Windows 10: File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit

Discus and support File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, When renaming a file in File Explorer I am frequently, but not always, stymied by the system re-selecting the entire filename whilst I am in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jamjar23, Sep 4, 2015.

1. jamjar23 Win User

File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit

Hi,
    When renaming a file in File Explorer I am frequently, but not always, stymied by the system re-selecting the entire filename whilst I am in the midst of editing it. It occurs anytime from 1-2s after I start editing up to 10s or more. I typically am using the back arrow to move to the point I am editing, and Shift+arrow to select text. It may happen before or after I have used Shift+arrow to select text.
    It's frustrating because I have to essentially anticipate the system possibly reselecting the whole filename, and if it does, restart my edit again.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, is there a fix?

James R.

:)

jamjar23, Sep 4, 2015

2. Renaming photos

It isn't possible for multiple files in the same folder to have the same name. If all the files you want to rename are in the same folder, just select them all (press Ctrl+A if you find it difficult to do so with the mouse), then press F2 to rename, type
    a name and press Enter.

Edit: Just saw you want them in chronological order. From File Explorer's View tab click on
    Sort by, then from the menu that appears select to sort by Date taken or Date modified or Date created (whatever you prefer). Next select all and rename as mentioned above.

RobertJWin, Sep 4, 2015
  3. CAN'T RENAME PICTURE IN N97

Hi friends,

CAN'T RENAME PICTURE IN N97.

I have recently bought a N97 (I have been using a N73 Music) and

need help for this problem -

After taking a still image / video (& before closing the camera

cover - there is a option to rename it - max 31 to 32 characters).

If I rename the photo / video there, then the name is changed (as it

should) - no problem.

- but if I close the cover or exit the camera mode - and then later

try to rename any picture from photo gallery it cannot be done -

--------------------------------

as suggested in manual-

"Select Menu > Photos.

To view and edit the properties of an image or a video

clip, select the file, Options > Details, and from the

following:

Title — View the thumbnail image of the file and

the current file name. To edit the file name, select

the file name field"

-----------------------------------

After editing - the title field shows the edited name - but when the

file is sent to PC or other phone - it is seen that the default name

is persisting (the name in fact has not changed).

Any solution / advise - anyone ? Nokia people - are you listening?

naturalist---01, Sep 4, 2015
  4. flapflap Win User

Hi James,
    I have the same issue and solved it by deacivating Windows media features inclusive media player. I use vlc anyway, so this had no negative impact for me.
    Cheers,

flapflap, Nov 21, 2015
Thema:

1. File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit - Similar Threads - File Explorer Rename

2. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-rename-bug/3ae7aa45-f157-4d67-a6ad-6ec940e7b92bI'm having this exact same problem.The answer there didn't address the error.That post was locked.The problems not fixed....
  3. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-rename-bug/3ae7aa45-f157-4d67-a6ad-6ec940e7b92bI'm having this exact same problem.The answer there didn't address the error.That post was locked.The problems not fixed....
  4. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name: I got a new laptop and set-up myself as an administrator using my windows profile. My name is correctly everywhere in my profile except in the Windows " Users > [user name] folder. I have no idea where this name came from and it's incredibly frustrating, since it's a typo of...
  6. Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name

Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name: I got a new laptop and set-up myself as an administrator using my windows profile. My name is correctly everywhere in my profile except in the Windows " Users > [user name] folder. I have no idea where this name came from and it's incredibly frustrating, since it's a typo of...
  7. When renaming files, whole name is selected several times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When renaming files, whole name is selected several times: I am trying to rename files on Windows 11, but I keep having the same problem. Whether I click on the rename button in the context menu or use F2, the whole file name starts selected which is normal, but if I then use the arrow keys to move to the beginning or the end of the...
  8. When renaming files, whole name is selected several times

When renaming files, whole name is selected several times: I am trying to rename files on Windows 11, but I keep having the same problem. Whether I click on the rename button in the context menu or use F2, the whole file name starts selected which is normal, but if I then use the arrow keys to move to the beginning or the end of the...
  9. The renaming of files on OneDrive keeps getting interrupted while typing the new file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The renaming of files on OneDrive keeps getting interrupted while typing the new file name: When I'm going through my OneDrive folder in explorer and updating the file names I'm running into an issue intermittently.I'll click the file name to highlight and change it, but a second after I start typing, everything in the text box gets selected as though I've just...
  10. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 explorer delay when rename