Windows 10: File explorer search is looking in the wrong place

Discus and support File explorer search is looking in the wrong place in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I download a file to my Windows 10 (Version 1903) PC it saves it in C:/Users/username/downloads which is as it should. But when I try to search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maestroc, Mar 27, 2020.

1. maestroc Win User

File explorer search is looking in the wrong place

When I download a file to my Windows 10 (Version 1903) PC it saves it in C:/Users/username/downloads which is as it should.

But when I try to search for something in a file explorer window it isn't linking to files in the C drive downloads folder, instead it is linking to non-existent files in H:/Users/username/downloads. When I try to click on a file in the search results it says the file isn't there (because it isn't)...

The H drive was my old windows installation on a different hard drive. I installed an M.2 drive in my system a month or two ago and migrated my system over to that drive instead making the M.2 drive be my C:. The old H: drive doesn't even have a Users folder on it any more and is used for general storage.

How can I make File Explorer search results point to the proper place? It seems to be stuck thinking I still have files on that old H drive.

Here is a video to show you visually what I am talking about.

Untitled: Mar 26, 2020 9:56 PM.webm - Google Drive

:)

maestroc, Mar 27, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Mar 27, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

File Explorer in wrong place

Hi Colin5XB,

It is possible that you see the File Explorer icon when you click Windows icon because under
    Choose which folders appear on Start File Explorer option is enabled.
    To efficiently assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What is the exact error message you received?

Meanwhile, if you're seeing this photo below:

File explorer search is looking in the wrong place 470284fc-9787-4aa4-b6cf-2c7942811880?upload=true.png

You can remove the File Explorer by following these steps below on how to disable it:

• Open Settings then select Personalization.
    • Choose Start then click Choose which folders appear on Start.
    • Toggle off File Explorer. Check the screenshot:

File explorer search is looking in the wrong place 23bc3af0-c1bc-4fcf-9b8d-e20975e74e84?upload=true.png

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

1. File explorer search is looking in the wrong place - Similar Threads - File explorer search

2. Looking for Windows Explorer search codes?

in Cortana
    Looking for Windows Explorer search codes?: If you want it, come and get it:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/lwef/-search-2x-wds-aqsreferenceOne thing to note is if a parameter has >1 word, it should be entered as 1 word with no spaces in-between. For example, to search videos with a frame height >400,...
  3. something wrong with search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    something wrong with search in File Explorer: I usually using search in file explorer, file name and content inside files. Since this early morn, the result show only folder can't search in file name or file content anymore. Try using troubleshooter, it's detect "windows search is not working" then fixed it, but the...
  4. Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!

Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!: I see this question was asked in 2018 but I see no fix. I have exactly the same issue. My SSD system was copied from a HDD. I replaced the HDD and copied the SSD to the new HDD which I now use as a backup.SSD and HDD have system partition and data partition. Searching in SSD...
  5. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  6. Windows files appearing in the wrong places.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows files appearing in the wrong places.: I have a set of files (I'm not 100% sure what they are, I'm just assuming they are Windows related.) that are appearing on my storage SSD. My windows is installed on my 970 pro M.2, but these files keep appearing on my 850 evo for some reason. The 850 was in a previous...
  7. Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!

Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!: When I do a Windows File Explorer search of my D: drive where I keep all of my documents, photos, etc., the results that appear are not from the D: drive but rather the backup copies that I have in my F: drive. How can this happen? I am running 1803 will all current...
  8. Customize File Explorer look

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize File Explorer look: How do I customize my File Explorer so that it appears like my Computer? 56083
  9. Default apps reset, Windows looking for data in the wrong place

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps reset, Windows looking for data in the wrong place: Hi everyone, 6 days ago, I installed a sizeable update ( version 1709). Afterwards, Windows didn't know what programs to use for many files, including any pictures or archives. I use Picasa & WinRar respectively, and I had to find their .exe and set them as default again....
  10. can't delete files in the wrong place

in Windows 10 Support
    can't delete files in the wrong place: two files have appeared inside my lifelock program and i can't delete them. other ways to delete than using the delete button? ETA: sorry. the program is folderlock. 68303