Windows 10: File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

Discus and support File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since microsoft, after untold years, still can't explain or fix this idiotic failure, I finally found a solution. Trust me, all the index tweaks, etc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by minmatarmelody, Nov 5, 2018.

1. File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

Since microsoft, after untold years, still can't explain or fix this idiotic failure, I finally found a solution.
    Trust me, all the index tweaks, etc etc etc don't work. I tried everything, exhaustively. You just need to dump POS file explorer.

There's a program called folder size explorer which is basically the same thing as file explorer, with its own set of tweaks and options, including folder size.
    It doesn't have as many categories available, like album, artist, etc. but for basic browsing it works lightning fast.

While explorer's green bar is crawling for literally 5 minutes or more, folder size explorer loads and lets me manipulate a folder with 3000 files by all the available categories, in a split second.
    FSE has some cool tweaks and a handy interface.

https://www.folder-size-explorer.com/index.shtml

Big thumbs up!

And to Micro$oft, the finger I'm holding up to you is not my thumb.

God knows how many times this complaint has been filed here, answered with useless nonsense by half-wit, robotic, indian microsoft techs, and left unresolved. Thanks. The biggest company on earth can't do what some guy did in his spare time and posted for free online. Wish I'd have bumped into it years ago; I was trying to solve the missing folder size issue and this fixed the nightmare green bar crap.

Please upvote this so others can find it more easily, and save themselves from the green bar hell!

:)

minmatarmelody, Nov 5, 2018
  2. MTCSLtd Win User

Slow Green progress bar in File Explorer - possible solution

I've had a problem with File Explorer since upgrading to Windows 10, where I get a green progress bar that crawls along slowly, delaying the results of folder display such as the Download and Documents folders. It could take up to a minute before the folders
    would display.

I tried many different things as possible solutions that I'd found when searching the web:

• SFC
    • DISM
    • various options in File Explorer

Nothing worked for me.

I then thought perhaps there's a problem with the indexing. I was about to rebuild the index under the control panel\Indexing\Advanced options, but by chance went into the Modify option which looks at indexed locations.

Here I noticed there were pointers to my D: drive to a series of folders which are not there any more. They appeared to be from an old user profile, with a comment beside them saying 'Unavailable'. I unticked these, clicked OK to save the changes, then restarted
    File Exlorer and found that I no longer get the slow green progress bar when I go into my Downloads and Documents folders.

I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 from Windows 8.1. I don't recall if I had this problem with Windows 8.1, but I think I probably did. Also, I used to re-direct my Documents and other personal folders to D\:username, but now I redirect them to D:\Users\username,
    and think somehow the old location was remembered by Search.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

MTCSLtd, Nov 7, 2018
  3. ilangom Win User
    File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

ilangom, Nov 7, 2018
  4. File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

I would have never thought of this -
    This DOES stop the lag with explorer, and does not seem to have any adverse effect on anything that I normally use.
    Thank you for solving the problem... AND sharing the solution with us

davidw1957, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

1. File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found - Similar Threads - File Explorer Slow

2. Windows Explorer Green Bar Never Loads/Working on It Displayed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Green Bar Never Loads/Working on It Displayed: My laptop keeps having this issue with Explorer and nothing I found online could help. Anyone know how to fix this issue? Running Windows 10.0.18363 Build 18363 submitted by /u/fredflintstone124 [link] [comments]...
  3. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files: Hi All, When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process. When I use Total Commander to do the same thing, it installs straight away. I've also tried it after disabling my Norton AV...
  4. File explorer slow/Never loading solution

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer slow/Never loading solution: Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services...
  5. File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files: I installed Windows 10 last week as an upgrade from Windows 7, and the internet part is working good. But something with the file explorer didn't work. The Document, Pictures, Music, and Video files are still there, but the thumbnails load slowly, or not at all. If it means...
  6. Green progress bar in File Explorer

Green progress bar in File Explorer: I don't remember how or when I made a change in File Explorer, but each time I call it up now, I get a slow moving progress bar in the bar where it identifies the location. I noticed there in the search bar it shows where it is going: "search (J:) Jack" as an example. How...
  7. Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?

Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?: Can't remember what I did when tweaking indexing. But now I note that when I search on iExplorer, I've got to wait a rather long time for the green line to complete its course before the search is completed. Now, I generally do use and have been using Everything for my...
  8. Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar: I use the WindowsKey-E to bring up File Explorer (FE). I want to search for something in indexed locations. FE comes up with "This PC" in the "where to search" bar. That's fine... that's what I want. When I type something in, I get the slow green bar coming across. I don't...
  9. File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow: I've been having this problem recently, I honestly dont know what it is. My computer runs smoothly, up until I open up file explorer and it basically doesn't load. It's been sitting there for at least 40 minutes. If anyone can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it....
  10. Windows explorer very slow (green bar)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer very slow (green bar): My windows explorer used to be very fast. Then I tried to decompress a zip file, and cancel it. Now it is very slow. symptoms: -When I press (Windows)+E nothing happens until some minutes later (before it opened winosw explorer instantly) -when explorer is open I...