Windows 10: File explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives

Discus and support File explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have a laptop that runs on win 10 x64 ver 1809 build 17763 I have some problems that I think are file explorer-related. 1) The file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cilcer, Feb 3, 2019.

1. cilcer Win User

File explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives

Hello everyone.
    I have a laptop that runs on win 10 x64 ver 1809 build 17763

I have some problems that I think are file explorer-related.
    1) The file explorer often randomly closes without any crash. I can still use my laptop afterwards. I have to restart the file explorer each time it happens.
    It can happen during file copying or when I just explore files. But in one or two occasions, it indeed froze, and I needed to hard reset.

2) When I connect an external drive, as long as I just browse for files, a few hours later, when I click the "safely remove" icon, it disconnects properly.
    However, after playing some movies or songs for a few hours, it can't disconnect. The message "Windows can't stop your device because a program... etc" appears. Even after I close all open file explorer windows.
    I tried using offline disk feature from diskpart. Then, even after it is offlined, the option to safely remove is still there, but when I click it, the same message appears. I tried offlining and onlining back (do those words exist?) the drive to no avail. Even if diskpart says the drive is 'offline' the fact that the safely remove icon still has the option to remove the drive makes me think that I may damage the hard drive if I pull it out. So far, my solution was to sign out and back in, then, I can safely remove it properly.
    It seems like something is latching onto the ext drive. This never happens with flash drives.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

:)

cilcer, Feb 3, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

System connects and disconnects USB drives...

That too is normal. File Explorer will close if a usb is disconnected while File Explorer was showing its contents, with nothing left to show there's no point in having File Explorer open. The same thing happens if you eject the usb on purpose.

Try opening Device Manager. Look under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' at the properties each device listed there. If there is a Power Management tab, try turning off 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

Bree, Feb 3, 2019
  3. File Explorer- no drive letters are listed.

The File Explorer in Windows 10, shows the Frequent folders list and Recent files list by default. You can view the drives by clicking on This PC tab on the left site of the File Explorer. But if you wish the File Explorer
    to open This PC showing drives list by default, then follow these steps:

1. In Windows 10, open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.

2. In the View tab, find and click on Options, listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.

3. In the Folder Options window, make sure you’re on the General tab and then find the drop-down box labeled Open File Explorer To. Click the drop-down menu and select This PC. Click OK to
    save your changes and close the window. Now your File Explorer opens to Drives list by default.

Hope this helps!

JohnCalton, Feb 3, 2019
  4. File explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives

Disconnected network drive showing in File Explorer

Recently a strange drive appeared in File Explorer. It is labeled (AFile explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives :) Disconnected Network Drive.

I have NEVER mapped a network drive on this computer. When I attempt to right click and disconnect I get a box saying "This network connection does not exist." If I just click on it I get a box saying it is not accessible. Access is denied. Properties
    simply says it is empty.

I cannot get rid of it. Trying to delete it under Drive Mapping in Explorer yields an error message saying it does not exist.

I went to safe mode with networking. It does NOT appear in File Explorer in Safe Mode. However it continues to appear in normal mode.

It is as if Windows just made something up to clutter my File Explorer.

BTW I already tried using admin command prompt to delete it. I get an error message saying that the drive does not exist.

Someone on a forum suggested trying to map a new drive on the same drive letter. Win 10 will not even display drive A as a choice in the dropdown.

How do I get rid of this?

DouglasLathrop, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

File explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives

1. File explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives - Similar Threads - File explorer random

2. File Explorer closing randomly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer closing randomly: Hi,Recently a lot of our users at work has started to experience several folders closing while either working in them or having them minimized in the background. This is regarding a specific Network Drive as far as i am aware of which is a shared drive where multiple users...
  3. File Explorer closing randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer closing randomly: Hi,Recently a lot of our users at work has started to experience several folders closing while either working in them or having them minimized in the background. This is regarding a specific Network Drive as far as i am aware of which is a shared drive where multiple users...
  4. File Explorer closing randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer Randomly Closes

File Explorer Randomly Closes: I have users who are using the latest Windows 10 and 11 versions. They would have file explorer open then all of sudden it will randomly close on them. Their computer is update with all of the latest drivers.Troubleshooting I have done-I ran sfc /scannow and dism...
  6. File Explorer Randomly Closes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Randomly Closes: I have users who are using the latest Windows 10 and 11 versions. They would have file explorer open then all of sudden it will randomly close on them. Their computer is update with all of the latest drivers.Troubleshooting I have done-I ran sfc /scannow and dism...
  7. File Explorer Randomly Closes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer close/crash randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer close/crash randomly: Greetings, I'd rather not to call this "crash" because windows didn't even tell me there is a "crash". The file explorer just randomly close. No crash, no lags. And no, I'm not on Network sharing or something like that. This a personal PC. I've been experiencing this...
  9. File Explorer closes (not crashes) randomly

File Explorer closes (not crashes) randomly: I have a few users on 1809 that when accessing files, file explorer will close and leave the file open at unpredictable intervals. I've tried running sfc/ scannow, I checked GPO drive mapping is set to update, the disconnect time for mapped drives is much longer than a lot of...
  10. File explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer random close and can't disconnect ext drives: Hello everyone. I have a laptop that runs on win 10 x64 ver 1809 build 17763 I have some problems that I think are file explorer-related. 1) The file explorer often randomly closes without any crash. I can still use my laptop afterwards. I have to restart the file explorer...