Windows 10: File Explorer reporting wrong size for some folders, Windows 10 v1809

Discus and support File Explorer reporting wrong size for some folders, Windows 10 v1809 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] [img] As you can see from the images above, File Explorer reports that the Windows directory is 2.47GB in size, but if I check the size of one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mTaylor0248603, Feb 5, 2019.

1. File Explorer reporting wrong size for some folders, Windows 10 v1809

File Explorer reporting wrong size for some folders, Windows 10 v1809 [​IMG]

File Explorer reporting wrong size for some folders, Windows 10 v1809 [​IMG]

As you can see from the images above, File Explorer reports that the Windows directory is 2.47GB in size, but if I check the size of one of the sub-directories in the Windows folder (in this case the WinSxS folder), it reports a size of 6.01GB. How can the Windows folder be only 2.47GB if just one of its sub-folders is 6.01GB? Clearly this isn't accurate, is anyone else experiencing this issue and is there a way to remedy it?

:)

mTaylor0248603, Feb 5, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 5, 2019
  3. S1234XU Win User
    Windows 10 File Explorer gives wrong of Folder size.

Can Microsoft please confirm that there is an issue with Windows 10 File Explorer reporting of Folder size. TreeSizeFree correctly reports one of my folders as 574GB where as File Explorer reports it as 5.4GB. I have the same folder on two separate drives.
    The property of the same folder was reported correctly by File Explorer before updating windows 10

S1234XU, Feb 5, 2019
  4. File Explorer reporting wrong size for some folders, Windows 10 v1809

How to automatically see the size of folders in the Windows 10 file explorer

Hi Zeljko,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in File Explorer settings.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to steps to find the size of the folder containing data in it.

1. Right click on File Explorer where
    Folder
    are present.

2. Then right click on the File Explorer and
    View
    menu.

3. Click on either Content or Details.

4. Check if Size is getting displayed or not.

Please get back to us with an update on finding the folder size, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer reporting wrong size for some folders, Windows 10 v1809

1. File Explorer reporting wrong size for some folders, Windows 10 v1809 - Similar Threads - File Explorer reporting

2. Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size: File Manager does not consider all files & folders while calculating the size Right click --> Properties. When I checked further, found that files & folders without Read access are excluded from the calculation. Which other types of files & folders are excluded? Please...
  3. Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size: File Manager does not consider all files & folders while calculating the size Right click --> Properties. When I checked further, found that files & folders without Read access are excluded from the calculation. Which other types of files & folders are excluded? Please...
  4. Windows 10 Folder Size using File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Folder Size using File Explorer: Why does not the folder size show up in the File explorer even after selecting the option 'display file size info in folder tips' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-folder-size-using-file-explorer/9de9317a-4c7d-47c7-ae6c-aa6922c360e0
  5. File Explorer shows wrong folder size

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer shows wrong folder size: Recently I noticed that in File Explorer when I right click on a folder and click Properties, the folder size is sometimes shown much smaller than the correct size. For example, in File Explorer, Documents shows as 30 MB (repeat 30 MB), while in Tree Size Free the correct...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer not showing correct folder size

Windows 10 File Explorer not showing correct folder size: Regarding this issue, valid more than a year from v1803 on, has now been proven to be corrected on v1903, Great! Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-not-showing-correct/2f8b976b-4330-4fa7-b805-8b9d497fd7b6"
  7. File and Folder Permission Problem in Windows 10 v1809

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File and Folder Permission Problem in Windows 10 v1809: There appears to be a serious bug in Windows 10 v1809. To reproduce the symptom, try this using default Windows GUI tools: 1. Create an arbitrary file, named "TEST" for example. 2. Remove file permission inheritance from TEST. ("Disable Inheritance", choose to copy...
  8. Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size

Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size: Need Help, Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size. Its very difficult to identify big size folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-file-explorer-not-showing-folder-size/7b31df8a-3fe7-41d2-97c9-d5cfb6c93cf1"
  9. Window 10 gives wrong folder size

Window 10 gives wrong folder size: Any easy fix to solve wrong folder size displayed in Window 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-gives-wrong-folder-size/8f7e6669-2110-4044-bc8a-aa44dba91e61"
  10. Font size in files and folders explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Font size in files and folders explorer: Hello, How can I resize the text in windows explorer - files and folders, the fonts are so small I can hardly see them with my eyeglasses. Please help. Thanks And thanks for all previous answers 48919

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer reporting on volume of folders

2. inaccurante directory properties in file explorer

3. windows 2019 reporting folder size incorrectly

4. windows 10 folers and files not showing under properties,
  5. windows explorer reporitng wrioong file size,
  6. windows10 folder properties are incorrect,
  7. windows 10 folder properties size wrong,
  8. windows 10 1809 explorer report size wrong,
  9. photos reporting wrong file size pc,
  10. file explorer shows incorrect folder size on external drive~windows 10,
  11. incorrect size of photo showing 11gb size,