Windows 10: File Explorer Search Date Limited

Discus and support File Explorer Search Date Limited in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have updated to Windows 10 Ver. 2004. Ever since the update the search feature of File Explorer is acting weird. I have a folder with folders and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by myrtsbnye, Jul 30, 2020.

1. myrtsbnye Win User

File Explorer Search Date Limited

I have updated to Windows 10 Ver. 2004.

Ever since the update the search feature of File Explorer is acting weird. I have a folder with folders and files dating back to 2007. When I do a search for Adobe PDF files (there are hundreds going back to 2007) I only get the PDF files created or modified since June 3, 2020. But, if I search for Excel files (again hundreds going back to 2007) I only get the files created or modified since July 22, 2019. And for AutoCad Files I only get the files created or modified since March 3, 2020.

It doesn't matter which folder I search I get the same cut off date for each file type. It's very odd that each file type has a different cut off date.

The search feature worked fine before the update.

Is this a known issue or is this unique to my system?

Thanks for any help.

:)

myrtsbnye, Jul 30, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jul 30, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 30, 2020
  4. hopeful Win User

File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

Hello,
    The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's not at all a satisfactory solution as it doesn't show the explorer tree.
    > Is there a patch for this please?

Also, in between, I have used a Mac and there is a search function that you may consider:
    It allows to specify the search several unattached words in the name AND in a time period AND a type.
    Example : name: Report + name: Geneva + date: 30 March-10 April + type: pptx
    THis is most useful for limiting the number of results in very large databases inside Explorer.
    > What do you think?

hopeful, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

1. File Explorer Search Date Limited - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. Using File Explorer to search by date range

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using File Explorer to search by date range: I rarely use File Explorer because I find it one of the least user-friendly facilities I've ever come across. But now I need to search a folder and its sub-folders for all files created or modified between 2 particular dates. My experience thus far is:I want to search...
  3. Using File Explorer to search by date range

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using File Explorer to search by date range: I rarely use File Explorer because I find it one of the least user-friendly facilities I've ever come across. But now I need to search a folder and its sub-folders for all files created or modified between 2 particular dates. My experience thus far is:I want to search...
  4. Using File Explorer to search by date range

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Adequate work-around for date search limitation in Windows 10 File Explorer?

Adequate work-around for date search limitation in Windows 10 File Explorer?: Much seems to have been said about the difficulty that emerged, some 2 years ago, in accessing the Search Ribbon on Windows 10 File Explorer – and then to be presented with the limited eight options ‘today’ to ‘last year’ available for date search. For doing just a specific...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer - Boolean Search Limits

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 File Explorer - Boolean Search Limits: I regularly search for specific filenames in various folders. Sometimes the list of filenames can be a few, sometimes it can be in the hundreds. In general, I create a boolean search that resembles the following: *name1 OR *name2 OR *name3 OR *name4 .... etc For the...
  7. Unable to search by a date or date range in Windows Explorer

in Cortana
    Unable to search by a date or date range in Windows Explorer: We have a user who is unable to search by a date or date range in Windows Explorer. Searching by name returns results. This seems to have started after upgrading to 20H2. This appears to be profile specific We have tried running the troubleshooter, restarting the Search...
  8. Searching for Files by Date

Searching for Files by Date: With Windows 7, searching by date or a range of "custom dates" was much easier. I am seriously confused why the programmers at Microsoft would remove or hide such a useful tool. I hope that this feature in some capacity will come back. Let me describe how this feature...
  9. File Explorer: Date

File Explorer: Date: In File Explorer what does Date mean in comparison to Date Modified or Date Created? What date information does it provide? It is the default date format listed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-date/4614f159-9281-43d2-a1ea-3669f9a9abc0
  10. File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working: Hello, The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's not at all a satisfactory...