Windows 10: File Explorer Search Criteria

Discus and support File Explorer Search Criteria in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File Explorer Search Criteria: can you use search characters e.g. ? *... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnMacKay6, Jan 1, 2019.

1. File Explorer Search Criteria

File Explorer Search Criteria: can you use search characters e.g. ? *

:)

JohnMacKay6, Jan 1, 2019
  2. chasw98 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer search options

When I search for a file the results shows files that match my search criteria but also files where the characters within the content of a file matches the search criteria.

I want the results to show only FILE NAMES that match the search criteria.

I do not want file names listed where the content is match.

The File Explorer Search Option tab last box UNCHECKED setting that I thought would control the search has no effect.

Where is the Windows 10 File Explorer search option to NOT include (or exclude) searching the content of a file?

File Explorer Search Criteria 619f62e4-d15a-4c56-8fac-e21d6a5b1104.jpg

chasw98, Jan 1, 2019
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jan 1, 2019
  4. File Explorer Search Criteria

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer Search Criteria

1. File Explorer Search Criteria - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. File searching criteria

in Cortana
    File searching criteria: How do I search for a file using creation date and time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-searching-criteria/0681d344-f2e0-423c-a7ce-d5ad963755a1
  3. How to search tags with multiple criteria using AND in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to search tags with multiple criteria using AND in File Explorer?: How do I search tags with multiple criteria using AND in File Explorer? For example, I want to find files that have been tagged with both "mom" AND "dad". Currently, I can find files using OR, but it doesn't work for AND....
  4. File explorer search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search: Whenever i search for files and I type ‘ash’ it only returns results for file names starting with ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ etc. Is there a setting I can change so that when i search for ‘ash’ it returns any file name containing ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ ‘Crashing.docx’ ‘Call me...
  5. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  6. How to search using multiple criteria in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to search using multiple criteria in File Explorer?: In File Explorer I'm entering the search query below. It doesn't work as expected, and will find files outside of the date range. How can I search for .mp4 AND .mov files within a date range? modified:1/1/2020..2/4/2020 AND name:*.mp4 OR name:*.mov...
  7. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: I'm having trouble using file explorer quick search. When opening a file in file explorer search bar and searching for specific files with similar names, Windows used to auotpopulate common characters in a drop down box. Now it only populates with recently used file names...
  8. windows search box not producing result from search criteria

in Cortana
    windows search box not producing result from search criteria: windows search box not producing result from search criteria https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-box-not-producing-result-from/e03e771f-4983-40e5-a1b8-c6af5df12d62"
  9. Add search criteria in Word 2013

Add search criteria in Word 2013: In Word 2013 I need to know how to add search criteria. Ex. I want to search my computer for all documents I've created in word saved as Purchase Agreement, in addition to those containing the word acre and created on or after January 1, 2018. In Word 2003 I was able to do...
  10. Sorting Explorer columns by multiple criteria

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting Explorer columns by multiple criteria: Hi, I used to sort files in the w10 explorer using detailed view by date and then, by left clicking on name, the directories by name. For some reason, this does not work any more. Does anyone have an idea how I can do this again, as it worked fine until recently....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer search criteria