Windows 10: File explorer search returns no files when I search by using the “Date Modified” drop-down list

Discus and support File explorer search returns no files when I search by using the “Date Modified” drop-down list in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; It was working until a week or 2 ago. I may have changed a parameter in View. Searches using 'kind' and 'other properties' does get results.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JanieB[techy], Jun 4, 2019.

1. File explorer search returns no files when I search by using the “Date Modified” drop-down list

It was working until a week or 2 ago. I may have changed a parameter in View. Searches using 'kind' and 'other properties' does get results.

:)

JanieB[techy], Jun 4, 2019
  2. CBroda Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer doesn't find some files by date modified

Just tried some batch files with some DOS commands. Curiously when I found one to search my D drive using a string of text (yesterday's date), several files showed up. All were modified yesterday and are on my D drive. Here it is:

@echo off

dir D:\*.* /s /t:c | findstr "7/31/2017" >Directory_by_date.txt

start /w notepad "Directory_by_date.txt"

exit

When I looked at the few files that showed up in the File Explorer search by date, THEY WERE NOT THE SAME LISTS AT ALL! Not one file was on both lists. And neither list had a couple of files I knew were modified yesterday.

So now I have three ways to search for files by modified date:

• DIR gives me one list.
    • File Explorer search gives me a different list.
    • Visually scanning every directory I know I worked on gives me other files that were modified yesterday, some on the above lists some not.
    So what this means is no method is reliable.

I give up.

CBroda, Jun 4, 2019
  3. How do I search for files modified after a certain date in Windows 10, NOT files just modifies last week,month,year,etc

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your response.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open a Folder and type a file you wanted to search.
    • Type ModifiedFile explorer search returns no files when I search by using the “Date Modified” drop-down list :Date of modified in the search box. Example:
      Modified:1/7/2016
    • It will show all the files which are modified on the particular date.
    Hope this information helps.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jun 4, 2019
  4. File explorer search returns no files when I search by using the “Date Modified” drop-down list

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

File explorer search returns no files when I search by using the “Date Modified” drop-down list

1. File explorer search returns no files when I search by using the “Date Modified” drop-down list - Similar Threads - File explorer search

2. Using File Explorer to search by date range

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using File Explorer to search by date range: I rarely use File Explorer because I find it one of the least user-friendly facilities I've ever come across. But now I need to search a folder and its sub-folders for all files created or modified between 2 particular dates. My experience thus far is:I want to search...
  3. Using File Explorer to search by date range

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using File Explorer to search by date range: I rarely use File Explorer because I find it one of the least user-friendly facilities I've ever come across. But now I need to search a folder and its sub-folders for all files created or modified between 2 particular dates. My experience thus far is:I want to search...
  4. Using File Explorer to search by date range

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to search Pictures file by date modified anymore

Unable to search Pictures file by date modified anymore: I put all my photos that I edit into the Pictures folder. I used to upload them to Facebook and Instagram by selecting them by "Date Modified" in the upper right corner.... That option disappeared for some reason and I can't find how to get it back... Any ideas what...
  6. File Explorer Search Date Limited

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search Date Limited: I have updated to Windows 10 Ver. 2004. Ever since the update the search feature of File Explorer is acting weird. I have a folder with folders and files dating back to 2007. When I do a search for Adobe PDF files (there are hundreds going back to 2007) I only get the PDF...
  7. Date Modified in File Explorer

Date Modified in File Explorer: Hi, Recently I discovered that some of the files in a folder have missing date modified information in the date modified column. Please see the below screenshots describing the exact problem. [ATTACH] When I select 'Properties' of a file that does not have date...
  8. Cannot search for files by date modified.

Cannot search for files by date modified.: There are not search options in Windows 10. I cannot find where to select search by date modified: xx/xx/xxxx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-search-for-files-by-date-modified/8975c3ad-ccd7-43d3-96f7-50aed8abaf3b
  9. Searching for files by date *moved*? (not accessed or modified)

Searching for files by date *moved*? (not accessed or modified): I've recently been moving a lot of pdf files from an "unsorted" folder to others where they are sorted by content. There is one I saw about a week ago I am trying to find again, but none of the search options seem to work for locating it because moving a file from one folder...
  10. File Explorer search returning too much

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer search returning too much: I have figured out that when File Explorer searches, it includes the filepath as well as file name and contents. I see this as a problem, since I rarely, if ever, search based on the filepath. Please tell me there's a way to turn this off. I also see an option for whether...