Windows 10: File explorer slow and not working

Discus and support File explorer slow and not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, When I go on to file explorer it loads up fine, however none of the files and documents and such have icons, its just the blank page icon as if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LewisHammerton, Nov 8, 2020.

1. File explorer slow and not working

Hi,

When I go on to file explorer it loads up fine, however none of the files and documents and such have icons, its just the blank page icon as if the file explorer doesnt know what kind of file it is. Then i close file explorer abd open it again and it doesnt show anything it just saying "working on it" while the green bar on the file path bar stays in the same place.

On top of this when i save something on word after writing na essay or something, the file explorer so k can choose where to save it and the name doesnt open as it should and word becomes unresponsive loosing my work. Also after opening a word document and editing it autosave doesnt work and when i try and turn it on word doesnt repond again.

I thought it might bave been a problem with my one drive however when i use my laptop everything is how it should be regarding word, OneDrive and file explorer. So im thinking that it maybe have something to do with the SSD of my desktop

I've had this problem for a while now, and have tried different soloutions such as disabling windows search and doing a full system virus scan, but i vavent come across this same priblem in the forums and discussions.

I really want this fixed as i am worried that if i leave it then all my files and important uni work will be deleted.

Thank you for responses in advance.

:)

LewisHammerton, Nov 8, 2020

2. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

Step by step guide:

1. Hold Win+r to open run

2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter

3. Click Services

4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)

5. Uncheck tickbox

6. Click apply then ok

7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

Credits : File explorer slow/Never loading solution - Windows 10 Help Forums

Hullas Jindal, Nov 8, 2020
  4. razghost Win User

File explorer slow and not working

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

File explorer slow and not working

1. File explorer slow and not working - Similar Threads - File explorer slow

2. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  3. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  4. file explorer loading slow

file explorer loading slow: whenever i wanna open up a file on my pc the file takes a long time to open I've checked for viruses and memory leaks i cant figure out what is cause it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-loading-slow/82a7795c-5021-494a-8798-c24ac7d4c4a4
  5. file explorer search running slow/ not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search running slow/ not working: When I try to search a drive, folder or anything using the "quick search access" it doesn't seem to be working. It gets stuck just before the end, and no search result is given. I have tried the fix tool to no avail. It seems with older versions it was a matter of a few...
  6. file explorer search running slow/ not working

file explorer search running slow/ not working: When I try to search a drive, folder or anything using the "quick search access" it doesn't seem to be working. It gets stuck just before the end, and no search result is given. I have tried the fix tool to no avail. It seems with older versions it was a matter of a few...
  7. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  8. File Explorer Slow on Work Shared Drive

File Explorer Slow on Work Shared Drive: All of a sudden File Explorer just decided to have a mind of its own. I have fixed most of the issues, but the one hair pulling one is that the company Share Drive is extremely slow and half the time it freezes up and closes. Specifically, it extremely slow when trying to...
  9. File Explorer is working slow now or not at all

File Explorer is working slow now or not at all: I don't know what is going on with Windows 10 but now when I open file explorer it only shows Quick Access tab and Desktop tab on the left and nothing else. THen it has a green progress bar going across that takes about 2 minutes to show other drives and folder. And if I...
  10. File Explorer slow to appear

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer slow to appear: i'm running build 17763.437 but i believe this problem i've seen in earlier builds too. sometimes File Explorer appears not to open when i click on the app's icon that i have pinned to the start pg. but it does open if i then just click on the start button in the bottom left...