Windows 10: File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access

Discus and support File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 version 20h2 Steps to reproduce: 1. Open file explorer 2. type something in search box 3. clear search box 4. click search box again,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Xi Zhuang, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Xi Zhuang Win User

File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access

Windows 10 version 20h2

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open file explorer

2. type something in search box

3. clear search box

4. click search box again, you will see a drop down list showing recent search history

5. click the Quick access which is located at the top of file explorer Navigation pane

6. click search box again, it does not show the history list anymore

I have to close file explorer and open it again to get the search history back.

:)

Xi Zhuang, Oct 21, 2020

2. File Explorer Quick Access Search box: How to increase keyword history

Is there a way to increase the number of remembered search items in the search box in file explorer and file open dialogs?

File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access [​IMG]

The history shows 3 keywords which were previously searched. I would like it to be able to show up to 5 items (if available) for example.

Is there a way to customize this?

EvolutionEgo, Oct 21, 2020
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Oct 21, 2020
  4. Suman_B Win User

In File Explorer Quick Access

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we would need some information.

1. What exactly do you mean by “old firefox”?

Quick Access is basically showing you folders that you frequently used, and showing you files that you’ve recently accessed.

If you want to clear the files from file history, you can right click on the file and click on 'Remove from Quick Access"

I suggest you refer the below steps to clear file history.

1. Click Start and type: file explorer options and hit Enter or click the option at the top of the search results.
    2. Now in the Privacy section make sure both boxes are checked for recently used files and folder in Quick Access and click the Clear button.

Cookies
    are stored on your computer by websites you visit and contain information such as site preferences or your login status, refer this article on
    Enable and disable cookies.

Refer this article on Disabling third-party cookies in Firefox.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Suman_B, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

1. File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access - Similar Threads - File explorer search

2. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked: This dump was taken after about 5 minutes, previous search list had not been displayed.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apl0rgCPgEetgjvN_0YIjGfbqFhd?e=fbureZ...
  3. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked: This dump was taken after about 5 minutes, previous search list had not been displayed.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apl0rgCPgEetgjvN_0YIjGfbqFhd?e=fbureZ...
  4. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using the search box in File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using the search box in File History: I have data from a previously owned laptop secured via File History. When I look for files using the Restore from File History interface, I noticed that the search box seems to only look for files that start with the text entered. So if I put "lamb" in the search box, it...
  6. Using the search box in File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using the search box in File History: I have data from a previously owned laptop secured via File History. When I look for files using the Restore from File History interface, I noticed that the search box seems to only look for files that start with the text entered. So if I put "lamb" in the search box, it...
  7. File Explorer search box not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search box not accessible: I've recently installed Windows 11, and I have an issue with the search function of the File Explorer: I can't put my cursor in the Search field if I launch the File Explorer through the default 'File Explorer' shortcut.I found the following workaround: I open the 'old'...
  8. File Explorer search box not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search box not accessible: I've recently installed Windows 11, and I have an issue with the search function of the File Explorer: I can't put my cursor in the Search field if I launch the File Explorer through the default 'File Explorer' shortcut.I found the following workaround: I open the 'old'...
  9. right clicking quick access in file explorer crashes file explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    right clicking quick access in file explorer crashes file explorer: Issue Type: BugIssue frequency: every time I do this operationIssue duration: Since 2 yrs ago I bought this PCHardware: OMEN-15 i7 1660Ti + 16GB MemOS Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041 Home version----------------Issue Reproducing-----------------1. Open any file explorer...
  10. File Explorer Quick Access Search box: How to increase keyword history

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Quick Access Search box: How to increase keyword history: Is there a way to increase the number of remembered search items in the search box in file explorer and file open dialogs? [img] The history shows 3 keywords which were previously searched. I would like it to be able to show up to 5 items (if available) for example....