Windows 10: File Explorer search syntax

Discus and support File Explorer search syntax in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since local help files have become, for reasons I cannot fathom, anachronistic, I have been looking for current documentation on the use of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scottjkelly, Feb 23, 2020.

1. File Explorer search syntax

Since local help files have become, for reasons I cannot fathom, anachronistic, I have been looking for current documentation on the use of the built-in file search tools on Windows 10. I'm in need of the full set of syntax and usage.

I can't find what I need because, paradoxically, I don't know what passes for syntax for Microsoft search engines and tools, so with having to guess, and I really shouldn't have to, so my search results are more about "it's broke, help me fix" nature, or development references, and lastly, IT admin tools, like power shells or other overkill options. I just want to learn how to make best use of the search tool on my local files.

Thank you.

:)

Scottjkelly, Feb 23, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Feb 23, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Feb 23, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

File Explorer search syntax

Windows Syntax & Search

Hi, it seems the difficulty is that you must specify text from the start of the string.

The question is discussed here:
    File Explorer how to search content using wildcards

Neither * nor ? are recognised as wild card characters in content search- * seems to be ignored.
    (They are valid for filename search though).

What works (for me!)
    abc*
    abc
    abc123

Note that
    *abc finds the file, which might suggest
    *3abc would, but it doesn't.

What doesn’t work:
    *123abc
    ???123*
    ???123???
    123abc
    abc*abc

Advanced Query Syntax gives a lot of information, but is old and not complete.
    Even 'How to Geek' only gives a simple example of text content search
    Learning Windows Search: Use Boolean, Dates, and Wildcards to Give Your Searches a Boost

3rd party tools are just simpler.. even if they don't index content like this one:

File Explorer search syntax [​IMG]

Here I started from 'Everywhere' (both disks), specified txt documents containing 123abc

The result was fairly quick.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer search syntax

1. File Explorer search syntax - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. syntax for searching for text within a particular file type

in Cortana
    syntax for searching for text within a particular file type: Hello. I want to find specific text within a file type with extension .RSpecifically, for exampleI tried a search like this:NCNA.tib ext:"R" and the resulting file does not show upa search like ext:"R" works and brings up all the R filesFurther, if I click on one of those...
  3. What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  4. Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  5. File explorer search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search: Whenever i search for files and I type ‘ash’ it only returns results for file names starting with ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ etc. Is there a setting I can change so that when i search for ‘ash’ it returns any file name containing ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ ‘Crashing.docx’ ‘Call me...
  6. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  7. Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??: Does anyone know if there is a syntax for finding all folders containing certain types of files? Like if I wanted to find every folder on my D drive containing photos (and have just the folders listed in the search results.) Or find every folder containing ebooks, whatever....
  8. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: I'm having trouble using file explorer quick search. When opening a file in file explorer search bar and searching for specific files with similar names, Windows used to auotpopulate common characters in a drop down box. Now it only populates with recently used file names...
  9. Syntax for a search URL

in Browsers and Email
    Syntax for a search URL: A long time ago, when I had Avant Browser, there was a system for pasting a URL in a browser's address bar, & putting something at the end that would go to a specific site & do a search there. It has something to do with %s or \%s, I can't recall. For example, if you wanted...
  10. Windows Syntax & Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Syntax & Search: Hi! . I want to search for strings that occur within the contents of text files. . I am definitely missing something with respect to Windows' search syntax or Windows in general...sorry! . To avoid the complexity of my specific issue, I created the following test...