Windows 10: File explorer shows everything inside the folder instead of the folder itself

Discus and support File explorer shows everything inside the folder instead of the folder itself in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'll just give a very quick example on how it works: Let's say I wanted to find the "FNaF 2" folder in my Downloads, which has all the images used in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BonWattersen, Jan 30, 2021.

1. File explorer shows everything inside the folder instead of the folder itself

I'll just give a very quick example on how it works: Let's say I wanted to find the "FNaF 2" folder in my Downloads, which has all the images used in FNaF 2 in there, I type in "FNaF 2" in the search inside the Downloads folder, and instead of giving me the folder "FNaF 2" it shows me everything inside the folder (the files don't include "FNaF 2" in the name, they're simply just numbers from 1-X), being hundreds of images, and doesn't even show the folder itself. This only applies for the search tool and it can get annoying since searching for certain things (such as Premiere Pro stuff outside of folders) I try to search get flooded with random crap from folders with that name INSTEAD of just the folders.

How to I fix this?

submitted by /u/BonWattersen
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BonWattersen, Jan 30, 2021
  2. GSquadron Win User

Folders with zip files

I have like 30 or more folders and everyone of them has only one single zip file.
    How can I extract all zip files inside of all folders?

GSquadron, Jan 30, 2021
  3. TSmithNH Win User
    Show File Explorer FOLDER NAMES in Taskbar instead of PREVIEWS with truncated paths? - Windows 10

In Windows 7 Pro, when you have more folders open than will fit in the taskbar (the folder names all get collapsed into the File Explorer icon in the taskbar) and when you click the File Explorer icon in the taskbar the list of open folder names pop up into
    a vertical menu list of folder names from which you could choose a folder.

In Windows 10, the list of folder names has been replaced by the folder Previews which shows the beginning of the folder path (for example, C:\Users\B...) - but it does not show all of the actual open folder names unless you roll over each preview one at
    a time to see the full path with folder name. Very slow and inefficient since you can't just see the folder names all at a glance. File explorer shows everything inside the folder instead of the folder itself :(
    I'd like to see the name of the folder that is open.

Is there a way to show either show...

1. The File Explorer LIST of Folder Names like in Windows 7 (instead of folder PREVIEWS of the open folders)?

or

2. Show the open Folder Names instead of the beginning of the path... by default (without having to roll over each preview one at a time)? I don't mind the horizontal list of Previews as long as long as I could see all the folder names at a glance in the
    title bar of each preview.

Thanks in advance for any insights/tips.

TSmithNH, Jan 30, 2021
  4. File explorer shows everything inside the folder instead of the folder itself

Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

File explorer shows everything inside the folder instead of the folder itself

1. File explorer shows everything inside the folder instead of the folder itself - Similar Threads - File explorer shows

2. Show number of files in folder in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show number of files in folder in Explorer?: Using Windows 11In Explorer it will show folders and files. For folders, is there a column/field I can add along with Name, Type, Date Created, etc that will show if there are files in that folder, or how many files are in that folder? I basically want to know if folders...
  3. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer: Following recent updates on Windows 10 on both my PC And Laptop I am no longer able to see all the files on my external hard drive. It is a WD My Cloud and File Explorer now only shows Music, Photos and Videos and not the Smartware folder containg my backups. The folder is...
  4. File Explorer "save as" folders not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer "save as" folders not showing: Hi Everyone,Not even sure how to ask this question. It' sounds beyond dumb and I've never seen this before......I was working in Photoshop and went to save a file. When the "save as" window opened, the left side folder directory was totally gone – total white space. I have a...
  5. File Explorer "save as" folders not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer "save as" folders not showing: Hi Everyone,Not even sure how to ask this question. It' sounds beyond dumb and I've never seen this before......I was working in Photoshop and went to save a file. When the "save as" window opened, the left side folder directory was totally gone – total white space. I have a...
  6. File Explorer "save as" folders not showing

7. File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder: When using OneDrive, if you try to duplicate a folder, it creates a copy of all the files inside instead of creating a copy of the folder.So if I have this folder structure:New Folder file1.txtThen when I copy-paste the folder to duplicate it, I get this:New Folder file1 -...
  8. File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder

File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder: When using OneDrive, if you try to duplicate a folder, it creates a copy of all the files inside instead of creating a copy of the folder.So if I have this folder structure:New Folder file1.txtThen when I copy-paste the folder to duplicate it, I get this:New Folder file1 -...
  9. individual files showing in File Explorer instead of just folders

in Windows 10 Support
    individual files showing in File Explorer instead of just folders: Not a big problem, more of a grievance... In my library, under videos, I have about 20 folders containing different videos and grouped according to category. If I click on the arrow beside the word videos in the leftmost column, I can see all the folders displayed...
  10. File Explorer folders not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer folders not showing: I am unable to open File Explorer to the normal view (folders/files listed down left side of screen e,g, Libraries; OneDrive; This PC; Local C; Network etc.). All I see is Quick Access. I have restarted my computer and reset File Explorer defaults. I have tried to...