Windows 10: File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode?

Discus and support File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; No other apps seem to be affected so far. In Windows File Explorer when you open it independently or access it from another app to upload a file the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KaMcCa, Dec 1, 2022.

1. KaMcCa Win User

File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode?

No other apps seem to be affected so far. In Windows File Explorer when you open it independently or access it from another app to upload a file the search bar drops down and goes back up over and over again essentially causing a flashing effect. It does not do this in safe mode. Does anyone know what that means? I've seen other posts mention to check if it happens in safe mode but they didn't specify why or what it meant if anything.

:)

KaMcCa, Dec 1, 2022

2. Minimizing file explorer sends it back to search mode

With latest Windows 10 update (currently I'm having 2004), if you search in File Explorer and do "open folder/file location", and then minimize the explorer window, it will automatically roll back to original search status.

Steps to reproduce this bug:

1. Open File Explorer

2. Pick a drive/folder, say "D:\data"

3. On search box of File Explorer, type a search string, for instance "rose"

4. A list of folders/files that have the string "rose" will be listed, and now right click on a folder/file, and select "open folder/file location"

5. As expected, the search status (colored as blue in task bar) is gone, and the window becomes like a regular file explorer window (colored as yellow in task bar).

6. You can further click on side bar and choose a different folder to display

7. NOW the PROBLEM, if you minimize this window (or click on bottom right corner to minimize all open windows), you will see from task bar that it goes back to search mode, and display "rose". If you open it again, you will see it shows
    search result for "rose" in current folder.

So, by picking "open file location", you already end the search and want to use file explorer in its usual way, but minimizing the window brings it back to search mode. I use search A LOT, and have seen this issue only recently. This is definitely a bug!

Henry Shen, Dec 1, 2022
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 1, 2022
  4. File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode?

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 1, 2022
Thema:

File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode?

1. File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode? - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. File explorer drop down folder overview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer drop down folder overview: Just opened my laptop after an update, scanned some stuff and had to move them from wherever to my folders. Usually I do this by finding the item, then dragging it to where I want it to go. The leftside view usually drops the subfolders down when I hover over them, but now...
  3. File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode?: No other apps seem to be affected so far. In Windows File Explorer when you open it independently or access it from another app to upload a file the search bar drops down and goes back up over and over again essentially causing a flashing effect. It does not do this in safe...
  4. File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search bar dropping down and closing again constantly, but why not in safe mode?: No other apps seem to be affected so far. In Windows File Explorer when you open it independently or access it from another app to upload a file the search bar drops down and goes back up over and over again essentially causing a flashing effect. It does not do this in safe...
  5. File explorer menu drop down bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer menu drop down bug: When i use the drop down menu of the file explorer in snap layouts it automatically gets closed. I raised this issue so many times on feedback hub maybe from 20 days but it didn't fixed.Here is a clear reproduction of the issue...
  6. File explorer menu drop down bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer menu drop down bug: When i use the drop down menu of the file explorer in snap layouts it automatically gets closed. I raised this issue so many times on feedback hub maybe from 20 days but it didn't fixed.Here is a clear reproduction of the issue...
  7. Search bar in the left down corner not working, same with file explorer's search bar

in Cortana
    Search bar in the left down corner not working, same with file explorer's search bar: So yeah, my search bar is totally not responding and it is the same with file explorer's search bar, I restarted the PC, checked for updates and didin't delete anything. Anyone got some ideas? [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. File Explorer Closes after search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Closes after search: How do I fix the problem of File Explorer closing at the end of a search? File Explorer in Windows 10 Pro closes all open file explorer windows when a search ends....
  9. File Explorer closes when searching for a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer closes when searching for a file: In File Explorer, when I type an entry into the Search box, it momentarily shows results then File Explorer closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-closes-when-searching-for-a-file/2be6c0d9-16bb-479c-93ec-7f16e189223a
  10. What directories get added to the File Explorer address bar drop down?

in Windows 10 Support
    What directories get added to the File Explorer address bar drop down?: There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which directories get added to the file explorer address bar drop down. They are not the ones I have visited most recently, and they are not the ones I visit most frequently. 46006