Windows 10: File Explorer: Problem with New Folder

Discus and support File Explorer: Problem with New Folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Often when I select New | Folder in File Explorer, as I'm typing in the name for the new folder, the text entry boxes closes too soon, leaving either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MesPia, Jun 25, 2019.

1. MesPia Win User

File Explorer: Problem with New Folder

Often when I select New | Folder in File Explorer, as I'm typing in the name for the new folder, the text entry boxes closes too soon, leaving either "New Folder" or a partial entry as the name for the new folder, requiring me to explicitly rename the folder. Why is the text entry box closing too soon? Is there something I can do to fix that?

:)

MesPia, Jun 25, 2019

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 25, 2019
  3. Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer: Problem with New Folder - Similar Threads - File Explorer Problem

2. How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...: Hello,I am loving the tabs functionality of the new file explorer, but I am constantly annoying with the fact that opening any folder results in a new file explorer windows being spawned. What I would instead like to happen is that my current file explorer windows is made...
  3. How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...: Hello,I am loving the tabs functionality of the new file explorer, but I am constantly annoying with the fact that opening any folder results in a new file explorer windows being spawned. What I would instead like to happen is that my current file explorer windows is made...
  4. File explorer opens folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...
  5. File explorer opens folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...
  6. File Explorer can't create new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer can't create new folder: I have a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home 2004, during my install/update/clean process it got updated to 20H2. I partitoned the disk and created a Users folder on drive D. At some point since File Explorer stopped creating new folders, right clicking doesn't show...
  7. New folders in File Explorer automatically close

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New folders in File Explorer automatically close: When I create a new folder in Window10 File Explorer, the folder automatically closes before I can type it in. It's a real hassle. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-folders-in-file-explorer-automatically-close/534c264b-012a-4d7d-96d7-af60d8fdf64b
  8. Problems with "This PC" folder in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with "This PC" folder in File Explorer.: Problems with "This PC" folder in File Explorer. I would like to get rid of one of the 2 "Documents" folders in "Quick Access" In "This PC" folder I would like to get the correct "Documents" folder and avoid errors. In "This PC" folder I would like to get DeskTop to work...
  9. File Explorer - Creating new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Creating new folders: Windows 1909 and before. Issue: When I try to create a new folder in File Explorer I can only type one letter then File Explorer acts like I pressed enter. For example if I Create a try to creater called " File Explorer will only let me create a folder called "j" The work...
  10. Cannot create New Folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create New Folder in File Explorer: It works fine, but suddenly today the New menu disappeared from my click menu when I click on any blank place in a folder. What's worse, if I click the New Folder button under the File Explorer top menu, there is no response. In the end, I can only create new folders using...