Windows 10: File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management

Discus and support File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Disk management shows external L drive with 931.32 GB, but when I look at it in File Explorer, it only shows 453 GB. The disk previously had three... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MS-Eric, Feb 17, 2020.

1. MS-Eric Win User

File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management

Disk management shows external L drive with 931.32 GB, but when I look at it in File Explorer, it only shows 453 GB.

The disk previously had three partitions Mac, Linux and Windows. I used parted in Linux to delete the two non-NTFS partitions and expand the NTFS partition to the entire HDD.. So Disk Management show this result but I'm not seeing it in File Mgr or when I choose that partition in Acronis.

I thought maybe the old partition data was stuck somewhere in Win memory, but I stopped the computer, removed the external HDD, restarted the computer, plugged the external HDD in, and am getting the same results.

I'm running a fresh upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, and most everything else seems to be going well.

:)

MS-Eric, Feb 17, 2020
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Feb 17, 2020
  4. File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management

HDD not showing in file explorer.

I have just built a new PC with an SSD and an HDD. I put Windows 10 Home on my SSD. My HDD isn't showing in the file explorer, and I checked disk management but it never made me format it or anything. I'm stuck, and I need help.

moistnapkin, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management

1. File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management - Similar Threads - File Explorer show

2. External hard drive is not showing in File Explorer and not even in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive is not showing in File Explorer and not even in Disk Management: [Windows 10 laptop, fully up to date]I bought a new Seagate Expansion 2 TB hard disk yesterday.I used it and copied 200 GB data on it. Which copied successfully. Then I copied some more data but during that I lifted my laptop to place it somewhere else but I forgot that my...
  3. task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer.: I don't know the exact specs of this as i didn't buy this laptop but when i checked its storage it was different on my file explorer .searched on google and didn't find anyone else with the same problem. i have windows version 20H2OS build 19042,1052...
  4. File Explorer will not show External HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer will not show External HDD: I have the latest updated windows 10 and I'm trying to access an External HDD that I was able to format for reuse. However, it will not show in file explorer. I've experimented and found that it does show in Disk Management and Device Manager, but I'm unable to access in...
  5. External HDD not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not showing up in disk management: My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use submitted by /u/vininhosts [link] [comments]...
  6. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  7. External HDD not showing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not showing in Explorer: Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer. The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive...
  8. External Drive not showing up in File Explorer/Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive not showing up in File Explorer/Disk Management: Hello, I have a Seagate external drive that isn't showing up on my PC. Windows makes a sound when I connect it, but it's not showing up in File Explorer and Disk Management. I've tried using a different cable one that works and connecting it to a different USB port, but it...
  9. Disk Management shows HDD but Explorer doesn't

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Management shows HDD but Explorer doesn't: I'm working with a HDD where I want to remove partitions. I can see the disk and partitions in Disk Management but not explorer. I want to see the folders/files before I start deleting partitions. This is a removeable disk in a disk bay. How can I see this disk in Windows...
  10. External HDD showing twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD showing twice in file explorer: My external drive(Samsung) connected via usb3 has started showing twice in file explorer. Opening either shows exactly the same files inside. Screen shot below, I've never tried this so I hope I've done it OK Any help with removing the "imposter" would be appreciated....