Windows 10: File Explorer shows Unknown User Accounts

Discus and support File Explorer shows Unknown User Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909 build 18363.657 OS which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 on 20th Aug 2019 and had updates and upgrades so it is up-to-date:... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by wiganken, Mar 1, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

File Explorer shows Unknown User Accounts

Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909 build 18363.657 OS which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 on 20th Aug 2019 and had updates and upgrades so it is up-to-date: -

When I look at the "C:\Users" folder I see the following users which are not in use on my PC. Also see picture: -
    File Explorer shows Unknown User Accounts [​IMG]

a) "Admin"
    b) "Administrator"
    c) "Guest"
    d) "Public"

User "Visitor" and the two redacted accounts shown are the only accounts in-use. It is possible that it was me that created a), b) and c) (then deleted them) but I do not remember creating account d).

Q1- Can I delete users a, b, c and d in File Explorer?
    Q2 - If it is OK to delete them is there a special way to do it?

:)

wiganken, Mar 1, 2020
  2. Steve_809 Win User

Unknown User Account created after upgrading to windows 10. It comes back if I delete it.

Original Title: Unknown User Account

Hello,

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am seeing an account that I did NOT create. So I deleted it by going into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Manage Accounts then I click on the unknown user account and delete it. That said.... It
    comes back. I have also followed the below suggestions from other posts and still does not seem to work.

Let’s try simple steps and check if the user account is detecting and try removing it.

• Press Windows key + R, type netplwiz and press Enter.

• Check if the user account is appearing on the list.

• Click on user account and click on Remove. (If user account appear on the list).
    Please advise.

Thank you

Steve_809, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Unknown user

<Okänd kontakt> is just Swedish for <Unknown contact>

When an unknown account is listed in permissions it's usually due to the file or folder having had permissions for a user account on this PC that has since been deleted. Or, if the drive is an external drive that is used by several machines, an account that exists on another PC.

Either way, as the unknown user doesn't exist on this PC then having it listed in permissions doesn't grant access to any account that actually exists.

Bree, Mar 1, 2020
  4. File Explorer shows Unknown User Accounts

Unknown User Account

Hi Brink, thanks for stepping in *Wink

"Account Unknown" is from a user account that had previously accessed the item, and the account is no longer currently available. For example, the account was deleted, or accessed by a user from another computer/network."

As far as I know there hasn't been another Account on my machine, nor accessed from other computers or network.
    Because I'm the only user. Could it not due to a major update of Windows? Some other folks allude to that on other forums...

Whatever the cause I'll try your method now and see how far I get...
    I'll keep you posted *Wink

witten1972, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer shows Unknown User Accounts

1. File Explorer shows Unknown User Accounts - Similar Threads - File Explorer shows

2. Copy user unknown account to another user.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy user unknown account to another user.: Hello, I need a way to copy or merge an unknown account user with another user account. This issue arose when I disconnected my work or school account under the settings - accounts - access work or school. I was having issues as the Azure account was limiting some control...
  3. Unknown file in Users Folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown file in Users Folder: From a past few days, I have noticed a new file with my user name being created in the Users folder. And every time I turn on my PC, this file gets opened by default. Is this something I should be worried about? Down Below, I have posted the screenshot of the contents of...
  4. Unknown File In User Folder

Unknown File In User Folder: I recently opened my users folder C:\Users and found that I have this file that wasn't there before that partialy has my user name on it. say my user name is 'albert von cooker', and the file is named 'albert' the file type is just 'file'. Is this a virus or is this normal?...
  5. File explorer not showing my user

File explorer not showing my user: So when I look in C:\Users, there's default, public, and my other account, just not my own. When I go in the search bar and manually type the name of my own account, it shows up like normal. Is there a way to fix this? I also have show hidden icons on....
  6. Unrecognized User Account In file explorer

Unrecognized User Account In file explorer: a mysterious second user is in my PC, with my files correctly labeled as C:\Users\my user name\Documents\..... ; however, appearing instead as C:\Users\thoma\Documents\.... I have no idea who thoma is, but it has become neceesssary to use file exployer to find this user thoma...
  7. Unknown User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User Account: Hi, I want to get rid of an Unknown User Account and I don't know how to do it safely. The standard method doesn't apply because I can't see my Unknown User Account in Control Panel --> User Accounts. Matter of fact no matter where I look C:\Users, usrmgr.msc, netplwiz,...
  8. Unknown User Account

Unknown User Account: Hi I recently carried out a fresh windows 10 install, however when I boot up my laptop, two User Accounts appear, one is my own and the other has an ID of "KCUBMA5". If I try to log in to this account, it requires a password. I never created this account and when I try...
  9. Unknown second user account

Unknown second user account: I took the free upgrade to Windows 10 about a week ago. An unknown second user has started appearing on the password log-in screen. It has the name 'smmosbvjntf'. It is easily removed from the user account box but usually reappears on the log-in screen within 24 hours. I...
  10. Unknown Account in list of users (File Properties/Security)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown Account in list of users (File Properties/Security): Only just recently downloaded win10 and everything is fine, however in going to edit the tag information for an audio track I noticed two additional "Groups or user names" in my list which weren't there when I was running win7. The first one is " Account Unknwon...