Windows 10: File Explorer search not working at all (Yes I've searched for my exact issue nothing has...

Discus and support File Explorer search not working at all (Yes I've searched for my exact issue nothing has... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello there! Just so I don't get yelled at: I have searched for my problem and nothing has matched it here or in multiple google searches and I still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pyrota111000, Feb 28, 2019.

1. File Explorer search not working at all (Yes I've searched for my exact issue nothing has...

Hello there!

Just so I don't get yelled at: I have searched for my problem and nothing has matched it here or in multiple google searches and I still tried all the "fixes" just in case something actually worked. I've checked to make sure Windows Search in services was on Automatic. I have tried restarting the services I have tried restarting Cortana and other related services. I've tried fixing errors in the command prompt using administrator using DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow . I have done everything shy of just reinstalling Windows 10. Windows is up to date, all drivers are up to date.

Just yesterday this started after getting rid of some malware and adware that was accidentally installed. Malwarebytes and AVG caught it right away as I stupidly installed something without doing a custom installation to make sure there were no other programs being installed. .. removed everything in safe mode and deleted residual folders and fixed registry problems with PC Tuneup Computer has a completely clean bill of health now. Of course the first time in 15 years I'm lazy and just click continue on everything I get bit lol.

My issue is that search isn't working in the file explorer .. I don't mean its coming up with the "Nothing matches your search" or whatever it says page. I mean its not even going to a results page at all when I search .. I can go into the C drive and search for something I know I have like Steam and the green status bar moves on the address bar but the page doesn't change .. it stays on the C drive page for the entire cycle of the green status bar and just does nothing.

Its not frozen or not responding I can click all the folders and do other things just fine while it "searches". The search will not .. "initiate"? I guess is the best way to describe it. I type it in and the green bar moves that's all that happens .. nothing changes.

There are no symptoms of anything else going on and the PC doesn't slow down at all while the green bar moves across the address bar .. it acts like its searching and it probably is .. Its just not showing me the results page or anything other than where I started the search from. All settings are the same as they were I changed absolutely nothing.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? It doesn't appear like anyone has based on my searches lol. Maybe I am just stupid and missing something really easy which is why no one has ever posted about this before. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Even if it turns out I'm stupid lol.

:)

Pyrota111000, Feb 28, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer search tool not working

I have tried all the above steps but I am unable to find and search a file with email address as search key.

Please help.

Regards

Dr. Saleem Siddiqi

Dr Saleem Siddiqi, Feb 28, 2019
  4. File Explorer search not working at all (Yes I've searched for my exact issue nothing has...

Windows 10 File Explorer search tool not working

Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing an issue with the search in the File Explorer. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to run the Search and indexing troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps provided below.

• Press Windows logo key + X Key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Double Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option, on left hand side of the window.
    • Click on Search and indexing and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer search not working at all (Yes I've searched for my exact issue nothing has...

1. File Explorer search not working at all (Yes I've searched for my exact issue nothing has... - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. search & file explorer search not working

in Cortana
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  3. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  4. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My windows Search Bar, File Explorer search all stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows Search Bar, File Explorer search all stopped working: Hello guys, my pc ran into that blue screen error. When I restart, none of the searches is working.When I click on the search bar, it doesn't load.When I click on the windows icon and then search, the window just minimizes.On File Explorer, if I click and want to type...
  6. My windows Search Bar, File Explorer search all stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows Search Bar, File Explorer search all stopped working: Hello guys, my pc ran into that blue screen error. When I restart, none of the searches is working.When I click on the search bar, it doesn't load.When I click on the windows icon and then search, the window just minimizes.On File Explorer, if I click and want to type...
  7. File Explorer Search Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Search Issue: After updating to windows 11 there was an issue with my file search. Rebuilding the index MOSTLY fixed the problem, however search only searches titles and not contents. I need it to search through word documents and not just their titles...
  8. File Explorer Search Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search Issue: I am typing into File Explorer and it keeps acting like every key I click is a new search. In the past I was able to type "Ca" and it would find a folder that starts with "Ca" but now it searches for the first C folder and then when I hit A it moves to the A folders. What...
  9. Windows Search and File Explorer Search has stopped working.

in Cortana
    Windows Search and File Explorer Search has stopped working.: Hello, Microsoft forums! This problem started a few weeks ago where my Search in my taskbar stopped working, where when you click on it nothing happens. I later discovered that the folder search in File Explorer has also stopped working in the same vein as the taskbar one....
  10. File Explorer Search Issue

in Cortana
    File Explorer Search Issue: Hello, I got a strange issue with the search in Windows 10. If I try to search anything in File Explorer, I type what I want and press ENTER, nothing happens at all, it only searches when I press the arrow button that shows up in the search box. [ATTACH] I've tried...