Windows 10: File Explorer repeatedly refreshing its display

Discus and support File Explorer repeatedly refreshing its display in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why does the File Explorer keep refreshing its list of files in a folder while you are trying to work with entries in the list? It wipes out whatever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RonPartridge, Aug 23, 2019.

1. File Explorer repeatedly refreshing its display

Why does the File Explorer keep refreshing its list of files in a folder while you are trying to work with entries in the list? It wipes out whatever you are currently doing, and sometimes applies an action to a file at the top of the list which just happened to be in the same position on the screen as the file you were about to rename, copy, delete, or display. How do I report this problem?

:)

RonPartridge, Aug 23, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Anyway to REFRESH the Network display in File explorer

@OP
    Even if you can right click on the blank area and click on refresh, the list/icon of the removed devices will still be displayed in File Explorer until the Network Cache is refreshed. You can power cycle the router and from your pc, type: ipconfig /flushdns then reboot and eventually will disappear.

topgundcp, Aug 23, 2019
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

The Refresh DOES appear when you right mouse click in the space but the Network mappings aren't refreshed -- the cache still waits several minutes before the display of network computers are updated.

Thanks for all the help -- it seems that Network mapping isn't high on the list of File explorer attributes -- at least the map DOES refresh even though one has to wait a few minutes.

Would be nice though to be able to FORCE a manual refresh though. I suppose a problem could be that the NEW system coming online has to create connections to computers IT finds on the network. I can understand a delay for a system STARTING UP but a system shutting down should disappear instantly from the list !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 23, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

File Explorer repeatedly refreshing its display

Hi there

I've tried all the options --just doesn't seem to appear on my system.

However the Network DOES eventually get refreshed after several minutes - - seems to do this by itself so there must be some Network scanning process taking place. I shouldn't have to re-boot a system just because a machine or a media server goes off line.

The frustrating thing is that SAMBA on Linux refreshes as soon as you browse the network again.

What's worse though is when the server comes back online I have to wait again for a few minutes before it appears in the network list although it will as before appear automatically after several minutes.

Seems I can't as a normal user get access to the cache here to manually force a refresh.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer repeatedly refreshing its display

1. File Explorer repeatedly refreshing its display - Similar Threads - File Explorer repeatedly

2. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  3. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  4. File Explorer Refresh Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Refresh Problem: On the Public Version I have my background changing every minute and it is causing File Explorer to refresh when it changes to the next image. So if I'm looking down a long list trying to find a specific file I lose my place every time the Background image changes as File...
  5. File Explorer and Windows 10 is continuously refreshing and often displays no script

File Explorer and Windows 10 is continuously refreshing and often displays no script: Hi everybody, So, my request for help is focussed on two possibly related issues that I've been having with File Explorer for a while now, but it's now reached a critical point for me and I'm really hopeful that somebody can help me out. Problem number one is that File...
  6. icon refreshing in file explorer

icon refreshing in file explorer: When my Windows 10 file explorer opens a folder containing a .JPG file, it triggers a non-stop frenzy of repeatedly refreshing every icon in sight including the desktop and probably others as well. I have tried many suggestions for fixing things relating to Explorer but none...
  7. Refresh problem in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Refresh problem in File Explorer: In an earlier thread, I reported that following an update file explorer no longer automatically refreshes after a deletion or change. I tried all the suggestions, but the problem persists. So I swapped a recently made clone of the hard drive and booted that. The same problem...
  8. File Explorer stopped refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer stopped refreshing: Until yesterday, when I deleted a file shown in File Explorer, it immediately vanished. But now, deleted files won’t go away until I right-click on a blank space and click Refresh. Same with renamed files. I did a SFC /scannow, which found some problems and corrected them,...
  9. Anyway to REFRESH the Network display in File explorer

Anyway to REFRESH the Network display in File explorer: Hi there If I remove / close down two or 3 computers from my Lan together with the media servers is there any way I can refresh the network display on File explorer to show the CURRENTLY CONNECTED computers / servers. It will correct itself eventually (after a few...
  10. View refresh in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    View refresh in file explorer: In W7 I could refresh the file list after deleting files using the view menu and the refresh option. W10 does not remove deleted files from view at once nor does it have a way of doing it manually that I can find. I can't believe it no longer exists. Thanks J 39365