Windows 10: File Explorer really sluggish and weird

Discus and support File Explorer really sluggish and weird in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About 4-5 months ago I started to notice after an update that file explorer started to act really weird it got sluggish and folders would not show the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scottish2, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Scottish2 Win User

File Explorer really sluggish and weird

About 4-5 months ago I started to notice after an update that file explorer started to act really weird it got sluggish and folders would not show the little preview thumbnails and file would just come up as white squares with no thumbnail or associated programs icon and the whole file explorer was just acting weird. It got to a point I just broke down and redid my computer back to the restart by restoring the whole system.

Then things were back to normal for awhile. File explorer was working great again no issues and then about 2 weeks ago I noticed I again started to get the same thing had an update and then slowly the sluggishness has again returned and folders and files are not showing up as they should be with thumbnails and such.

Problem I have is I am not sure what update it was exactly that started to cause these issues so have no idea what update to roll back and it's getting bad again. I hate to have to go back and redo my computer all over again is such a hassle reinstalling all my games and programs and such.

Is there any way to reset file explorer to factory without having to redo my whole computer again?

Thanks

:)

Scottish2, Dec 1, 2020
  2. rivre Win User

Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

Yes, all copying completes and verifies using fastcopy, and even after I notice the sluggishness at some point after I've finished a copying operation, additional copying is still fine. Just interacting with files, like right-clicking, is slow.

I'll have to try copying with just Windows file explorer later this afternoon. I'll report back.

For an example, I rebooted my PC a while ago, and just finished copying 44GB of files (a folder with 25 2GB rar files inside). It finished, and so far my PC is normal - no sluggishness. But at some point if I keep copying more large folders, it will start acting up. It's really weird.

rivre, Dec 1, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

@rivre

What you're describing sounds symptomatic of the Explorer Working Set memory size growing and growing. You have 16GB of memory, so that shouldn't be an issue. But if the Paging File is too small, or for some strange reason missing (a no-no), or configured incorrectly, Explorer and Windows will have no way of managing that working set size. That could explain why a re-boot takes away the sluggishness, and it slowly creeps back when feeding Explorer large chunks of data.

Possibly restarting Explorer alone may produce the same temp cure. Try that to see.

Check your settings for Paging to see if something doesn't look right. These are shots from mine. I let the system manage the Pagfile.sys size.

File Explorer really sluggish and weird [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

1. File Explorer really sluggish and weird - Similar Threads - File Explorer really

2. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue: Since today i have an issue with the file explorer.Whenever i click something be it folder or any files its even worse with folder and even happens on empty folders for 2-3 seconds theres a constant swapping of loading circle to my mouse cursor until the file is officially...
  3. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue: Since today i have an issue with the file explorer.Whenever i click something be it folder or any files its even worse with folder and even happens on empty folders for 2-3 seconds theres a constant swapping of loading circle to my mouse cursor until the file is officially...
  4. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer sluggish opening from apps

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sluggish opening from apps: Win10 v21H1 build 19043.1165. File Explorer works fine in all situations except when opened from an app to select a file or files, or a location and name to save. 15-20 seconds for it to start up. Drives me crazy. The smaller window for selecting a directory works fine...
  6. This is really weird if true

in Windows 10 Support
    This is really weird if true: Came across this in my emails today and am wondering if it a genuine thing or not? Microsofts New Linux Distro Is a Warning Shot at Red Hat Review Geek 182872
  7. Windows Explorer Sluggish?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Sluggish?: I have this issue that's an everyday thing where sometimes when I right click my taskbar icons and no options except "file explorer" and "unpin from taskbar" pop up even though I have history and quick access pins I use daily. Sometimes it's just missing the menu extra...
  8. Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files: I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts. When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't handle any large files (like tens of gigabytes or larger), it's fine for days. But if I start copying large files from drive to...
  9. Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird behavior/ sluggish after handling large files: I've been experiencing a weird problem on my PC for a long time and it's driving me nuts. When I first boot it up it's fine, and as long as I don't handle any large files (like tens of gigabytes or larger), it's fine for days. But if I start copying large files from drive to...
  10. W10 really sluggish

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 really sluggish: I don't know what is left to try. - raised pagefile to recommended values - scanned for malware/viruses - cpu/gpu usage normal - did windows built-in performance and memory diagnostics - no problems - did CCleanup - Made sure startup doesn't run anything out of the...