Windows 10: File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10

Discus and support File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since a recent update use of File Explorer has become almost impossible - this is normally met with the words 'File Explorer is not responding'. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GrahamHarveyUK, Oct 3, 2019.

1. File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10

Since a recent update use of File Explorer has become almost impossible - this is normally met with the words 'File Explorer is not responding'.

This can occur when taking almost any action e.g.

When highlighting even two files to copy them to USB.

When trying to launch an application by double clicking a file.

It has just failed again when I wanted to find and post the build number. It had closed and now I cannot go anywhere via the Windows key or the Search box.

I have spent hours trying to find a solution through this forum and others to no avail.

HELP please as this is making my PC unusable.

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series

Intel drivers recently updated after these problems.

:)

GrahamHarveyUK, Oct 3, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 3, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Oct 3, 2019
  4. File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10

eidairaman1, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10

1. File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File Explorer recent

2. Windows 11, file explorer crashing after the recent update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, file explorer crashing after the recent update: I have updated my windows yesterday. Now I am unable to open the File Explorer. It instantly crashes whenever I try to open any folder.Steps I tried with no avail: - check disk- starting in a Safe Mode- removing Bad and BagMRU in registry...
  3. Windows 11, file explorer crashing after the recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11, file explorer crashing after the recent update: I have updated my windows yesterday. Now I am unable to open the File Explorer. It instantly crashes whenever I try to open any folder.Steps I tried with no avail: - check disk- starting in a Safe Mode- removing Bad and BagMRU in registry...
  4. I recently updated windows and these files appeared in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I recently updated windows and these files appeared in file explorer.: I'm not sure if these files appeared because of the Cumulative update preview for windows 10 21h2 for x64-based systems KB5016688 or if they are from something else but they appeared around the time I started updating. Here is a screen shot of the files I'm talking about....
  5. File explorer is not working after recent update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer is not working after recent update: Dear Sir/ Madam Since last week, file explorer is not working on the computer. It shows the list of files in a folder. When I click on one file to open, the system hangs and file explorer closes abruptly. Looking forward to your help to resolve. thanking in advance....
  6. files vanished after recent windows 10 update

files vanished after recent windows 10 update: hello to all! I was recently prompted by windows to proceed an update to windows 10. after I did that, all my files and some apps disappeared. I noticed that I have several "desktops" when I had to restart entirely chrome. what should I do to get back to a normal use of my...
  7. File explorer freezes after recent update

File explorer freezes after recent update: File Explorer in Windows 10 is opening so slowly that it could be called a freeze. The folder opens fairly normally the first time, but when I try to open a subfolder it hangs. The progress bar at the top of the page may eventually reach the end and still not show the folder...
  8. Computer failure after recent updates installed

Computer failure after recent updates installed: Have 2 acer laptops that crashed after the latest updates were installed. Did I read right that any older computer or computers that are not on a specific last will not function properly? One of the fixes is to revert to a previous version of windows., Doesn't make sense...
  9. Recent update failure

Recent update failure: Ever since July 10, 2018—KB4338819 (OS Build 17134.165) was installed the computer has been very slow to respond EVERYTHING is slower Programs fail to respond videos quit loading mid way thru VERY FRUSTRATING...
  10. File Explorer and Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and Recent Files: At work, I'll open files on a network path that is only accessible at work, e.g. \\mywork.org\shares\file.xyz These files will appear in my recent list when opening File Explorer (Win+E). The problem I have is at home where that network path is not accessible, and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer failure