Windows 10: File Explorer search, display only files using column number

Discus and support File Explorer search, display only files using column number in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I have a long number of files in a folder and want to use the search function to show only the file names that contain a certain number or letter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Earl, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Earl Win User

File Explorer search, display only files using column number

When I have a long number of files in a folder and want to use the search function to show only the file names that contain a certain number or letter at an exact column number (in the file name) how can I accomplish that?

example

kit12.txt
    dog 33.txt
    dog 45.txt
    dog 46.txt
    kit 55.txt
    many more

and I only want to see all the file name that have in file name column 5 the number 4.

so I would see only

dog 45.txt
    dog 46.txt

Is that possible with file explorer search options or do I need to use a special software program?

:)

Earl, Apr 2, 2016

2. Missing Functionality in Sorting and Refining Search Results using File Explorer in Windows 10

In File Explorer you can select different kinds of information you want to display about files and folders, which are shown in columns. The names of each kind of information are at the top each column. So, for example, we might want to display the following columns
    of information, from among the 50 or more that are available: date modified, type, size and folder path. You can then further refine what information you want to display. Say that I've got several different types of files (docxs, txts, jpgs, pdfs, epubs, bmps
    and htmls) on my flash drive. I only want to look at the pdfs. You can 1.) sort the files according to type or 2.)
    select which types of files you want File Explorer to show. At the top of each column next to the name (date modified, type, size, folder, etc.) you can pull down a little menu of check boxes, depending on the quantity (the number of different
    types of files, the date range over which the files were created or modified, the number of folders and the sizes of the files in KBs.)
    Since I only have the above files on my flash drive they will be the only ones that appear in the little menu at the top of the type column. I simply check the box for pdf and File Explorer only displays the pdf files. You can do the same with
    when files were created or modified (between September 2015 and July 2016) and with files sizes (1 - 16 MBs).

Now, what has provoked my rage is the following.

Just imagine that I've got a complex folder structure on my data drive. I've lost files and some aren't where they should be. I want to see all the files on it. I want to list the entire contents of the drive. What I usually do is a wildcard search. In the
    search field I enter *.*. If I want to just see pdfs, or pdfs and epubs, I just check those boxes on the type column, next to where it says "Type"

Since the last update I have not been able to do that. I have not been able to refine or narrow down my wildcard search (*.*) by file type, size, filename or folder. The only one that works is the date. When I try to pull down the menu down next to any of
    the columns either nothing happens or I get this message "computing filters...", wait for several seconds, and then no filters appear; and they should appear as all the different types of files in the search results. After that I'm unable to scroll through
    the files and they're always displayed in "content" view not "details" view which is the "view" with which I begin searching for docs on File Explorer

I know this way of looking for things on my laptop is a little strange. I've just discovered that there is a search syntax that will achieve the same results.

My method works for me.

I want to know 1.) is this a windows error? 2.) was this a feature or function that was removed in the latest update?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Marco____., Apr 2, 2016
  3. JimSowa Win User
    File Explorer in list view shows wide columns when using filter "name:"

In File Explorer with a list view and a search filter of name:xxx the columns displayed are like 80 characters wide for files that match "xxx" pattern. This just started after the update in October 2016.

How can I get the file list column width back down to something reasonable?

JimSowa, Apr 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 2, 2016
  5. Earl Win User
    Earl, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer search, display only files using column number - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. File Explorer Details Display Columns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Details Display Columns: Hello,None of the display fields show the user the last date:time a full folder path was last modified new files added or files changed. The standard File Explorer selection of Name, Date Modified, Type and Size does not do this, as Date Modified may relate to when the top...
  3. File Explorer Details Display Columns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Details Display Columns: Hello,None of the display fields show the user the last date:time a full folder path was last modified new files added or files changed. The standard File Explorer selection of Name, Date Modified, Type and Size does not do this, as Date Modified may relate to when the top...
  4. File Explorer Tags column

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Tags column: Hello How do I get PDF tags to show in the File Explorer Tags column? please see image below.Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tags-column/20e8c79b-6499-4e5e-bf02-3247f28ab7c9
  5. File Explorer Ratings Column

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Ratings Column: 1. How do I unrate a file. There is no 0 star option?2. How to rate folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-ratings-column/d01892b5-44d6-4b09-840e-bcdac7dbe284
  6. How to display file count in a column in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to display file count in a column in explorer: Hi everyone, Is there a way to display how many files are in a folder in details layout explorer window? submitted by /u/NewsFromHell [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/grn5xj/how_to_display_file_count_in_a_column_in_explorer/
  7. file explorer columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer columns: The problem is since update to version 1909 the bit rate is not showing in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-columns/a243c5e2-ac14-4cae-b62e-895a75d97cae
  8. Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns: Long time lurker, first post in this forum. First Let me say hello and thanks to Brink and other contributors for all the great tips and tricks, I've used a ton of them since sevenforums.com and now tenforums.com. Last year I moved from win7 to win 10 with a new laptop and...
  9. Make every folder in File Explorer display only two columns

in Windows 10 Support
    Make every folder in File Explorer display only two columns: I would like every folder in File Explorer have the exact same view; General Items (okay easily done) Detailed view (easily done) Columns Displayed (only Name and Date Modified) - Obviously I can change the columns after entering a folder for the first time, but I...
  10. File Explorer Column Headings

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Column Headings: Hello, Each time I make a new folder to store there some media files such as music or video, imediantly the column headings (automaticaly) are (except the name), as follows: # , Title, Contributing Artists, Album. So I have to click on each heading to change it (except...