Windows 10: File Explorer reads the contents of the selected item - How to avoid ?

Discus and support File Explorer reads the contents of the selected item - How to avoid ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, In File Explorer, when I select an item, be it a folder or a file, I see the hourglass appear twice and I think that File Explorer is reading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Samoreen, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Samoreen Win User

File Explorer reads the contents of the selected item - How to avoid ?

Hi,

In File Explorer, when I select an item, be it a folder or a file, I see the hourglass appear twice and I think that File Explorer is reading the file or folder contents in order to determine which information it should display in the bar below the menu. I don't want this.

When I open a folder, select a file and then select another item by using the down arrow, the same process occurs for each new selected item. This makes traversing the list with the down arrow very, very slow.

How can I disable this annoying behavior ?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Samoreen, Mar 19, 2018
  2. MainSoft Win User

Windows 10 1709 - File Explorer reads the contents of the selected item - How to avoid ?

Hi,

It seems I have found a fix. I ran Ribbon Disabler from Winaero, disabled the ribbon and then re-enabled it after a logoff/logon. And things appear to be back to normal. Don't ask me why.

MainSoft, Mar 19, 2018
  3. MainSoft Win User
    Windows 10 1709 - File Explorer reads the contents of the selected item - How to avoid ?

Hi,

In File Explorer, when I select an item, be it a folder or a file, I see the hourglass appear twice and I think that File Explorer is reading the file or folder contents in order to determine which information it should display in the bar below the menu. I
    don't want this.

When I open a folder, select a file and then select another item by using the down arrow, the same process occurs for each new selected item. This makes traversing the list with the down arrow very, very slow.

How can I disable this annoying behavior ?

Thanks in advance.

MainSoft, Mar 19, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, that's not normal behaviour.

Try monitoring your task manager when this is happening. Do you see any particular activity? Is some process active? Does your CPU use increase?

Suggest you try a clean boot, then compare; SAFE MODE and compare.

dalchina, Mar 19, 2018
  5. Samoreen Win User
    Thanks for the quick answer, Dalchina.

It seems I have found a fix. I ran Ribbon Disabler from Winaero, disabled the ribbon and then re-enabled it after a logoff/logon. And things appear to be back to normal. Don't ask me why.

Samoreen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer reads the contents of the selected item - How to avoid ? - Similar Threads - File Explorer reads

2. File explorer option 'Select the typed item in the view tab' too fast

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer option 'Select the typed item in the view tab' too fast: In File explorer option 'Select the typed item in the view tab': When typing more than one letter I find that unless typing extremely fast Windows jumps to a file before I have typed in all the letters I want. Ususally I can only get 3 or 4 letters in maximum.Is there a way...
  3. File explorer option 'Select the typed item in the view tab' too fast

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer option 'Select the typed item in the view tab' too fast: In File explorer option 'Select the typed item in the view tab': When typing more than one letter I find that unless typing extremely fast Windows jumps to a file before I have typed in all the letters I want. Ususally I can only get 3 or 4 letters in maximum.Is there a way...
  4. File explorer option 'Select the typed item in the view tab' too fast

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files?: I am planning to use the duplicate file finder feature of ccleaner to remove duplicate files form my multiple backup HDD. I was thinking of making the primary data folder on my Main HDD as Read only (suign the read only feature of Win10) and then find duplicate files and...
  6. File Explorer is not reading CD/DVD: files/content invisible UDF file system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer is not reading CD/DVD: files/content invisible UDF file system: The File Explorer on my computer is not reading the files on my DVD/CD-ROM. The DVD/CD-ROM drive is working fine. Other CDs work ok. This CD, there are no files listed, shows "0 items". Right click on properties show file system is UDF and about 28MB used space. Right...
  7. Windows 10: Explorer selects items on mouseover

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: Explorer selects items on mouseover: Hi! Recently I've encountered either a bug or a feature that maybe I accidentally activated. Basically, only on Explorer, when I put the mouse hovering an item, without clicking it selects the item. This has made me encounter many problems when I accidentally "double click"...
  8. File Explorer Search for File Content

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search for File Content: I wanted to share this information with others because I have not seen it provided. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and I found that when I did a file search in file explorer, I could not find files based on a search of a word in the text of the file's content. I...
  9. Files in File Explorer are not selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files in File Explorer are not selected: Prior the issue File Explorer kept a selected file selected. I could select a file, then open it, save etc. without having to click on the mouse. Currently folder settings in File Explorer have changed because the file I have opened is not stayed selected anymore. I have to...
  10. File Explorer open containing folder not highlighting selected item

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer open containing folder not highlighting selected item: In older versions of windows When i did a search and right click on a item and select open containing folder it used go straight to that item. But with windows it justs open the folder then you have to again for the same file. Is there any way to get the old search...