Windows 10: File Explorer Search Location Options Are Broken

Discus and support File Explorer Search Location Options Are Broken in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some reason, I can't seem to switch from "All subfolders" to "Current folder" when I search for a file in File Explorer. I'm not sure if this is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MatthewSibley, Apr 7, 2020.

1. File Explorer Search Location Options Are Broken

For some reason, I can't seem to switch from "All subfolders" to "Current folder" when I search for a file in File Explorer. I'm not sure if this is a bug or something, but I need help with this problem.

How can I fix this?

:)

MatthewSibley, Apr 7, 2020

2. Search (file explorer) broken in 9879

Jimbo45

The search is different in Windows 10. Here are a few example searches:

A minimum file size, simply type size:>30,000KB into the Search box and press Enter. A size range search would be size:750MB..2GB.
    type:=.pdf or type:=.doc will display specific file types.
    filename:x will display files using a partial filename. x represents the partial filename you want to search for.
    kind:video, kind:music or kind*Tongueictures will find all the videos, music or pictures.

If you just click or tap in the Search box, Search Tools will appear which allows the choosing of a Kind, a Size, Date Modified, Other Properties and Advanced search. In Folder Options > Search Tab, the search options can be changed, e.g. Find partial matches.

Providing the location is indexed, you can search in File Explorer for a specific word or phrase by typing content: followed by your phrase enclosed in double quotes. This will produce a list of files matching the criterion.

Speed up the search by opening File Explorer (was Windows Explorer) at the folder you want to search, rather than at the root folder. Also, pressing F3 will show Search options like Date Modified and Size.

After displaying the search results, click or tap the heading of the field you want the results sorted by. If the field is not showing, click or tap View > Sort by > More, scroll down and put a tick in, say, Path. This will add the Path column to the display. Press Alt if the Menu bar is not showing.

BurrWalnut, Apr 7, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Apr 7, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

File Explorer Search Location Options Are Broken

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer Search Location Options Are Broken

1. File Explorer Search Location Options Are Broken - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer is broken: Every time file explorer is opened, the program freezes. Specific symptoms:"Saving As" in any software brings up the file explorer window that freezes for several seconds.Right clicking on desktop crashes Explorer, the taskbar stops working, everything resets.Opening up a...
  3. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer is broken: Every time file explorer is opened, the program freezes. Specific symptoms:"Saving As" in any software brings up the file explorer window that freezes for several seconds.Right clicking on desktop crashes Explorer, the taskbar stops working, everything resets.Opening up a...
  4. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations

File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations: I have many similar files created from templates. They are in an indexed location. When I search in File Explorer they ALL appear in the search results due to their content. Sometimes I want to search through just the file names, not the content, in an indexed location....
  6. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  7. File Explorer is Broken

File Explorer is Broken: [ATTACH] Whenever I go into File Explorer this happens, and everything is invisible or covering other things I am trying to get to. What's happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-is-broken/8ce54f11-9912-4437-b800-70efda655e48
  8. File explorer search broken?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search broken?: Latest version of Windows 10 1909, after some time it randomly won't let me search on file explorer..can't click on the search bar...nothing happens. Have to signout/restart or manually restart file explorer. Anyone else? submitted by /u/RedditUser09138 [link] [comments]...
  9. File Explorer Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Broken: Company purchased two new Dell machines with windows 10 pro installed. Did the gamut of prepping them with getting them joined to our domain network, installing office 2013, AV etc. etc. Both machines worked fine. One client machine has SQL Express installed in order to...
  10. Search (file explorer) broken in 9879

in Windows 10 Support
    Search (file explorer) broken in 9879: Hi there I think the search is broken in file explorer in 9879 Say I'm just looking for all my ISO files -- I used to type in the search argument *.iso or even .iso and it would list all files xxxxxx.iso Now the search returns ANY STRING CONTAINING iso in it such as...