Windows 10: File Explorer search results show non-exact matches

Discus and support File Explorer search results show non-exact matches in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When searching in File Explorer, the term 'm990-03-02' returns two files: 1) M990-03-02 2) M990-02-03 Why is -02-03 appearing? I tried to wrap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rjcousineau, Mar 22, 2019.

1. File Explorer search results show non-exact matches

When searching in File Explorer, the term 'm990-03-02' returns two files:

1) M990-03-02

2) M990-02-03

Why is -02-03 appearing?

I tried to wrap the search term in double quotes ("m990-03-02") however both files still appear in the search results.

Is there a setting to control the matching?

Win10, 1809 17763.379

Thanks

:)

rjcousineau, Mar 22, 2019
  2. chasw98 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer search options

When I search for a file the results shows files that match my search criteria but also files where the characters within the content of a file matches the search criteria.

I want the results to show only FILE NAMES that match the search criteria.

I do not want file names listed where the content is match.

The File Explorer Search Option tab last box UNCHECKED setting that I thought would control the search has no effect.

Where is the Windows 10 File Explorer search option to NOT include (or exclude) searching the content of a file?

File Explorer search results show non-exact matches 619f62e4-d15a-4c56-8fac-e21d6a5b1104.jpg

chasw98, Mar 22, 2019
  3. Aock Win User
    Not getting exact results while searching files in File Explorer

Old title: File Search

Recently while trying to search files that contain specific letters or words in the files themselves, my file explorer doesn't show all the results, it only shows files that begin with said text or lettering, and no text documents themselves even if the
    document contains the word or words.

I have all the advanced options turned on. Is there any fix or setting for this that I'm missing? I have Cortana turned off, too.

4. File Explorer search results show non-exact matches

File Explorer Search: Results not opening

When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them.

Before search:

File Explorer search results show non-exact matches [​IMG]

After search for "Get"

File Explorer search results show non-exact matches [​IMG]

Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does zilch.

nigelmercier, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer search results show non-exact matches

1. File Explorer search results show non-exact matches - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. File Explorer search results showing up twice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search results showing up twice.: For a few months now when i try to search something in file explorer pictures will show up twice after a certain date is reached. I dont know the exact date but it starts in september of 2022. This makes it very hard to navigate and search since I have a lot of pictures saved...
  3. File Explorer search results showing up twice.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search results showing up twice.: For a few months now when i try to search something in file explorer pictures will show up twice after a certain date is reached. I dont know the exact date but it starts in september of 2022. This makes it very hard to navigate and search since I have a lot of pictures saved...
  4. Windows Explorer search not finding matching results when it should

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer search not finding matching results when it should: I just fresh installed Windows 10 and I'm already having problems with File Explorer. Why doesn't it find files even though they exist? In this example, I'm in a folder with a file called "00177.MTS", you can see it clearly exists. But if I search this folder for 177 or...
  5. How to search for exact match in file contents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to search for exact match in file contents?: Is it possible to specify an exact match when searching for text within the contents of files? I am trying to use the search bar in the upper right corner of Windows Explorer to search for an exact text string in a folder full of PDFs and have tried the following methods...
  6. Windows Explorer search - find the exact match

Windows Explorer search - find the exact match: I'm serching for files that has the 1 appended to the name If I enter "1" the search returns all files that has "1" in the name. How to turn off this annoying behavior?...
  7. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  8. Windows file explorer search results -- I want search results to show a preview of my...

in Cortana
    Windows file explorer search results -- I want search results to show a preview of my...: Hello, I recently got a new computer and I am having trouble with the search results in windows file explorer. I changed the indexing settings so I am able to search the contents of the files. However, the results only highlight my search term in the document's path...
  9. Search file not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file not showing results: HI, I have a file, and when I search for "youtube" it doesn't show results. but when I search for "youtu" it will highlight the "youtu" in each name of the links and show all the links. if I add the b , again there will be no results. why is it? thanks! 134238
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. exact match in file explore

2. search exact title in file explorer

3. file explorer search exact match

4. how to search for exact matches in windows explorer,
  5. windows file explorer search setting non-exact search