Windows 10: File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10)

Discus and support File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I just copied my personal files to an external hard drive, and wanted to confirm file count and size were the same. In doing so, I discovered that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephCandelora, Jan 2, 2019.

1. File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10)

Hi,

I just copied my personal files to an external hard drive, and wanted to confirm file count and size were the same. In doing so, I discovered that Windows Explorer is returning an incorrect (too low) file count on my current machine.

For example, right-clicking on the folder "02 94 Drew B" gives a file count of 247 files. But when I left-click into that folder and select its entire contents and then right-click, I get a total of 249 files. The 249 file count is the correct count. Also, as I mentioned above I had copied all of this to an external hard drive; when I right-click "02 94 Drew B" on the external hard drive, I get the correct count (249, not 247).

I made sure all hidden items are showing in my view properties. I tried rebuilding the Windows search index. I found old questions referencing somewhat similar issues, but no resolution.

INCORRECT FILE COUNT:

File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10) 474e700d-ab7f-4d8b-a6f5-5c0f43312d7c?upload=true.png

CORRECT FILE COUNT:

File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10) 7d33b08d-7e07-418e-b1fb-59e4282bdf1a?upload=true.png

:)

JosephCandelora, Jan 2, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 2, 2019
  3. I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Chris_496 Win User

File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10)

File Count column in Windows 10 File Explorer

What does the File Count column in Windows 10 File Explorer do? When I add it as a column it is blank, I need to be able to determine how many files are in a folder without opening the properties window.

Chris_496, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10)

1. File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10) - Similar Threads - File Explorer Properties

2. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  3. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  4. File Count does not appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Count does not appear in File Explorer: In every version of Windows I have had including most recently Windows 10 there has been a file count in the lower left corner of Explorer. It shows the total number of files in the folder. If I highlight some files, it shows both the total number of files and the number I...
  5. File Count does not appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Count does not appear in File Explorer: In every version of Windows I have had including most recently Windows 10 there has been a file count in the lower left corner of Explorer. It shows the total number of files in the folder. If I highlight some files, it shows both the total number of files and the number I...
  6. File explorer file count and size missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer file count and size missing: I just noticed this and I don't know if it's a new "feature" or bug; the File Explorer when I would select a group of files, at the very bottom of the File Explorer the is would list out how many files I selected. Or if I select a file, it would read out the size of such...
  7. File and folder count are incorrect after copy

in Windows 10 Support
    File and folder count are incorrect after copy: Did a win10 copy of files and folders as a manual backup to an external disk. Source 2k8 server (via unc path) and destination win10 laptop with external usb drive. Did properties on the main destination folder and the source afterwards and could see that there was a...
  8. File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.: Hello, I found several cases reporting the same bug on the Internet but did not find a solution so far. I have Windows 10 home edition on my PC and File Explorer > Properties reports wrong file count and folder volume if the folders that have subfolders. Does anybody know...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage

Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage: I'm attempting to determine how much space a folder is using in Windows 10 File Explorer. I right-click the Properties and see that it says on 20Gb when I know it's much more. I then use an alternative app (TreeSize) and it calculates the storage used on the same folder as a...
  10. Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately

Windows Explorer Properties File Size and Folder / File Count not working accurately: When you try to establish file sizes (right click-properties), e.g. for fitting on a backup flash drive / or copying, the file sizes in folders, and the files and sub-folders count is not complete / accurate, and represents a fraction of the total. This makes administration...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer incorrect file size

2. Count Files and Directories in Windows

3. windows explorer wrong file count

4. windows file count wrong,
  5. windows explorer word count is wrong,
  6. Windows reports wrong file count,
  7. windows 10 file count on properties is different,
  8. foundfile.count incorrect,
  9. file explorer file count ,
  10. windows 10 explorer file count is wrong,
  11. add file count to explorer properties,