to a standstill completely and I've never *really* been sure what the problem is but anyhowIts about 70...
  4. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer: In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf, .ttf, .png, but since beginning to use Windows 11, that doesn't always work, and I am at a loss as to why it only works...
  5. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer: In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf, .ttf, .png, but since beginning to use Windows 11, that doesn't always work, and I am at a loss as to why it only works...
  6. Trying to open a pdf file opens new File Explorer Search instance?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to open a pdf file opens new File Explorer Search instance?: I'm using: Edition: Windows 10 ProVersion: 20H2Installed: 10/‎6/‎2020OS build: 19042.1083Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0Each time I try opening a document/file, a new instance of File Explorer opens to the Search feature with a message telling me...
  7. File Explorer Search Problem

in Cortana
    File Explorer Search Problem: I have a Windows 10 user losing her ability to enter search criteria in a Windows 10 Search box. If logged in as her, and I click in the Search box from any number of places, no typing appears in the box. Also, If I open the Windows Start menu and attempt to type in a...
  8. Problem with my new install of Windows 10 File Explorer window search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with my new install of Windows 10 File Explorer window search: I reinstalled windows after problems with the latest updates, and am struggling to restore my computer to former usability! The file explorer search seems to be broken: it seems to lack most previous features date modified, file type, etc. and sometimes when I type into...
  9. Windows File Explorer search problems

in Cortana
    Windows File Explorer search problems: Since the November update (1909) there are several problems with searching in the Windows File Explorer (I don't mean the taskbar search). First, I can't see what I'm typing in the tiny search bar. And not because my eyesight is bad, but because the text I'm typing isn't...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...