Windows 10: file explorer scroll bar keep jumping to top

Discus and support file explorer scroll bar keep jumping to top in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Shawn. Can you help with file explorer scroll bar that keep on jumping to the top. I actually knew it since few builds back. I thought it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kevin Ismail, Sep 28, 2015.

1. file explorer scroll bar keep jumping to top

Hi Shawn.

Can you help with file explorer scroll bar that keep on jumping to the top. I actually knew it since few builds back. I thought it's already resolved. That was why, last week when I got an offer of free upgrade on my samsung ativ running win 8.1n didn't think much, just hit the button and upgraded to Win 10. Later I found my file list on the explorer keep jumping to the top just like the previous trial I have in other PC.
    Can you help me with that? (I already sent feed back to MS through Windows Feedback app)

Thank in advance.

Kevin

:)

Kevin Ismail, Sep 28, 2015
  2. ANANDHUSL Win User

Scroll bar keeps jumping to top of scroll bar

every time Scroll bar keeps jumping to top of scroll bar

ANANDHUSL, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer - Scroll bar keeps jumping to top of scroll bar

That... is unfortunate. Honestly at this point it becomes a searching game and collecting clues. Something is causing it (obviously, that's a genius statement there), and we know it doesn't occur on a blank fresh install of Windows. So, here's some thoughts
    that come to mind:

First though, I'm curious, are the folders you are typically using synchronized by any type of service? I'm thinking things like OneDrive, SharePoint, Google Drive, iCloud, DropBox, stuff of that nature. Or, backup services like Carbonite, Norton Online
    Backup, and such. These are some of the only things that I would image would be sending commands to the File Explorer process to trigger the view to refresh or change. Not that they should (and for what it's worth, it doesn't happen for me and I have several
    of those services running simultaneously). But still, it could be an as-yet unknown combination of factors that triggers the problem, so doesn't hurt to ask.

Another tool that's available to diagnosing such things is AutoRuns. Microsoft publishes this tool here, and you can run it without actually installing anything: Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals.
    Here's what I'd do if I had your computer with me:

• Go to that page and click the "Run now" link on the right side. Depending on what web browser you use and your settings, you may be prompted to save the file or run it. You can just save it to your desktop or run it directly. It doesn't install anything
      and you can delete the file when we're done.
    • Once you open the tool, choose "Run as administrator" on the file menu of the program. It will restart itself and perform a quick scan of all the hooks it can search. In this context I mean hooks as "integration points where Microsoft and/or 3rd party tools
      can interface with the operating system." For example, if you have ever seen extra options on the right-click menu for your particular graphics card, or "Scan this file with Norton" on the right-click menu and such, you're seeing these integrations where
      extra commands are injected into the OS that aren't there by default. This tool makes those hooks visible.
    • Once it's done scanning, go to the Explorer tab at the top. Here you'll see every extra hook that's presently installed into the Explorer. A picture of what mine looks like is below, and you'll see that I have these extra integrations for a variety of
      things like a "Scan with Defender" option on the right-click menu, and integration with both Google Drive and OneDrive, and more.

file explorer scroll bar keep jumping to top [​IMG]

As with the Task Scheduler, none of these extra hooks are actually required for Explorer itself, they just provide nice shortcuts and functions for these extra items. And I bet you can guess where I'm going with this. You can uncheck the box at the left
    for any item to disable it temporarily. The change takes place immediately for most of these, so there's no need to reboot. You can uncheck one, open a new folder window and test to see if it's still happening immediately. While it's possible the actual
    root cause could be a hook in another area, it's likely to be in the Explorer section because, of course, that's where the problem is being observed.

You'll notice one of mine is an entry for a file that no longer exists (shaded in yellow). It's not causing any harm (it is just skipped during bootup).

PS. This software was originally built by a security researcher (a guy named Mark Russinovich) find malicious hooks and remove them. Things like viruses or maybe-not-quite-a-virus-but-still-bad-software that you need to clean out. But it can be incredibly
    valuable for cases like this also.

Anyway, sorry you're struggling with this. Hopefully together we can find the cause -- I'm sure there's many others that would be pleased as well. If you have any questions or just want to send the list of what you see when you run that tool, no problem
    at all.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Sep 28, 2015
Thema:

file explorer scroll bar keep jumping to top

1. file explorer scroll bar keep jumping to top - Similar Threads - file explorer scroll

2. Scroll bar in Windows Explorer jumping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scroll bar in Windows Explorer jumping: I have looked at this question posed before and I tried two different solutions. I do not have a color change set in Settings, and I tried the Safe Mode and reset method. Nothings works. What is the solution, please?...
  3. Scroll bar in Windows Explorer jumping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scroll bar in Windows Explorer jumping: I have looked at this question posed before and I tried two different solutions. I do not have a color change set in Settings, and I tried the Safe Mode and reset method. Nothings works. What is the solution, please?...
  4. Scroll bar in Windows Explorer jumping

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 : Scroll bar keeps jumping to top & file explorer auto opens, bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 : Scroll bar keeps jumping to top & file explorer auto opens, bug: Its been 25 days am facing this issue, whenever this bug appears and need to refresh many times and then after it came to normal.One more bug is with the file explorer whenever try to open other apps the file explorer auto opens. This both the bugs happens at the same time &...
  6. Scroll bar jumps back to the top in file explorer when trying to scroll down and I'm only...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scroll bar jumps back to the top in file explorer when trying to scroll down and I'm only...: Mouse not letting me click anything other than the top folder or file in file explorer and when I try to scroll down using mouse wheel or by dragging the scroll bar it scrolls back to top instantly. I clean installed windows twice and tried using an external mouse after...
  7. Scroll Bar jumping to top of page

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scroll Bar jumping to top of page: After the last update I now have the same issue: It occurs in File Explorer on the program menu start. It also prevents drop down boxes on web pages being used, with out using the arrow down key!!!!...
  8. File Explorer keeps jumping to the top!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer keeps jumping to the top!: I have multiple files in many folder. Sometimes, when I am scrolling down (Details view with Preview) the list will jump back to the top....this is really annoying as I can have several pages to review file names before I get to the item I need. Before you ask, I do use...
  9. Scroll Bar jumping to top of page

Scroll Bar jumping to top of page: I have seen this topic posted in old posts from 2015. After the last update I now have the same issue: It occurs in File Explorer on the program menu start, It also prevents drop down boxes on web pages being used, with out using the arrow down key!!!! I have followed...
  10. New : Scroll Bar jumping to top of page

New : Scroll Bar jumping to top of page: I have seen this topic posted in old posts from 2015. After the last update I now have the same issue: It occurs in File Explorer on the program menu start, It also prevents drop down boxes on web pages being used, with out using the arrow down key!!!! I have followed...