Windows 10: File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit

Discus and support File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, When renaming a file in File Explorer I am frequently, but not always, stymied by the system re-selecting the entire filename whilst I am in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jamjar23, Sep 4, 2015.

1. jamjar23 Win User

File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit

Hi,
    When renaming a file in File Explorer I am frequently, but not always, stymied by the system re-selecting the entire filename whilst I am in the midst of editing it. It occurs anytime from 1-2s after I start editing up to 10s or more. I typically am using the back arrow to move to the point I am editing, and Shift+arrow to select text. It may happen before or after I have used Shift+arrow to select text.
    It's frustrating because I have to essentially anticipate the system possibly reselecting the whole filename, and if it does, restart my edit again.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, is there a fix?

James R.

:)

jamjar23, Sep 4, 2015

2. Renaming photos

It isn't possible for multiple files in the same folder to have the same name. If all the files you want to rename are in the same folder, just select them all (press Ctrl+A if you find it difficult to do so with the mouse), then press F2 to rename, type
    a name and press Enter.

Edit: Just saw you want them in chronological order. From File Explorer's View tab click on
    Sort by, then from the menu that appears select to sort by Date taken or Date modified or Date created (whatever you prefer). Next select all and rename as mentioned above.

RobertJWin, Sep 4, 2015
  3. CAN'T RENAME PICTURE IN N97

Hi friends,

CAN'T RENAME PICTURE IN N97.

I have recently bought a N97 (I have been using a N73 Music) and

need help for this problem -

After taking a still image / video (& before closing the camera

cover - there is a option to rename it - max 31 to 32 characters).

If I rename the photo / video there, then the name is changed (as it

should) - no problem.

- but if I close the cover or exit the camera mode - and then later

try to rename any picture from photo gallery it cannot be done -

--------------------------------

as suggested in manual-

"Select Menu > Photos.

To view and edit the properties of an image or a video

clip, select the file, Options > Details, and from the

following:

Title — View the thumbnail image of the file and

the current file name. To edit the file name, select

the file name field"

-----------------------------------

After editing - the title field shows the edited name - but when the

file is sent to PC or other phone - it is seen that the default name

is persisting (the name in fact has not changed).

Any solution / advise - anyone ? Nokia people - are you listening?

naturalist---01, Sep 4, 2015
  4. flapflap Win User

Hi James,
    I have the same issue and solved it by deacivating Windows media features inclusive media player. I use vlc anyway, so this had no negative impact for me.
    Cheers,

flapflap, Nov 21, 2015
Thema:

1. File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit - Similar Threads - File Explorer Rename

2. Files in File Explorer are not selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files in File Explorer are not selected: Prior the issue File Explorer kept a selected file selected. I could select a file, then open it, save etc. without having to click on the mouse. Currently folder settings in File Explorer have changed because the file I have opened is not stayed selected anymore. I have to...
  3. Selecting a file crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Selecting a file crashes File Explorer: I have a presentation to do tomorrow. Because I haven't paid for any Microsoft subscriptions, I've made my presentation using Google Slides. However, as a backup, I'm trying to save the file as a .pptx to have on a flashdrive should I not have access to the internet. Thing...
  4. Explorer delay while typing for folder name

Explorer delay while typing for folder name: When you are in explorer, you can type the letters and numbers of the folder you are looking for. If you pause it will forget what you typed and start over. I want to increase this pause delay(so I can look at the paper that has the information on it). I have looked all...
  5. File explorer renamed to file explorer (1)

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer renamed to file explorer (1): File explorer renamed to file explorer (1) After the update it renamed to (1) I forgot the folder where it’s stored to erase the duplicate. 122564
  6. OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it: I'm using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates, also I'm maintaining a OneDrive domain in the same PC. In OneDrive domain if I attempt to rename a file partly for ex: [this file rev1.*] to [this file rev2.*] it doesn't allow me to put courser right after the part i want to...
  7. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628
  8. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  9. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

in Windows 10 Support
    Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names: I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've never encountered anything like this before. I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change the...
  10. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name: Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time? Thank...