Windows 10: File explorer search does not find files in ver 1909 almost every day

Discus and support File explorer search does not find files in ver 1909 almost every day in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have had to rebuild the index 3 or 4 times since updating to ver 1909. It can then find files correctly but the next day it fails to find them again.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Try3, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Try3 Win User

File explorer search does not find files in ver 1909 almost every day

I have had to rebuild the index 3 or 4 times since updating to ver 1909. It can then find files correctly but the next day it fails to find them again.
    - It fails during simple searches for files [where I know the search term is within the filename] - 'No items match your search'
    - This is happening in various indexed user folders such as several within Documents
    - There is no corruption to the nominated folders in Control panel, Indexing options or its Registry keys within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex\Sites
    - The troubleshooter merely reports that it 'couldn't identify the problem'
    - I am using Windows 10 Home x64

Has anybody else been seeing this problem?

I workaround the problem using SearchMyFiles but I do miss the convenience of searching within File explorer itself.

Denis

:)

2. RickyGeu Win User

1909 Update file explorer search issue.

RickyGeu, Dec 13, 2019
  3. 1909 Update file explorer search issue.

New 1909 update broke the file explorer search. Now after file explorer window has been open 10+ minutes the search option is grayed out. Text does not show in the bar and the only way to be able to type again is to task kill file explorer from taskmgr.
    I have tried to run the search and index troubleshooter but it says everything is working as intended. I have restarted the windows search service, and I have reset the windows search but this issue happens every day. Any suggestions?

Mary Fraley, Dec 13, 2019
  4. neilpzz Win User

File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909

If I type pdf in File Explorer search I see an instant list of pdf files in that folder, selecting one in the list opens the pdf file. Typing *.pdf in search searches the folder and produces a complete list in File Explorer of the pdf files in the folder.
    Version 1909 build 18363.476

File explorer search does not find files in ver 1909 almost every day 8367888a-9c91-40f3-b4a6-9cd3ac248467?upload=true.png

This is expected behavior, by design. If you have problems with search then there is a problem with the install of Windows 10 on your device.

I would suggest system file scans, in the first instance.

Method 1:

Run DISM tool and check the issue. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin). Or PowerShell (Admin).

b. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

after the scan is complete type the following and press Enter

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

then use method 2.

Method 2:

System file checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Run system file checker (SFC) and see if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin). Or PowerShell (Admin).

b. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

After completing the scans restart using Start > Power > Restart.

neilpzz, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

1. File explorer search does not find files in ver 1909 almost every day - Similar Threads - File explorer search

2. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  3. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  4. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Cortana
  5. Almost every file corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Almost every file corrupted: Hi,I bought a new computer a few days ago. When I try downloading programs through Chrome, Edge or even console, everything seems fine but then they don´t open cause they seem to be corrupted. The only things that work just fine are Chrome and the OS, but everything else...
  6. Almost every file corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Almost every file corrupted: Hi,I bought a new computer a few days ago. When I try downloading programs through Chrome, Edge or even console, everything seems fine but then they don´t open cause they seem to be corrupted. The only things that work just fine are Chrome and the OS, but everything else...
  7. This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SvenCuaresma [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e2llqd/this_1909_file_explorer_search_is_a_complete_mess/
  8. File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there: When in the file explorer normally I can find files easily by doing control-F then typing in a few letters or if looking for a specific type using type:.zip for example. On my new Windows 10 machine (purchased just a few weeks ago) this doesn't work. See the video below for...
  9. Error on file search on File explorer after 1909

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error on file search on File explorer after 1909: Hello. After update 1909, the search on file explorer does not work properly. I really wish back to old type search or find anyone help me. When the search does not properly, the symptoms are as below; Firstly, I could not click the search box even left or right...
  10. 1909 Update file explorer search issue.

in Cortana
    1909 Update file explorer search issue.: New 1909 update broke the file explorer search. Now after file explorer window has been open 10+ minutes the search option is grayed out. Text does not show in the bar and the only way to be able to type again is to task kill file explorer from taskmgr. I have tried to run...