Windows 10: File Explorer search not getting expected results when searching Sharepoint locations

Discus and support File Explorer search not getting expected results when searching Sharepoint locations in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have many file names that include the date in the MMDDYYY format. for example: 01132020 Request 123456 Approved 01152020 Request 123457 Approved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jwelch176, Jul 16, 2020.

1. jwelch176 Win User

File Explorer search not getting expected results when searching Sharepoint locations

I have many file names that include the date in the MMDDYYY format. for example:

01132020 Request 123456 Approved

01152020 Request 123457 Approved

02012020 Request 123460 Approved

02022020 Request 123462 Denied

2020 Approved Requests Log

These files are in my Documents folder on This PC and an MS SharePoint location that is synced to my computer so it can be searched using File Explorer.

Using the above example, if I want to find all Approved requests for 2020 I use File Explorer. I search for "*2020 Approved" in my Documents folder it will find four documents with this year's date and the word Approved in the file name. This same search in a MS SharePoint location will only find the last file name.

I'm sure my problem is that the search parameters utilizing number sequences are different on SharePoint and OneDrive than on this PC. What search criteria do I need to use to get my SharePoint search to provide the desired results all four files?

:)

jwelch176, Jul 16, 2020

2. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them.

Before search:

File Explorer search not getting expected results when searching Sharepoint locations [​IMG]

After search for "Get"

File Explorer search not getting expected results when searching Sharepoint locations [​IMG]

Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does zilch.

nigelmercier, Jul 16, 2020
  3. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed.

How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results.

Verson: 1909

OS Build: 18363.535

NigelsNutInLaw, Jul 16, 2020
  4. File Explorer search not getting expected results when searching Sharepoint locations

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer search not getting expected results when searching Sharepoint locations

1. File Explorer search not getting expected results when searching Sharepoint locations - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. Searching folders doesn't give expected results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching folders doesn't give expected results: So I tried searching my folders for script but I did not find results despite files containing script in the name existing https://pasteboard.co/dVI7XHZOoh0F.pnghttps://pasteboard.co/08YS4QXVDqQA.pngp.s. pasting images here is not working....
  3. Searching folders doesn't give expected results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching folders doesn't give expected results: So I tried searching my folders for script but I did not find results despite files containing script in the name existing https://pasteboard.co/dVI7XHZOoh0F.pnghttps://pasteboard.co/08YS4QXVDqQA.pngp.s. pasting images here is not working....
  4. Searching folders doesn't give expected results

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results: Try this: Open Windows Explorer Go to Quick access -> Desktop Right-click on empty area -> New -> Text Document Search "New Text Document" without quotes In the search results, right-click "New Text Document.txt" -> Send to -> Desktop create shortcut Go back to Quick access...
  6. File Explorer Search not working as expected

File Explorer Search not working as expected: Hi, I have Word & Excel files with multiple dashes in the the filename. For example, ABC-DEF-GHI.xlsx If I search for DEF in File Explorer then nothing appears. Is there a way around this? Replacing either of the dashes by a space works.....but I have a lot of files...
  7. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  8. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders: I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from the Navigation page, I can search for a file (IMG_2354) and find it correctly. The file is located in...
  9. How to get out of Explorer Search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get out of Explorer Search results?: Search for something in Explorer and no matter where you click around the path stays stuck at (for example) Search results in Photos > Found folder Open a subfolder and it stays at Search results in Photos > Found folder > Subfolder Right click and open in new window...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...