Windows 10: File Explorer similar file names no longer appear

Discus and support File Explorer similar file names no longer appear in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since the most recent update, similar file names no longer appear when im naming a new file. For example, if I am naming an image file "new", it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by The Meme Lord, Jun 17, 2020.

1. File Explorer similar file names no longer appear

Ever since the most recent update, similar file names no longer appear when im naming a new file. For example, if I am naming an image file "new", it doesn't show me file names with "new" in the title:

File Explorer similar file names no longer appear e8d2284a-9f16-4115-b7dd-71e947c36834?upload=true.jpg

I tried this on another windows 10 computer with the most recent update, and this feature still worked. So i'm guessing there's a setting I need to change, so I just reset all my folder options to default, and nothing changed. What do I do?

I would like this feature as I have a massive drive with thousands of files that I am constantly adding new items too, it was helpful to know if I already had it in the folder, I don't want duplicates...

:)

The Meme Lord, Jun 17, 2020
  2. mwidunn Win User

Windows Explorer Sort List No Longer Appears

I'm using Win10 Anniversary Update.

After getting the Anniversary Update, I noticed that the drop-down list in Windows Explorer no longer appears when one clicks on it under "Details View." Please, see the image below:

File Explorer similar file names no longer appear [​IMG]

For example, let us say that I wanted to organize the files only by .PDF. There is now no way to see only those files, since no matter how much one clicks, the list will not appear.

This occurs for ALL of the sort lists: File Name, Date, etc.

Can anyone advise or help?

Thanks!

mwidunn, Jun 17, 2020
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jun 17, 2020
  4. File Explorer similar file names no longer appear

Windows 10 File Explorer Won't Find Files I Actually Have!!!

I can no longer search on file name in Windows 10. Isn't searching by name a basic requirement of File Explorer?! I follow the suggestions on the Microsoft Window 10 How To online instruction: selecting the file folder for my search, and clicking Properties
    (within Properties selecting Name). Files that I actually have saved in the selected folder are not being listed in the File Explorer search results. I really need to search for files by File Name - Search results by content are too massive and totally
    unhelpful. Can anyone shed some light?!

MVH_Vineyard, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer similar file names no longer appear

1. File Explorer similar file names no longer appear - Similar Threads - File Explorer similar

2. Files in File Explorer will not appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files in File Explorer will not appear: I have windows 10 on my laptop. Recently, I have been trying to view, move and copy my files in File Explorer. Most of these files are on a USB flash drive, but sometimes when I try to view them, nothing appears in the folder. At the same time, in the path bar at the top of...
  3. Files in File Explorer will not appear

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in File Explorer will not appear: I have windows 10 on my laptop. Recently, I have been trying to view, move and copy my files in File Explorer. Most of these files are on a USB flash drive, but sometimes when I try to view them, nothing appears in the folder. At the same time, in the path bar at the top of...
  4. Files in File Explorer will not appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?: I'm having a problem with search results in File Explorer. After latest Win 11 update on March 2, 2023, File Explorer no longer highlights search terms in file names. Is this feature gone? I relied on that prior to the update and would like to have it back. Might this have...
  6. Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?

Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?: I'm having a problem with search results in File Explorer. After latest Win 11 update on March 2, 2023, File Explorer no longer highlights search terms in file names. Is this feature gone? I relied on that prior to the update and would like to have it back. Might this have...
  7. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  8. File vs Folder names similar, but different

File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  9. Detailed search for duplicate image files with similar name in File Explorer

Detailed search for duplicate image files with similar name in File Explorer: I have thousands of duplicate picture files in my File Backup storage drive and need to do some culling. File Backup is working properly now but I have too much duplication. How would I Search a folder and only isolate the second file? Please and thank you for your help....
  10. Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names

Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names: Hello, I am using windows and have the following situation: I have multiple PDF files which naming system is as following: 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1801 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1802 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1807 I also have folders that are named as following:...