Windows 10: File Explorer Searching Randomly?

Discus and support File Explorer Searching Randomly? in Cortana to solve the problem; Strange things going on in my file explorer. Out of the blue, one of my open windows will start running a search on its own. As far as I can tell, it's... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by J KevinRichter, Mar 22, 2022.

1. File Explorer Searching Randomly?

Strange things going on in my file explorer. Out of the blue, one of my open windows will start running a search on its own. As far as I can tell, it's always a recent search I've previously run. The only way I can prevent it from repeating this randomly is to clear previous searches. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is triggering this. Am I missing something obvious or is this a little-known bug? Any help is super appreciated. Thanks.

:)

J KevinRichter, Mar 22, 2022

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Mar 22, 2022
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 22, 2022
  4. File Explorer Searching Randomly?

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Mar 22, 2022
Thema:

File Explorer Searching Randomly?

1. File Explorer Searching Randomly? - Similar Threads - File Explorer Searching

2. File Explorer Searching Randomly?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Searching Randomly?: Strange things going on in my file explorer. Out of the blue, one of my open windows will start running a search on its own. As far as I can tell, it's always a recent search I've previously run. The only way I can prevent it from repeating this randomly is to clear previous...
  3. File Explorer Searching Randomly?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Searching Randomly?: Strange things going on in my file explorer. Out of the blue, one of my open windows will start running a search on its own. As far as I can tell, it's always a recent search I've previously run. The only way I can prevent it from repeating this randomly is to clear previous...
  4. File explorer search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search: Whenever i search for files and I type ‘ash’ it only returns results for file names starting with ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ etc. Is there a setting I can change so that when i search for ‘ash’ it returns any file name containing ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ ‘Crashing.docx’ ‘Call me...
  5. File Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  6. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: Hello, I have Windows 10 on a Dell laptop and my File Explorer search finds most of my files but seems to ignore a few, even when I'm searching in the very folder in which they are saved and even when I search for their name rather than for words that occur inside them....
  7. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: I'm having trouble using file explorer quick search. When opening a file in file explorer search bar and searching for specific files with similar names, Windows used to auotpopulate common characters in a drop down box. Now it only populates with recently used file names...
  8. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: My work shares a network and has thousands of different jobs and job numbers in a project folder. In the past I have been able to use the search in the top right corner of the file explorer to fine the specific job I need. However, after upgrading to Windows 10 I am no longer...
  9. Search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search in File Explorer: In a folder, I can start typing the name of a known file. As I type, it will show up in the results until I get about six characters into the file name. After that, it disappears. Is this normal and is there a reason or fix for it? Thanks. submitted by /u/mrmushroom08...
  10. Searching File Explorer

Searching File Explorer: Apparently from what I have read-we are all stuck by chuck when doing a search within File Explorer. When I do a word search, it seems to go into a document to find matches with your search. The problem becomes you now have to search through all these folders, files, or...