Windows 10: File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

Discus and support File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since microsoft, after untold years, still can't explain or fix this idiotic failure, I finally found a solution. Trust me, all the index tweaks, etc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by minmatarmelody, Nov 5, 2018.

1. File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

Since microsoft, after untold years, still can't explain or fix this idiotic failure, I finally found a solution.
    Trust me, all the index tweaks, etc etc etc don't work. I tried everything, exhaustively. You just need to dump POS file explorer.

There's a program called folder size explorer which is basically the same thing as file explorer, with its own set of tweaks and options, including folder size.
    It doesn't have as many categories available, like album, artist, etc. but for basic browsing it works lightning fast.

While explorer's green bar is crawling for literally 5 minutes or more, folder size explorer loads and lets me manipulate a folder with 3000 files by all the available categories, in a split second.
    FSE has some cool tweaks and a handy interface.

https://www.folder-size-explorer.com/index.shtml

Big thumbs up!

And to Micro$oft, the finger I'm holding up to you is not my thumb.

God knows how many times this complaint has been filed here, answered with useless nonsense by half-wit, robotic, indian microsoft techs, and left unresolved. Thanks. The biggest company on earth can't do what some guy did in his spare time and posted for free online. Wish I'd have bumped into it years ago; I was trying to solve the missing folder size issue and this fixed the nightmare green bar crap.

Please upvote this so others can find it more easily, and save themselves from the green bar hell!

:)

minmatarmelody, Nov 5, 2018
  2. MTCSLtd Win User

Slow Green progress bar in File Explorer - possible solution

I've had a problem with File Explorer since upgrading to Windows 10, where I get a green progress bar that crawls along slowly, delaying the results of folder display such as the Download and Documents folders. It could take up to a minute before the folders
    would display.

I tried many different things as possible solutions that I'd found when searching the web:

• SFC
    • DISM
    • various options in File Explorer

Nothing worked for me.

I then thought perhaps there's a problem with the indexing. I was about to rebuild the index under the control panel\Indexing\Advanced options, but by chance went into the Modify option which looks at indexed locations.

Here I noticed there were pointers to my D: drive to a series of folders which are not there any more. They appeared to be from an old user profile, with a comment beside them saying 'Unavailable'. I unticked these, clicked OK to save the changes, then restarted
    File Exlorer and found that I no longer get the slow green progress bar when I go into my Downloads and Documents folders.

I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 from Windows 8.1. I don't recall if I had this problem with Windows 8.1, but I think I probably did. Also, I used to re-direct my Documents and other personal folders to D\:username, but now I redirect them to D:\Users\username,
    and think somehow the old location was remembered by Search.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

MTCSLtd, Nov 7, 2018
  3. ilangom Win User
    File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

ilangom, Nov 7, 2018
  4. File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

I would have never thought of this -
    This DOES stop the lag with explorer, and does not seem to have any adverse effect on anything that I normally use.
    Thank you for solving the problem... AND sharing the solution with us

davidw1957, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

1. File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found - Similar Threads - File Explorer Slow

2. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.: Imagine the following:You have a superfast PC with fresh M.2 drives. Every time you access a folder, you get a slow green explorer bar on top. It does not matter how many pictures or thumbnails there are in the folder, that green bar always appears. Go to Reddit and Quora;...
  3. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.: Imagine the following:You have a superfast PC with fresh M.2 drives. Every time you access a folder, you get a slow green explorer bar on top. It does not matter how many pictures or thumbnails there are in the folder, that green bar always appears. Go to Reddit and Quora;...
  4. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer Not Completing Loading Files and Folders green bar constant and doesn't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Not Completing Loading Files and Folders green bar constant and doesn't...: I joined the Dev Build Insider Programme on 2 August. Since installing 23511.1 and 23516.1, the green bar doesn't not complete its progress in File Explorer for any of my folders in 'Documents', apart from 'Documents' itself.The update to 23521.1 yesterday did not bring a fix...
  6. File Explorer Not Completing Loading Files and Folders green bar constant and doesn't...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Not Completing Loading Files and Folders green bar constant and doesn't...: I joined the Dev Build Insider Programme on 2 August. Since installing 23511.1 and 23516.1, the green bar doesn't not complete its progress in File Explorer for any of my folders in 'Documents', apart from 'Documents' itself.The update to 23521.1 yesterday did not bring a fix...
  7. Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar: I recently upgraded to windows 10 20H2. I had a number of issues after this upgrade including, but not limited to, a black flickering screen, that could only be resolved by a reboot. I used the option to revert to the previous version on windows 10 and am now on windows 10...
  8. File explorer slow/Never loading solution

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer slow/Never loading solution: Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services...
  9. Green progress bar in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Green progress bar in File Explorer: I don't remember how or when I made a change in File Explorer, but each time I call it up now, I get a slow moving progress bar in the bar where it identifies the location. I noticed there in the search bar it shows where it is going: "search (J:) Jack" as an example. How...
  10. Windows explorer very slow (green bar)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer very slow (green bar): My windows explorer used to be very fast. Then I tried to decompress a zip file, and cancel it. Now it is very slow. symptoms: -When I press (Windows)+E nothing happens until some minutes later (before it opened winosw explorer instantly) -when explorer is open I...