Windows 10: File explorer running exceedingly slow

Discus and support File explorer running exceedingly slow in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In the last 7 months Im witnessing file explorerand a few apps only starting to run progressively slow on my win 11. It started with negligible time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RoyHT, Feb 3, 2023.

1. RoyHT Win User

File explorer running exceedingly slow

In the last 7 months Im witnessing file explorerand a few apps only starting to run progressively slow on my win 11. It started with negligible time delays to now when it takes about 30-40 secs for any and every folder to open. Downloads and uploads to and from folders to browsers, loading and saving files from a folder to some apps, too take a similar amount of time.Anything that does not involve explorer like surfing on a browser, or working within the same folder is functioning as normal. All this is accompanied by numerous popups and edge crash notifs that happen intermittently.Note: Thi

:)

RoyHT, Feb 3, 2023

2. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Feb 3, 2023
  3. razghost Win User
    File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Feb 3, 2023
  4. Clint Win User

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Thank you.

Clint, Feb 3, 2023
Thema:

1. File explorer running exceedingly slow - Similar Threads - File explorer running

2. File explorer running exceedingly slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer running exceedingly slow: In the last 7 months Im witnessing file explorerand a few apps only starting to run progressively slow on my win 11. It started with negligible time delays to now when it takes about 30-40 secs for any and every folder to open. Downloads and uploads to and from folders to...
  3. Windows File Explorer running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer running extremely slow: Hi All!I have been having trouble with file explorer over the past 3 months, with it running extremely slow. It will take upwards of 40 seconds to go from one folder to the next. I have tried resetting explorer and indexing my files with no success. I also attempted to stop...
  4. Windows File Explorer running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer running extremely slow: Hi All!I have been having trouble with file explorer over the past 3 months, with it running extremely slow. It will take upwards of 40 seconds to go from one folder to the next. I have tried resetting explorer and indexing my files with no success. I also attempted to stop...
  5. Windows File Explorer running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows explorer copy and file browsing running slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer copy and file browsing running slow.: A few months ago windows 10 explorer.exe was running slow when browsing folders and copying files within the C drive. I have a solid state drive and copying files from one location on drive C to another location on drive C would transfer around 20KByte/sec, but only within...
  7. Windows explorer copy and file browsing running slow.

Windows explorer copy and file browsing running slow.: A few months ago windows 10 explorer.exe was running slow when browsing folders and copying files within the C drive. I have a solid state drive and copying files from one location on drive C to another location on drive C would transfer around 20KByte/sec, but only within...
  8. Windows explorer copy and file browsing running slow.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. file explorer search running slow/ not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search running slow/ not working: When I try to search a drive, folder or anything using the "quick search access" it doesn't seem to be working. It gets stuck just before the end, and no search result is given. I have tried the fix tool to no avail. It seems with older versions it was a matter of a few...
  10. file explorer search running slow/ not working

file explorer search running slow/ not working: When I try to search a drive, folder or anything using the "quick search access" it doesn't seem to be working. It gets stuck just before the end, and no search result is given. I have tried the fix tool to no avail. It seems with older versions it was a matter of a few...