Windows 10: File explorer reverting search feature?

Discus and support File explorer reverting search feature? in Cortana to solve the problem; Hey community, since the latest Windows 10 update the search function of the file explorer functions different, as alot would have probably noticed.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Excederus, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Excederus Win User

File explorer reverting search feature?

Hey community,

since the latest Windows 10 update the search function of the file explorer functions different, as alot would have probably noticed.

And I hate it.
    I can't use tag/attribute searches anymore for example "width:x"
    If I want to search something else I have to first use ctrl+a or mark everything with my mouse to delete it/search for something else where before all text in the search box was marked when you just clicked back into the search box
    I am forced to use the back button on the left to quit the search instead of emptying the search box and hitting enter this is not too bad, but I'm used to it
    And there are probably other things that I can't do now.

Is there any way to revert back to the old File Explorer or change how the search box functions?

I'm on Windows version 1909

:)

Excederus, Apr 28, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Apr 28, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 28, 2020
  4. hKaiY Win User

How to revert file explorer search function prior to Windows 10 feature update version 1909

I would like to revert my file explorer search function to the one prior to feature update version 1909.

The new "updated" search function for Windows file explorer is slow, clunky, and doesn't give to option to clear one's search history.

I had previously uninstalled the version 1909 update from Windows settings but the search function remains the same.

Please advise on how to revert the file explorer search function to what it was prior to this "update".

hKaiY, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

1. File explorer reverting search feature? - Similar Threads - File explorer reverting

2. Reverting setting for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reverting setting for File Explorer: I want to delete unnecessary files from my external hard drive recycle bin to get more space in the hard drive. I do have the instructions as to how to do that. But my question is: After you delete these files, how do you revert the File Explorer settings to normal. After all...
  3. Reverting setting for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting setting for File Explorer: I want to delete unnecessary files from my external hard drive recycle bin to get more space in the hard drive. I do have the instructions as to how to do that. But my question is: After you delete these files, how do you revert the File Explorer settings to normal. After all...
  4. Reverting setting for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. revert File Explorer to original

revert File Explorer to original: My File Explorer is messed up completely. I store very few items but suddenly IF I am able to download anything in Edge I am unable to find it anywhere in the folders listed in navigation. And the navigation left pane lists every folder category: Quick Access, This Pc, One...
  6. Is it me or is File Explorer Search Feature useless?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it me or is File Explorer Search Feature useless?: It's been years now that I haven't even tried to use File Explorer search feature, since when I tried it many times, it was useless. I tried it again today, trying to find the exe file for process explorer, searching the Program directories. As usual, the progress slider...
  7. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  8. File explorer search feature

File explorer search feature: Hello, It has been 2 updates or so since it doesn't work how it used to. Before, when I went into my file explorer and type something on the search bar on the top right corner, it would search on all my hard drives I have 7 of them. Now I have to manually enter in each...
  9. How to revert to the old instant search in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to revert to the old instant search in file explorer?: Hello, I know alot of people have issues with windows 10 and don’t like it but for what I do with it, alot of the inconvenience didn’t bother me. I have auto updates on and I update to the latest version of windows as it comes it and so I woke up today to the new search box...
  10. How to revert file explorer search function prior to Windows 10 feature update version 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to revert file explorer search function prior to Windows 10 feature update version 1909: I would like to revert my file explorer search function to the one prior to feature update version 1909. The new "updated" search function for Windows file explorer is slow, clunky, and doesn't give to option to clear one's search history. I had previously uninstalled the...