Windows 10: File Explorer randomly crashes

Discus and support File Explorer randomly crashes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For some time now, couple of months my File Explorer crashes at random times, usually every 2-3 hours. I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, Version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Leandros Kalogerakos, Feb 1, 2021.

1. File Explorer randomly crashes

For some time now, couple of months my File Explorer crashes at random times, usually every 2-3 hours.

I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, Version 20H2.

I am pasting a recent error report from "Reliability History"

Προέλευση source

Windows Explorer

Σύνοψη Synopsis

Σταμάτησε να λειτουργεί Stopped Working

Ημερομηνία Date

‎1/‎2/‎2021 2:27 μμ

Κατάσταση State

Αποστολή αναφοράς Sent Report

Περιγραφή Description

Διαδρομή ελαττωματικής εφαρμογής: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Υπογραφή προβλήματος Error Signature

Όνομα συμβάντος προβλήματος: APPCRASH

Όνομα εφαρμογής: explorer.exe

Έκδοση εφαρμογής: 10.0.19041.746

Χρονική σήμανση εφαρμογής: ca234864

Όνομα ελαττωματικής λειτουργικής μονάδας: ntdll.dll

Έκδοση ελαττωματικής λειτουργικής μονάδας: 10.0.19041.662

Χρονική σήμανση ελαττωματικής λειτουργικής μονάδας: 27bfa5f0

Κωδικός εξαίρεσης: c000071f

Μετατόπιση εξαίρεσης: 00000000000accb7

Έκδοση λειτουργικού συστήματος: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48

Αναγνωριστικό τοπικών ρυθμίσεων: 1032

Πρόσθετες πληροφορίες 1: 036d

Πρόσθετες πληροφορίες 2: 036d25959e361ad38b77dfb223a7efe8

Πρόσθετες πληροφορίες 3: 0fa2

Πρόσθετες πληροφορίες 4: 0fa2d3da27def2f1e564c45ff6d9bb3a

Περισσότερες πληροφορίες σχετικά με το πρόβλημα

Αναγνωριστικό κάδου: b562e309fe82363ff40f36760c3da66b 1445433886048626283

I will be happy to send you any additional info required to solve the problem.

:)

Leandros Kalogerakos, Feb 1, 2021

2. file explorer crashes

Effective Way to Solve the File Explorer Crashes Issue

You can try the following steps:

1. Tap down the Windows button first to activate the search bar.
    2. After that, in the search bar type control, and then click on the top-most search result, that is on Control Panel.
    3. Next, in the search bar type file.
    4. Now, from the search results click on File Explorer Options.
    5. Then, click on the Clean button.
    6. Lastly, click on Apply and then on OK.

References: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-windows-10-file-explorer-crash-easy-way/

JuanSmith2, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Gencijs Win User
    File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10

Hello,

I did the steps you wrote. All the settings were as you suggested. The File Explorer keeps crashing.

Gencijs, Feb 1, 2021
  4. File Explorer randomly crashes

File Explorer close/crash randomly

Hi Syr

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

No real help in the module so our next step is to generate a crash dump and find information regarding this.

I am copying auggy steps here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

I might suggest trying to obtain a user mode dump which will give more information on the crash.

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file (save with the .reg extension and give it any name such as dump.reg), then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes
    should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\

00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site?

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer randomly crashes

1. File Explorer randomly crashes - Similar Threads - File Explorer randomly

2. random explorer crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random explorer crash: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 22H2 build 22623.1095 insider canal beta on a LAPTOP with an ASUS X570-P Mother board, a Ryzen 3900 processor and a RTX 2070 GPU. My explorer often crashes no error msg, I only see the restart of task bar and brief screen flickering.It happens...
  3. random explorer crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    random explorer crash: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 22H2 build 22623.1095 insider canal beta on a LAPTOP with an ASUS X570-P Mother board, a Ryzen 3900 processor and a RTX 2070 GPU. My explorer often crashes no error msg, I only see the restart of task bar and brief screen flickering.It happens...
  4. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  5. Windows explorer crashing randomly

Windows explorer crashing randomly: So when I'm playing games or just browsing the web, sometimes everything just suddenly freezes. This issue is especially noticeable when playing games like Valorant, the game might just randomly freeze and when I tab out I notice that the taskbar is frozen as well and after a...
  6. File Explorer will just closer or crash randomly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer will just closer or crash randomly.: Company wide we have and issue with File Explorer closing down. I haven't been able to find what the cause is. There is nothing in the problems report. It may be a network problem as many reports it is in our network drives. Although I believe it could be upstream...
  7. Explorer crashing randomly

Explorer crashing randomly: Hello,explorer crashes when i try to open explorer or when i right click a file.Its been crashing since i got the computer. i tried some of the solutions i found but couldnt fix it -i used sfc/scannow,it says there are no corrupted files -i looked at event manager and...
  8. File Explorer close/crash randomly

File Explorer close/crash randomly: Greetings, I'd rather not to call this "crash" because windows didn't even tell me there is a "crash". The file explorer just randomly close. No crash, no lags. And no, I'm not on Network sharing or something like that. This a personal PC. I've been experiencing this...
  9. File Explorer closes (not crashes) randomly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer closes (not crashes) randomly: I have a few users on 1809 that when accessing files, file explorer will close and leave the file open at unpredictable intervals. I've tried running sfc/ scannow, I checked GPO drive mapping is set to update, the disconnect time for mapped drives is much longer than a lot of...
  10. Random Explorer Crash

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Explorer Crash: Curious to know if someone can point me in the right direction of figuring out a random Explorer.exe crash. I've checked in event viewer and can't seem to pin point it. Looking for suggestions. Pasted below is the error and information levels found withing Event Viewer under...