Windows 10: File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

Discus and support File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When in the file explorer normally I can find files easily by doing control-F then typing in a few letters or if looking for a specific type using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChadCriswell, Nov 23, 2019.

1. File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

When in the file explorer normally I can find files easily by doing control-F then typing in a few letters or if looking for a specific type using type:.zip for example. On my new Windows 10 machine (purchased just a few weeks ago) this doesn't work. See the video below for an example. Even when there is obviously a file right there visible in the folder when I type the start of the filename in the search box it doesn't show it at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16chk2X3bKmKgFbpcbXKGnDGdpdI8EXnH/view

What I have done so far:

I went through some steps found in other posts and checked to make sure that services.msc had the Windows Search running (you will see me check this in the video linked above).

Ran the troubleshooter as suggested in another post but it said that no problems were found.

How can I get this fixed?

:)

ChadCriswell, Nov 23, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 23, 2019
  4. Ravenlyn Win User

File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Thank you, but I ended up doing it manually, and there were some I couldn't find. It just seems odd that since sometimes the file length in time is displayed (I'm not sure what magic makes it show sometimes and sometimes not when I'm generally doing the
    same thing) that Explorer can't sort that way.

Ravenlyn, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

1. File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there - Similar Threads - File explorer search

2. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there: After looking at the numerous inquiries about how to make this work and being unsuccessful, and not wanting to waste a lot of time trying to make it work, I resorted to using the following MS-DOS command:FOR /F %i IN 'FINDSTR /M "string-to-be-searched" *.txt *.tmp' DO...
  3. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there: After looking at the numerous inquiries about how to make this work and being unsuccessful, and not wanting to waste a lot of time trying to make it work, I resorted to using the following MS-DOS command:FOR /F %i IN 'FINDSTR /M "string-to-be-searched" *.txt *.tmp' DO...
  4. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Where to find Help for File Explorer Search?

Where to find Help for File Explorer Search?: Summary Question:Does anyone know if there's any comprehensive Help published by Microsoft for using its File Explorer Search?And if so... how does one find it as F1 and ? Don't Work. More Complete Information:This may or may not sound like a silly question: But for the life...
  6. Where to find Help for File Explorer Search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where to find Help for File Explorer Search?: Summary Question:Does anyone know if there's any comprehensive Help published by Microsoft for using its File Explorer Search?And if so... how does one find it as F1 and ? Don't Work. More Complete Information:This may or may not sound like a silly question: But for the life...
  7. Where to find Help for File Explorer Search?

8. file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files: I searched for a single a. I got 900,000 alphabetized results, but nothing after k. I searched for goka and got 12 results, but nothing after m. Search troubleshooter did not fix it. What should I do?...
  9. file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files

file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files: I searched for a single a. I got 900,000 alphabetized results, but nothing after k. I searched for goka and got 12 results, but nothing after m. Search troubleshooter did not fix it. What should I do?...
  10. File Explore Search not working for finding files by content

File Explore Search not working for finding files by content: I have a directory that when I use the File Explorer search, it will not find files by its content even though I know that some files in the directory or subdirectory do contain the given search string. This is quite a common problem and I seem dozens of posted solutions,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer search not finding files