Windows 10: File Explorer Search Not Working

Discus and support File Explorer Search Not Working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently, I have observed the Search feature of the File Explorer does not work (e.g., No items match your search). The folders I'm searching are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by claytoncarney, Oct 16, 2015.

1. File Explorer Search Not Working

Recently, I have observed the Search feature of the File Explorer does not work (e.g., No items match your search). The folders I'm searching are indexed. I've tried rebuilding the index. I can even drill down to a folder I know contains the sought file and entering a search word in the file's name and search returns nothing.

For example, D:\Users\Clayton is indexed with no exclusions (all subdirectories included). I can search from D:\Users\Clayton\Books for 'code'. That folder has many subfolders with files containing 'code' in the filename/contents. Yet search returns nothing.

D:\Users\Clayton\Books is shared to my HomeGroup. I thought perhaps that might be a factor. However, even if I stop sharing, the results are the same. Most of my existing shared folders exhibit this behavior. However, if I add a folder to my Homegroup, search seems to work.

I just don't get it. I have successfully performed searches like this in Windows 7 all the time. Is Windows 10 just broken?

UPDATE: From my laptop (also Win10), I can search the Books HomeGroup share and find matches. However, going back to the desktop machine where the share resides, the same search fails.

UPDATE 2: On my desktop, if I remove D:\Users\Clayton from my indexed locations, searches work. This is repeatable. When indexed, search fails. When not indexed, search works. WTF?

:)

claytoncarney, Oct 16, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Oct 16, 2015
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    File Explorer Search Not Working

Thank you for the update.

We're glad that the has been resolved. There's a possibility that some of the Windows settings have changed due to Windows updates installation.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Oct 16, 2015
  4. File Explorer Search Not Working

Perhaps my post is not clear. Here's (MEGA) a screencast demonstrating the problem.

claytoncarney, Dec 15, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    So the search is finding off-PC content but not items on your PC itself?

Take a look at this page and see if that helps you.

Please take a screenshot of your indexing locations dialog.

swarfega, Dec 15, 2015
  6. File Explorer Search Not Working [​IMG]

7. claytoncarney, Dec 15, 2015
  8. File Explorer Search Not Working

What am I missing? I don't see anything different here...

9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, is it as simple as this?
    Set up your search and when you do, click in the search field, and the search tab, then make sure (under the Search tab) you click 'All subfolders' if that's what you want the search to do.

I know others have struggled with explorer search. It's about setting up which area it's searching, but not very intuitive.

Please ignore if irrelevant to your post- I didn't look at the videos.

dalchina, Dec 15, 2015
  10. I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 27, 2015
  11. Marina Win User
    Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions - Windows Help

This is for windows 7, but it applies to windows 10 too:
    It might be because of the security settings for that folder. For a folder and its content to be indexed, it must be configured with the System permission. Most folders already have this, but there are some cases where a folder might be missing theSystem permission.
    To add the System permission to a folder

• Right-click the folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
    • If you don't see System listed under Group or user names, click Edit.
    • Click Add, type System in the box that appears, and then click Check Names.
    • Under Matching names, click System, and then click OK until all of the open dialog boxes you've opened are closed.

You'll need to rebuild the index once you've made this change.

Marina, Dec 29, 2015
  12. You nailed it! Problem solved. Many thanks!

claytoncarney, Dec 29, 2015
  13. soleary73 Win User

This worked for me too!

soleary73, Mar 5, 2017
  14. Hey guys,
    Was searching for a solution to this exact problem and found you. I've tried the solutions, but unfortunately none of them seem to be working. The folders in question all have the relevant permissions, everything is indexed... The only difference is that the files are on a separate hard drive to my OS - shouldn't be a problem, surely?
    Any other suggestions guys, because I'm really stuck here!!

cheers

danners430, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Search Not Working - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Cortana
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  3. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  4. search & file explorer search not working

in Cortana
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  5. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  6. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  8. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  9. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. File Explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer search not working: Hi, I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. The search in the task bar seems to be working perfectly but the search bar in file explorer does not display any results. I tried rebuilding, modifying the indices but still no change. . [img] [img] [img]...